Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Trade Satin 20" Wheels for Trailhawk 18" (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/trade-satin-20-wheels-for-trailhawk-18-a-63781.html)

glenos 08-06-2013 08:13 PM

Trade Satin 20" Wheels for Trailhawk 18"

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. This is actually my first post on here. I'm looking forward to some good discussions and hopefully contributing once I become more knowledgeable.

Anyway, so in April I bought a Stone White '13 Overland w/Hemi. By no means am I a serious off-roader or anything, but I do get off pavement into some pretty bad stuff in the fall/winter during hunting season. I loved the look of the 20" satin wheels initially, but am realizing they (along with the stock Forteras) are going to be awful. I have <4000m on the vehicle, was maybe going to see if the dealership would want to swap my 20's for the 18" trailhawk wheels and tires.

So long story short, has anyone done this or have thoughts, would that be something they'd consider? I assume the 20's are more expensive so am hoping they might jump all over it.

Thanks!
Greg

HemiFan 08-06-2013 08:22 PM

Re: Trade Satin 20" Wheels for Trailhawk 18"

I doubt they would do it because the trailhawk wheels are apart of the special package.

CIEGOS 08-06-2013 09:15 PM

I got a set of 18 stock WK2 wheels to go along with my 20's. On the 18 's I put Goodyear silent armors. The idea was to have a summer and winter set. With that said the forteras are a superior road tire and the jeep feels a lot less sporty with the 18's on. When i first got my wk2 i was able to drive it across a wet plowed field with the forteras. So they may perform better than expected. It is a give and take as most things are.
There is a classified section on the forum that is helpful and it is how I got my 18" wheels. Maybe someone would trade.
My last thought is if you need 18's with a more aggressive tire skid plates might not be a bad idea.

glenos 08-07-2013 07:30 AM

Thank you both. Ciegos - Thanks for the ideas. I was thinking a second set but figured as long as it doesn't erode mileage by 2-3 mpg then I don't really care if they stay on. I actually like the look of the Trailhawk wheels with stone white. And when it's time to replace I have much more selection.

But you might have something, if I can't get the Trailhawk wheels then I will just get stock 18's for late fall winter and put tires of my choice on them (I had Pirelli Scorpion ATR's on my old '05 WK and loved them, both on and off road).

Also, I will most likely be putting on skids. Not that I think I need them that much, but just for peace of mind.

Thanks again!

kkreit01 08-07-2013 10:49 AM

You'll have to pay a pretty penny for Trailhawk wheels. Most with them, will keep them. You can possibly find a regular 18" set on CL. I'd rather have the Forteras than Latitudes. At least the Forteras look decent.