Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   How to make a 5.7 Hemi sound like an actual 5.7 Hemi (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/how-to-make-a-5-7-hemi-sound-like-an-actual-5-7-hemi-63658.html)

bumpinjeep 08-03-2013 04:31 PM

How to make a 5.7 Hemi sound like an actual 5.7 Hemi

I went to my local muffler shop to see what we can do to make my 2014 Hemi sound not like a sewing machine. After some experiments with other 5.7 Hemi cars, we decided to wake it up by removing the huge muffler in the center of the car and throw in an X-pipe. The Jeep now sounds much better. I kept the resonators in the back to see what it would sound like with just the X-pipe for now. Best way to describe it would be that it sounds similar to stock but turned up to 6 out of 10. It sounds much deeper at idle and when you punch it the thing really wakes up. Not a bad mod for $200.

bill_de 08-03-2013 04:34 PM

Re: How to make a 5.7 Hemi sound like an actual 5.7 Hemi

I'm so happy with the sound insulation in my Jeep ... 'cause I don't even hear the engine. :)

To each their own.

---

bumpinjeep 08-03-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 869327)
I'm so happy with the sound insulation in my Jeep ... 'cause I don't even hear the engine. :)

To each their own.

---

It's not just the sound insulation, we have double pane windows too. Take a look at them next time you're in the vehicle. I didn't notice it until I had the windows tinted.

BobsWK2 08-03-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 869327)

To each their own.

---

+1. I like quiet.

moosehead 08-04-2013 07:10 AM

Nice work Bumpin. Any drone in MDS and any idea if the suitcase muffler delete will impact emission testing?

I would guess the resonators are perhaps enough to deal with drone and the cats still handle the bulk of
emissions?

2012 Summit 08-04-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumpinjeep (Post 869335)
It's not just the sound insulation, we have double pane windows too. Take a look at them next time you're in the vehicle. I didn't notice it until I had the windows tinted.

It's only the front windows on the 2012's, not sure about the 14's though.

bumpinjeep 08-04-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 869537)
Nice work Bumpin. Any drone in MDS and any idea if the suitcase muffler delete will impact emission testing?

I would guess the resonators are perhaps enough to deal with drone and the cats still handle the bulk of
emissions?

No drone at all. I don't have any CELs so I think the emissions are safe. THe resonators seem to be doing their job though I feel I may get bored one day and replace them with Borlas or something along those lines.

BobsWK2 08-04-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012 Summit (Post 869559)
It's only the front windows on the 2012's, not sure about the 14's though.

All WK2's since the 2011 model year have laminated front door windows. Same as the windshield.

dco397 08-07-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumpinjeep (Post 869325)
I went to my local muffler shop to see what we can do to make my 2014 Hemi sound not like a sewing machine. After some experiments with other 5.7 Hemi cars, we decided to wake it up by removing the huge muffler in the center of the car and throw in an X-pipe. The Jeep now sounds much better. I kept the resonators in the back to see what it would sound like with just the X-pipe for now. Best way to describe it would be that it sounds similar to stock but turned up to 6 out of 10. It sounds much deeper at idle and when you punch it the thing really wakes up. Not a bad mod for $200.

Wow, this has me thinking. I would like some sound but I'm worried about drone. Is there any raspy sound on acceleration? That is hard to hear from inside the vehicle, you'd have to have someone else listen to you stomp on it and drive away. Thanks for the info. By the way, any chance to post a video with sound of you starting it up and taking off? Would love to hear what it sounds like.

bumpinjeep 08-07-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dco397 (Post 871238)
Wow, this has me thinking. I would like some sound but I'm worried about drone. Is there any raspy sound on acceleration? That is hard to hear from inside the vehicle, you'd have to have someone else listen to you stomp on it and drive away. Thanks for the info. By the way, any chance to post a video with sound of you starting it up and taking off? Would love to hear what it sounds like.

I'll see what I can do this weekend maybe. I'm installing the HID & LED kit too so I should hopefully have the time.

DirtyDuc83 08-07-2013 01:24 PM

I've been happy with my WK2 with a volant CAI. Only loud when I romp on it, otherwise nice and quiet when cruising. Maybe i'm getting old....

lstowell 08-07-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumpinjeep (Post 869707)
No drone at all. I don't have any CELs so I think the emissions are safe. THe resonators seem to be doing their job though I feel I may get bored one day and replace them with Borlas or something along those lines.

Some states will flunk you based on visual inspection, not actual emissions issue.

A complete cat back would probably make it even louder if you go Flowmaster or one of the other bwappa bwappa bwappa brands.