Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Clunks and thuds (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/clunks-and-thuds-63651.html)

Boomer914 08-03-2013 10:30 AM

Clunks and thuds

Hi there, I'm running with an 05 WK GC with 95k on the clock. This thud/clunk im hearing and feeling now is becoming more noticed. It seems whenever im just cruising and need to drop off the throttle and get back on it, i feel a clunk getting back on the gas. Almost like the car gets out of gear and then clunks back in. Also does it when going around corners and getting on the throttle. At lower speeds its more pronounced. I can still get the same thud at 60+. just not as hard. Ive also noticed some clunking in the downshifting when coming to a stop. HELP!!

dr.lee.baugh 08-03-2013 01:07 PM

Re: Clunks and thuds

Front axle isolator bushings could be shot.

Does it make a noise when you shift between P and D or D to R?

There is a thread here on how to replace them...it's a pita to do.

Boomer914 08-03-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.lee.baugh (Post 869282)
Front axle isolator bushings could be shot.

Does it make a noise when you shift between P and D or D to R?

There is a thread here on how to replace them...it's a pita to do.

ill give her a try next time im out. thanks.

greenwayer 08-04-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer914 (Post 869237)
Hi there, I'm running with an 05 WK GC with 95k on the clock. This thud/clunk im hearing and feeling now is becoming more noticed. It seems whenever im just cruising and need to drop off the throttle and get back on it, i feel a clunk getting back on the gas. Almost like the car gets out of gear and then clunks back in. Also does it when going around corners and getting on the throttle. At lower speeds its more pronounced. I can still get the same thud at 60+. just not as hard. Ive also noticed some clunking in the downshifting when coming to a stop. HELP!!

Same problem few thousand miles ago, and had the differential mounts replaced under warranty and all is well.

Boomer914 08-04-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenwayer (Post 869493)
Same problem few thousand miles ago, and had the differential mounts replaced under warranty and all is well.

whats the cost of repair at the shop for this?

greenwayer 08-05-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer914 (Post 869591)
whats the cost of repair at the shop for this?

I dont know mine was covered by warranty. Probably around 500-800 dollars.

Boomer914 08-06-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenwayer (Post 870392)
I dont know mine was covered by warranty. Probably around 500-800 dollars.

I got under there and looked. not sure what too much play is, but its not like when im shifting that i get a huge thud. Its like there is some extra slack some where in the drivetrain? Every time i get back on the throttle its like im slamming the trans into gear. In first, if i put it in first, i can easily recreate the issue and when the revs are coming down i can almost feel it "let go" and thus when i get on the throttle i can recreate the clunk. i dunno if that makes any sense but its similar to what a motorcycle feels like when getting back on the power. i visually inspected two of the isolators and i guess they looked ok. i didnt see or hear any clunking while i was under the car, and i had my GF shifting her around. dunno guys this problem has been here for a while.

greenwayer 08-06-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer914 (Post 870577)
I got under there and looked. not sure what too much play is, but its not like when im shifting that i get a huge thud. Its like there is some extra slack some where in the drivetrain? Every time i get back on the throttle its like im slamming the trans into gear. In first, if i put it in first, i can easily recreate the issue and when the revs are coming down i can almost feel it "let go" and thus when i get on the throttle i can recreate the clunk. i dunno if that makes any sense but its similar to what a motorcycle feels like when getting back on the power. i visually inspected two of the isolators and i guess they looked ok. i didnt see or hear any clunking while i was under the car, and i had my GF shifting her around. dunno guys this problem has been here for a while.

I don't think you can just see worn isolators and cracked mounts. Does it make the sound when you shift from reverse to drive?

Boomer914 03-24-2014 09:43 AM

I can't believe I didn't reply to this. It never really make a pronounced noise when shifting from reverse to drive. Also the problem has been for a while and it doesn't seem to have got worse.

boxedlunch 03-26-2014 12:21 PM

Have a similar problem on my '05 hemi...if the clunk is coming from the front isolator bushings or differential mounts and I don't replace them, will I end up with problems later or will it just be a comfort issue?

bluethunderjeep 03-27-2014 10:07 PM

I ignored mine for a long time. The clunking and the harsh thunk when I put it in drive. I was driving home one night and hit a large pothole, and I thought I had a flat tire for about 150 feet, but it must have been the jolt misaligned the front axle assembly until it re-aligned itself and the noise went away. With the vehicle on axle stands, I could put a power bar on one of the lug nuts and pull forward, and there was a lot of movement. All three of mine were shot. (73,000 miles)
No more issues since I replaced them. No front end noises and putting the tranny in gear is silk smooth, almost silent. Based on my experience, I don't think leaving this unattended was a good thing.