Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Yet another tyre post..... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/yet-another-tyre-post-63731.html)

Chrali 08-05-2013 06:26 PM

Yet another tyre post.....

.. but its my first on tyres so be kind.

My XH tyres (245/65/70) hadn't been rotated by the previous owner; which probably explains why it has already had at least one set of new tyres.

Currently they're (mostly) Khumo Road Venture AT, no real compaints with them, but since my TPMS stalk crumbled I've got the spare on Goodyear All Weather, this is causing me TCS issues on bumpy roads, as the NSR is 50%, OSR is now 100%. The OSF was an advisory, not far off the tread wear indicators say 10% and the NSF probably 20%.

In short not good, especially I normally run at 40psi, and the front tyres were really feeling every bump and crashing into potholes, so dropped back to 35 psi for now.

I don't off road at all, and am defo a 'press on' driver, but i do like a tyre with a deep tread due to looks and bump absorbtion on heavily rutted, potholed roads; and IMHO I don't think an XH suits a 'street' look, so I will replace them with more AT tyres, which I've narrowed down to Cooper Discoverer At3, or Maxxis AT-771, both being pretty goods tyres for the cost approx 105 excluding fitting.

My question is I'm not really fussed about having the widest tyres in the world, but reading that a 245/70/17 would lift the XH by 1/2 inch seems a good idea as it does look slightly under tyred, but I wonder if anyone can let me know how that affects the drive. i.e. would give a more relaxed cruise?

Also every post that asks 'biggest tyre on stock rims' soon expands to grinding bolts, lifts, spacers, pintlers(whatever they are), so assuming a relatively agressive tread such as those on the Cooper and Maxxis, can I expect 245/70/17 will fit COMPLETELY stock, as I'll be buying them online, so no trial fit.

Appreciate any info guys.

bobharly 08-06-2013 11:43 PM

Re: Yet another tyre post.....

I tried to translate this post on google, but it insisted this is English. So I presume you are on the otherside of the pond...

Anyways the size you are listing is plus one (Stock is 245/65/17, right?). In theory it should be ok. You are not going wider, and you lift would be technically 1/4".

And Pintler is a popular style of offroad aftermarket wheel.

Maybe someone who understands all your acronyms and is familiar with those tires can help more.

jjt250 08-07-2013 12:47 AM

245/70r17 is an inch bigger in diameter over stock. I run that size on my WK and have no problems, absolutely no rubbing. Neither should you. It looks great and is perfect if you don't want to lift and just fill out the wheel well a little more!

NoRice 08-10-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobharly (Post 871101)
I tried to translate this post on google, but it insisted this is English. So I presume you are on the otherside of the pond...

Anyways the size you are listing is plus one (Stock is 245/65/17, right?). In theory it should be ok. You are not going wider, and you lift would be technically 1/4".

And Pintler is a popular style of offroad aftermarket wheel.

Maybe someone who understands all your acronyms and is familiar with those tires can help more.

Hahaha made my night. TIRES lol

Chrali 04-23-2014 04:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobharly (Post 871101)

Sigh everyone's a comedian :) Yeah I'm in the UK. Didn't think I went mad with acronyms, but here ya go.

XH - Export Commander
TPMS - Tyre Pressue Montitoring System
TCS - Traction Control System
NSR - Nearside rear tyre
OSR - Offside rear tyre
OSF - Offside front tyre
NSF - Nearside front tyre
defo - short for Definitely

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoRice (Post 873173)
Hahaha made my night. TIRES lol

Tire and tyre both mean a covering for a wheel, usually made of rubber. Tire is the preferred spelling in the U.S. and Canada. Tyre is preferred in most varieties of English outside North America. Tire vs. tyre - Grammarist

Anyway I digress, I stayed with stock size as I couldn't be fussed with checking with my insurance company for a change of size.

I dumped the Maxxis as being too low budget, and the Cooper AT3 as they don't come in a high enough speed rating. Went for Falken Wildpeak AT01.

Feels more like a truck tyre over the Khumos and a bit noisier, but the have lots of tread and a quite aggressive pattern. Cost me 111 each fitted.