Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wrangler-YJ, TJ & JK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f89/)
-   -   3.6L Pentastar ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f89/3-6l-pentastar-63638.html)

ADFD1 08-03-2013 06:35 AM

3.6L Pentastar ?

Hello and thanks for allowing me membership here,

I'd like to buy a 2014 JK Rubicon when I return from deployment. I read a lot about the ticking problem and want to know if it has been fixed. I read about a few 2013's with the problem and it got me thinking no one really knows for sure, hopefully someone here does though.

Depending on when I actually get back I might be looking at left over 2014's or even early 2015's :confused:. Do you think they'll still use the same engine and tranny in 2015? Or are they going to push for the 8 speed transmission and Direct Injection, or change to the new 3.2L engine? I know the 14's just started rolling, but I figure someone here on this site might be able to guess a little better than this Sailor getting ready to deploy. The good news is I'll have www. access, and something else to look forward to when I get back.

Thank you all in advance for the replies to my first post....AD

Scottina06 08-03-2013 10:20 AM

I have a 13 jku rubicon 10a and the 3.6 is a beast in this thing. I have no ticking and its smooth as butter.

mtu1293 08-31-2013 09:35 AM

Re: 3.6L Pentastar ?

I believe most of the ticking issues came from mainly early 2012s. Mine is a 2012 and no issues with the 3.6 yet.

jim.c 10-17-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADFD1 (Post 869143)
Hello and thanks for allowing me membership here, I'd like to buy a 2014 JK Rubicon when I return from deployment. I read a lot about the ticking problem and want to know if it has been fixed. I read about a few 2013's with the problem and it got me thinking no one really knows for sure, hopefully someone here does though. Depending on when I actually get back I might be looking at left over 2014's or even early 2015's :confused:. Do you think they'll still use the same engine and tranny in 2015? Or are they going to push for the 8 speed transmission and Direct Injection, or change to the new 3.2L engine? I know the 14's just started rolling, but I figure someone here on this site might be able to guess a little better than this Sailor getting ready to deploy. The good news is I'll have www. access, and something else to look forward to when I get back. Thank you all in advance for the replies to my first post....AD

You seam to have done you research . But you know life is to short, so buy an extender warranty like I did and enjoy you jeep!!!!! And thank you for serving our country. 🇺🇸

FIREHAWK 05-21-2014 04:45 PM

:)Hi, I also have a 2012 wrangler with no problems.:wavey:

tomstromie 05-23-2014 07:39 PM

I have a 2012 GC with 38,000 miles and it's as quiet as can be.

Numbercruncher 05-23-2014 09:22 PM

As others have mentioned the tick appears to be a 2012 thing. You can research A-heads vs B-heads vs C-heads to find out when in 2013 the new head was introduced that supposedly fixed the issue but by now it SHOULD BE long gone.

Also, a new 3.2 will likely have teething issues of it's own. Not only that, but I can't see it having more torque than the 3.6. They could probably get more HP out of it by revving higher, but less torque and peaking at higher revs won't be what anyone wants.

I also would have zero interest in an 8 speed tranny. Too much shifting for me. Get the 6-speed manual and you are set. If you get an auto and have it geared appropriately, the five speed should work pretty well.

NC

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADFD1 (Post 869143)
Hello and thanks for allowing me membership here,

I'd like to buy a 2014 JK Rubicon when I return from deployment. I read a lot about the ticking problem and want to know if it has been fixed. I read about a few 2013's with the problem and it got me thinking no one really knows for sure, hopefully someone here does though.

Depending on when I actually get back I might be looking at left over 2014's or even early 2015's :confused:. Do you think they'll still use the same engine and tranny in 2015? Or are they going to push for the 8 speed transmission and Direct Injection, or change to the new 3.2L engine? I know the 14's just started rolling, but I figure someone here on this site might be able to guess a little better than this Sailor getting ready to deploy. The good news is I'll have www. access, and something else to look forward to when I get back.

Thank you all in advance for the replies to my first post....AD

wingit 07-10-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numbercruncher (Post 1027150)
As others have mentioned the tick appears to be a 2012 thing. You can research A-heads vs B-heads vs C-heads to find out when in 2013 the new head was introduced that supposedly fixed the issue but by now it SHOULD BE long gone.

Also, a new 3.2 will likely have teething issues of it's own. Not only that, but I can't see it having more torque than the 3.6. They could probably get more HP out of it by revving higher, but less torque and peaking at higher revs won't be what anyone wants.

I also would have zero interest in an 8 speed tranny. Too much shifting for me. Get the 6-speed manual and you are set. If you get an auto and have it geared appropriately, the five speed should work pretty well.

NC

I got rid of a 13' manual due to tranny problems. Research showed many people having them replaced. I chose to trade in for a 14' auto because manual transmission is a "wear" item and many were paying out of pocket for their manual to be rebuilt.

Numbercruncher 07-13-2014 09:16 AM

I ama bit leery of the manual given that quite a few people have had issues. However the manual for me is part of what makes a Jeep a Jeep. Different courses for different courses but I'll just have to take my chances.

NC

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingit (Post 1049332)
I got rid of a 13' manual due to tranny problems. Research showed many people having them replaced. I chose to trade in for a 14' auto because manual transmission is a "wear" item and many were paying out of pocket for their manual to be rebuilt.

tomralph 07-13-2014 01:21 PM

Agreed. I went with a manual because that is what I learned the wheel on, so I am going to keep wheeling on that.

Miss my '75 Scout II though. Talk about a bullet proof tranny. :-)

mtruckstuff 07-14-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomralph (Post 1050850)
Agreed. I went with a manual because that is what I learned the wheel on, so I am going to keep wheeling on that.

Miss my '75 Scout II though. Talk about a bullet proof tranny. :-)

Probably a T-19, eh? Yup, bulletproof, but not always people-proof. I had a '77/T-19. Funny, years ago when I first had my JK Unlimited, I mentioned to my son out of state how the Jeep was very similar in feel to the Scout. Both excellent vehicles. Just like anything mechanical, though, in the hands of some it can and will be screwed up. I'll take a stick over an auto any day. Only issue I ever had with the Jeep tranny was the long throw to reverse, but they fixed that by 2010.

Thorosborn 07-28-2014 03:57 PM

Hello, I have a new 2014 Rubicon with 4000 miles on it. Could it be that I am just used to vehicles that shift and operate smoothly? My whole drivetrain feels sloppy and loose. The shifter needs a full acre to engage in any direction and my engine sounds like an old fashioned washing machine. Nothing is smooth and tight and my Rubicon is barely broken in. Are they all this way?