Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   SPORT MODE....when is it used ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/sport-mode-when-is-it-used-63786.html)

Paul Bernard 08-06-2013 09:32 PM

SPORT MODE....when is it used ?

Can anyone tell me when the SPORT mode is used in my 2013 JGC Ltd. 3.6 4x4, does NOT have the quadra lift suspension. I see when I set it on SPORT the ESC goes off and the engine jumps up a few hundred rpm's. That seems to be the only thing I've noticed. Any explanation would be appreciated. Thanks Guys.

2014 LAREDO 08-06-2013 10:30 PM

Re: SPORT MODE....when is it used ?

The Sport mode keeps the transmission in gear longer and provides better throttle response. The Grand Cherokee in its Normal mode is tuned more for a comfortable ride than for athletic moves. But Sport mode is now available across the lineup, engaged with a pull on the transmission handle. In Grand Cherokees equipped with the air suspension, Sport mode wakes up the truck and transforms it significantly, changing shift patterns, suspension settings and ride height to minimize body roll and create a more surefooted performance in fast twisties. In models without the air suspension, only the transmission behavior and throttle response change.

So it should be used when you want to partake in some more spirited driving.

Baalic 08-06-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2014 LAREDO (Post 871079)
The Sport mode keeps the transmission in gear longer and provides better throttle response. The Grand Cherokee in its Normal mode is tuned more for a comfortable ride than for athletic moves. But Sport mode is now available across the lineup, engaged with a pull on the transmission handle. In Grand Cherokees equipped with the air suspension, Sport mode wakes up the truck and transforms it significantly, changing shift patterns, suspension settings and ride height to minimize body roll and create a more surefooted performance in fast twisties. In models without the air suspension, only the transmission behavior and throttle response change.

So it should be used when you want to partake in some more spirited driving.

It also changes the power distribution to reflect that of a more rwd rather then 4wd.

Does anyone ride around in "normal" mode, ie non eco non sport?? I think its overlooked that we have 3 modes actually not just eco sport.

Pushing the eco button to turn it off doesn't automatically trigger the sport mode!!

:mindblown:

HeadShrinkerMD 08-07-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baalic (Post 871083)
It also changes the power distribution to reflect that of a more rwd rather then 4wd.

Does anyone ride around in "normal" mode, ie non eco non sport?? I think its overlooked that we have 3 modes actually not just eco sport.

Pushing the eco button to turn it off doesn't automatically trigger the sport mode!!

:mindblown:

I always drive mine in "normal" mode. Sometimes I will use sport mode for merging or the like. I hardly drive in eco mode as the throttle response can be scary slow.

Aiyer 08-07-2013 11:11 AM

I use Sport mode in the twisties. It holds the gears longer since I hate it when it upshifts when in normal mode and I have to push the pedal harder so it will downshift to a lower gear. Other than this, I have no use for it.

CityCrawler 08-07-2013 12:22 PM

I use sport mode while city driving and dry condition highways to improve my driving experience, in my opinion it improves throttle response considerably but leaves holes in the handling which I assume is a result of the ESC being shut off. Not good for wet conditions.

HemiFan 08-07-2013 07:40 PM

I just used it for the first time the other day and was quite pleased.

The Evil Twin 08-08-2013 04:52 PM

I always use sport. Now it is a habit to change it just like putting on my seatbelt :)

Aiyer 08-08-2013 05:16 PM

I bet it is different experience in the V8. On the V6, I found no difference other than holding gears longer. Throttle response was the same...

On my Cayenne S, the sport button changes the car completely.

cheers,
-S

Paul Bernard 08-09-2013 08:05 AM

Thank You Gentlemen !! I have a better handle on it now.

Celestinemusic 08-09-2013 04:22 PM

I wish that once sport mode changes the suspension to aero, that it would stay in aero if I change back to ECO. This assumes that conditions are such that aero still makes sense. Currently, if I use sport mode to get a quicker start or traffic merge, it switches back to normal ride height no matter what. This is more wear and tear than is necessary.

Baalic 08-09-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celestinemusic (Post 872893)
I wish that once sport mode changes the suspension to aero, that it would stay in aero if I change back to ECO. This assumes that conditions are such that aero still makes sense. Currently, if I use sport mode to get a quicker start or traffic merge, it switches back to normal ride height no matter what. This is more wear and tear than is necessary.

Mine will stay in aero mode providing im doing 50mph or more or whatever....