Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Ronin II wheel painting (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/ronin-ii-wheel-painting-6368.html)

matt08etc 02-08-2010 11:43 PM

Ronin II wheel painting

1 Attachment(s)
question for all wheel and paint gurus....ive got the ronin IIs on my '05 rocky mt edition wk....as we all know, to paint wheels you need to clean, in some cases strip (not in mine), sand, prime, then paint!

my question is, will there be sanding involved in my case with these wheels??
if so, should the sanding be so much as to have a smooth, flat surface?

i ask because i am not paint-savvy and the wheels come factory aluminum and i am not educated enough to know if paint will stick to the factory wheel or not...

BTW i plan on using simple paints from a local hardware store.

INPUT APPRECIATED THANKS GUYS :D

Scottina06 02-09-2010 07:06 PM

Re: Ronin II wheel painting

I would start by degreasing them/cleaning them very well. You will have to lightly sand them to give the new finish something to "bite" into. I would use a wheel paint or oem grade paint. Never touch the finish with your bare hands. the oils from your fingers will cause the paint not to stick. Try to paint in a dust free enviroment and besure to put a good 5-6 coats of clear. You can wetsand them after thye have dried a good 48-72 hours woth about 2000 grit paper to get a nice shine.

NHWK05 02-09-2010 08:29 PM

I painted my Rubicon wheels on my xj a while back.

First step, lightly scuff up the surface of the wheel with a red scotch brite pad. Scuff so not to scratch he wheel but you do not want any shiny surfaces. Then re do that with a green pad. Then wash. Then once dry begin to paint using the primmer and paints of your own choice. SEM makes good stuff. Paint in many light even coats, especially where there are grooves or designs in the wheels. Then clear.

matt08etc 02-09-2010 11:19 PM

thanks both of you! definitly a spring project, along with my custom mesh grill

S.O.T.I. 02-10-2010 01:24 AM

^^^What those guys said, but if I might add a paint brand suggestion? Most hobby shops will have a Japanese paint brand called Tamiya. It is the titanium of paints in my opinion. In the early 2000's I painted my Ronal wheels with their gun metal grey. I kept those rims on my golf through 3 horrible Michigan winters. My mechanic tossed them around his shop for 2 weeks. When I finally sold the car, the wheels looked like I painted them the day before. Not a scratch.

Usually they only stock the smaller cans, but sometimes you luck out and they'll have the standard full size. I think it's made for R/C cars/boats/planes, and hence has to be so tough.

AcidCold 02-10-2010 06:07 PM

I've always wanted those wheels, i have one as a spare since mine was stolen.

NHWK05 02-10-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcidCold (Post 148585)
I've always wanted those wheels, i have one as a spare since mine was stolen.

Me too. I like the Dark accented Ronin II wheels but i am setteling for the stock limited Ronin IIs. One day i want to do the accents in dark khaki or black on mine.

Scottina06 02-10-2010 09:32 PM

I recommend an automotive grade paint and clear from automotivetouchup.com

matt08etc 02-11-2010 01:08 AM

the wheels are nice, dont get me wrong, imo i think with a glossy black finish to them will just set my jeep off