Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Help needed about oil leaking after oil change (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/help-needed-about-oil-leaking-after-oil-change-63604.html)

dannyguo 08-02-2013 12:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

I did the first oil change by myself today, after that I drove my truck out about 20 miles and everything seems fine. Then I went out for a late night movie, when I came back and parked in my garage I suddenly smell burning oil and found there is a huge oil leaking. I think the oil was leaking from the oil filter since I used a oil vacuum pump to get the old oil out and never touched the drain plug. I do removed the old O ring from the oil filter cap. The only thing I thought I could do wrong is that I kinds of over tighten the oil filter when I put them back using a wrench. Then I realized that so I loosed it and re tighten it by hand.
So is that what I thought cause the leaking? What should I do now? Buy a whole new oil filter? Do I need to clean the oil around engine even at somewhere I cannot see and how should I do that? And one last stupid question, how should I know if the oil filter Is tight enough without a torque wrench?

A quick update, I check the oil filter cap today, not sure if I placed the O ring to a wrong position. Which one is correct? It's a 2014 JGC and I use the new type of oil filter from MOPAR.

Attachment 27345

Attachment 27346

Many thanks!

Dann

jbradle7 08-02-2013 12:59 PM

Re: Help needed about oil leaking after oil change

Not sure what year your WK2 is, but the 2014's use a different P/N filter on the 3.6 from the older 11-13... this might be the cause of your leak?

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/be-awa...ged-55551.html

dannyguo 08-02-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbradle7 (Post 868853)
Not sure what year your WK2 is, but the 2014's use a different P/N filter on the 3.6 from the older 11-13... this might be the cause of your leak?

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/be-awa...ged-55551.html

Thanks for the replying, I should update the model information, it's a 2014 JGC and I do use the new type of oil filter.

Dabitz 08-02-2013 01:58 PM

Also the V6 filter needs to be tightened with a socket / ratchet NOT by hand. I don't have a torque wrench, I just use slight pressure and don't over do it. The problem might be that you tightened it by hand.

dannyguo 08-02-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dabitz (Post 868885)
Also the V6 filter needs to be tightened with a socket / ratchet NOT by hand. I don't have a torque wrench, I just use slight pressure and don't over do it. The problem might be that you tightened it by hand.

Yeah, that makes sense. So can I use the oil filter and O ring again by just tighten it with a ratchet? Do I need to buy a whole new one?

jbradle7 08-03-2013 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyguo (Post 868663)
A quick update, I check the oil filter cap today, not sure if I placed the O ring to a wrong position. Which one is correct? It's a 2014 JGC and I use the new type of oil filter from MOPAR.

I did my first oil change today and my o-ring was like this pic, in the recess/groove closer towards the threaded portion of the cap. Torque is 18lbft which if you don't own torque wrench, is a fair amount... definitely more than hand-tight; you should be ok to snug with a standard 3/8 drive ratchet (just don't get carried away and go all gorilla-tight on her). :)

You've prob already resolved this issue but just in case, you shouldn't need to buy a new filter/o-ring... re-position your o-ring (if required) and tighten the cap back up. The flange on the cap should be flush to the filter housing.

Hope you get things sorted out ok.

J

Dabitz 08-03-2013 10:28 PM

Since you leaked oil I would check the level. Better be safe than sorry.

dannyguo 08-04-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbradle7 (Post 869394)
I did my first oil change today and my o-ring was like this pic, in the recess/groove closer towards the threaded portion of the cap. Torque is 18lbft which if you don't own torque wrench, is a fair amount... definitely more than hand-tight; you should be ok to snug with a standard 3/8 drive ratchet (just don't get carried away and go all gorilla-tight on her). :)

You've prob already resolved this issue but just in case, you shouldn't need to buy a new filter/o-ring... re-position your o-ring (if required) and tighten the cap back up. The flange on the cap should be flush to the filter housing.

Hope you get things sorted out ok.

J

Thanks J. Just did exactly what you said. Seems there's still some oil tapping when I stop the truck. Don't know if they are the residual oil from the previous leaking. The oil level is unchanged and no oil trace when I wipe the around of oil filter after every stop. Any experience on how to clean the residual oil or how long will it disappear? Also, a funny thing about the torque wrench I used, I've never heard that click sound even in a really close distance. Don't know if the 18 lbft is too low for it, it's a 1/2 drive torque wrench with 10-150 lbft range.

dannyguo 08-04-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dabitz (Post 869466)
Since you leaked oil I would check the level. Better be safe than sorry.

I gave the old one a try but also ordered a new one. Hope the small amount oil drop when I stop my car is caused by the residual oil from last leaking...

The Evil Twin 08-06-2013 09:05 PM

8 Attachment(s)
If your wrench is the clicker type, you will know when it does. Set it to the 10 pound setting first. That way you will know how it feels/sounds.

jbradle7 08-07-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyguo (Post 869725)
Also, a funny thing about the torque wrench I used, I've never heard that click sound even in a really close distance. Don't know if the 18 lbft is too low for it, it's a 1/2 drive torque wrench with 10-150 lbft range.

As a general rule, torque wrenches are not as accurate at the far ends of their range... I'd use a 3/8 drive if you want to torque the cap.