Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Dreaded Tire Decision! Halp! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/dreaded-tire-decision-halp-63795.html)

xJoshxx 08-06-2013 10:57 PM

Dreaded Tire Decision! Halp!

1 Attachment(s)
Alright recently Picked up my Used 12 SRT.

Dealer replaced two of the front All Season run flats, But left the rears untouched. I'd say rears are still original has 26k miles on it when i picked it up.

Now the factory run flats basically $500/tire with mounting balance.

So It's either $1000 for 2 tires or $800-1000 for an entire new set of NON run flats.

Question I have is

Since there is not alot of options for us in the 295/45/20 series what about 295/40/20? Difference of about .5" in height. At this size I can get Continentals DWS's which are a 50k tire and i've owned them on multiple cars and and AMAZING in all weather. W rated also.

Or pick up a set of stock size Yokohama Parada Spec-X or Toyo 2's

other sizes would be nice that fit on stock 20's

Added obligatory photo of new SRT.:thumbsup:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y10...ps7dd36d45.jpg

mlarco52 08-07-2013 12:05 AM

Re: Dreaded Tire Decision! Halp!

I just put a set of 295/45/20 Toyo ST2's on today, went from the run flat 3 season pirellis. Night and day difference in ride quality.

JohnS 08-07-2013 09:54 AM

Although not an SUV, I had both Toyos (winter) and Yokohama Spec-X (summer) on my '06 Charger SRT8. At the time, other than the stock Goodyears, I could only buy SUV tires as replacements. The Toyos wore very well and the Yokohama ride quality was excellent - much better than the stock Goodyears. IMHO, both the Toyos & Yokohamas are excellent tires.

HAMMMERHEAD 08-07-2013 12:05 PM

I liked the Scorpions, but not the price of them. Since you have two new Scorps on the front, you might try and find a couple on Ebay. If not, the Paradas are the way to go for getting some additional wear. I wouldnt count on getting 50K out of any tire on the SRT though, unless you are the type than runs a tire until its slick.

ChrisWk 08-07-2013 03:22 PM

I got set of paradas on my jeep love them do not get snow in ga.They stick to the road very well.

xJoshxx 08-07-2013 09:52 PM

Well Yoko's are like 835/set installed
Toyo's were like 876/set installed.

I'm still leaning towards the 295/40/20 DWS's i had them others wore amazing and great in the wet and snow.

These are close to 1200/set. Just concerned about loosing .5" in sidewall.

Ill prob end up doing Yoko's tho still close to $400 cheaper!

Schleprock 08-08-2013 08:19 AM

So let me get this straight. You bought a $50k SUV that came with $1000 in new tires, and are worried about a $150-200 difference in cost (Yoko/Toyo versus OEM Pirelli) to have new, matching OEM rubber all around versus unmatched, potentially lesser quality.

xJoshxx 08-08-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schleprock (Post 871786)
So let me get this straight. You bought a $50k SUV that came with $1000 in new tires, and are worried about a $150-200 difference in cost (Yoko/Toyo versus OEM Pirelli) to have new, matching OEM rubber all around versus unmatched, potentially lesser quality.

Yes, when you put it that way from the reviews and research. Stock pirellis last roughly 25 to 30k? And the ride is rougher compared to non run flats. Yes I bought a 50k suv doesnt mean I need keep thousands of dollars in tires on it. I replace in sets of 4 for the cost of 2 pirellis you purchase a full set of yokos or toyos.

Oem rubber is fine but not worth the cost.

Jeff_Jeske 08-11-2013 10:48 AM

I've been in the performance game a long time and the ONE thing you do not want to skimp on is tires. They do all the work for you... from braking to cornering to stopping.

I believe its even more important to run the best tire you can on a truck like this because the entire computer is dialed in for the stock tires. You might not notice the difference on your commute to work but if you ever are forced to push the limit it could mean the difference between a wreck or a cleanly executed maneuver.

Spend the extra money on the OEM tires.

BigNorm4Life 08-11-2013 01:56 PM

Do I have to use SUV tires, For example.. Could I use the same tires as the Corvette ZR1 provided they are in the recommended OEM tire size

boss.man 08-11-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigNorm4Life (Post 874017)
Do I have to use SUV tires, For example.. Could I use the same tires as the Corvette ZR1 provided they are in the recommended OEM tire size

the ZR1 comes with Michelinís Pilot Sport PS2, Front 285/30/19 Rear 335/25/20, they make that tire in 295/35ZR20

Baalic 08-11-2013 06:36 PM

You could always try out Nitto, though I'm not sure if they make them in the sizes your looking for... The Nitto's on my Trans Am were a night and day difference over the Goodyear F1's...... *fyi, a majority of the Corvettes came with the Goodyear F1 Supercar tires"