Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   Interior Cleaning? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/interior-cleaning-63746.html)

JeepFreak12 08-06-2013 05:13 AM

Interior Cleaning?

Hey guys, what do you prefer to use to clean and treat leather and suede (I have an SRT)? I use to use Meguiars leather cleaner on my 99 limited leather seats. Any preferences and suggestions would be great!

bill_de 08-06-2013 06:32 AM

Re: Interior Cleaning?

The leather has a plastic coating. Light cleaning should only require a damp cloth. Although some can't wrap their heads about the idea, Jeep says the leather does not need any leather treatment. Probably because it won't penetrate the plastic.

It's like using wood treatment on furniture that is finished in urethane. Unless it melts the urethane, it never reaches the wood.

I have no idea about the faux suede, but the owners manual may make some suggestions.

---

joenjulie 08-06-2013 09:38 AM

Exactly, most leather is "coated" and you can't "treat" it. If you scratch it with a fingernail and it doesn't change color, it's coated. If it does change color, it's uncoated and needs treatment...coats, purses, etc. Damp cloth or diluted interior cleaner if its a little tougher stain. For suede, I would use diluted cleaner as well. I use Griots Garage interior cleaner for anything a damp rag won't remove. If it's a grease/oily stain or whatever, i use diluted Simple Green. On the suede, once clean, check out Gtechniq I1 interior coating, works amazing at keeping water, dirt, etc off.

zeprider25 08-06-2013 09:41 AM

idk the leather in my wife's jeep is different then mine. i clean it with a damp rag then use meguirs leather cleaner and conditioner on both . can't say it does anything, but it surely cleans it.

JeepFreak12 08-06-2013 10:02 AM

Thanks everyone, my seats are not that dirty so I will just use a damp cloth. Can I use a damp cloth on the suede?

ItsPat 08-06-2013 05:44 PM

I have 2014 Summit with black leather. The passenger seat has some whiteish color on the black leather. I've tried to wipe it off with a damp cloth but doesn't seem to budge. Anyone have any ideas on if I could use anything to remove it?

GBJeep 08-07-2013 08:39 AM

I have owned my Jeep for almost two years & all I have done is wipe the seats with a warm damp cloth. I do clean the vehicle regularly....ok every weekend and the leather has held up nicely.

Roadmaster45 08-07-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsPat (Post 870897)
I have 2014 Summit with black leather. The passenger seat has some whiteish color on the black leather. I've tried to wipe it off with a damp cloth but doesn't seem to budge. Anyone have any ideas on if I could use anything to remove it?

Hello I have a 14 overland, have you everheard of Leatherique very good stuff I have used it on my other cars and it is great will be using it on the overland soon. Look into it

BuckeyeSRT 08-07-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepFreak12 (Post 870474)
Hey guys, what do you prefer to use to clean and treat leather and suede (I have an SRT)? I use to use Meguiars leather cleaner on my 99 limited leather seats. Any preferences and suggestions would be great!

I hate listing to this guy but Chemical Guys has good stuff.

joenjulie 08-08-2013 08:57 AM

I'm going to try Leatherique and Gtechniq L1 when my current stock runs out. I don't use much since I too pretty much every weekend am wiping it down inside and looking for any little spot the wife conveniently forgot to mention, like spilled Starbucks in the cup holder and in between the seat and center stack managing to get it on the seat, carpet, around the terrain select knob, so I tend to take a peek every couple days...gotta love women. I even have some clean rags, Griots interior wipes, and a towel in the jeep in the event of a spill, she might take care of it herself, not likely though.

JeepFreak12 08-08-2013 09:11 AM

I just orders Chemical Guys leather cleaner and treatment. I have bought many things from them before and know there stuff is good so I will give it a try.