Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Wondering if I should of just of gotten the 4x4 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/wondering-if-i-should-of-just-of-gotten-the-4x4-63796.html)

LaberoC 08-06-2013 11:43 PM

Wondering if I should of just of gotten the 4x4

Hey new member just got a 14 gjc, ive wanted a grand cherokee ever since my dad had a 98 back in the day, I ended up getting a 4x2 and I live in Washington state, I love the car and dont plan on going anywhere crazy, but I do plan on going to the mountains for snowboarding and wondering if im gona have problems since its rwd

jp467 08-07-2013 12:00 AM

Re: Wondering if I should of just of gotten the 4x4

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaberoC (Post 871102)
Hey new member just got a 14 gjc, ive wanted a grand cherokee ever since my dad had a 98 back in the day, I ended up getting a 4x2 and I live in Washington state, I love the car and dont plan on going anywhere crazy, but I do plan on going to the mountains for snowboarding and wondering if im gona have problems since its rwd

If 98 was back in the day you must be kind of young? My opinion is all jeeps should be 4WD, but you will probably be fine as long you don't drive in any snow or mud. You can always try and trade up to a 4WD.

LaberoC 08-07-2013 12:08 AM

Well I was about 8 or 9 in 98 so yeah....haha...yeah I just figured since I wasnt going to use it for off roading id be fine with a 4x2....I just got it about a month ago...I'm guessing I would have to take a big hit if I traded it and got a 4x4 would I be able to do that though?. Thanks for the input though I appreciate it

jp467 08-07-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaberoC (Post 871107)
Well I was about 8 or 9 in 98 so yeah....haha...yeah I just figured since I wasnt going to use it for off roading id be fine with a 4x2....I just got it about a month ago...I'm guessing I would have to take a big hit if I traded it and got a 4x4 would I be able to do that though?. Thanks for the input though I appreciate it

You would take somewhat of a hit on the trade. When I traded my 2012 GC for the 14 it was only a year old with 13K miles and I came out ok in the deal. The grand Cherokees have been holding their value pretty good. If you went back and talked to the dealer you bought from they might be able to work a deal to help you out.

LaberoC 08-07-2013 12:30 AM

Ok when I take it in for the flash for the tranny ill talk to them and see what they say..thanks for the advice man.

JeepGCOverland 08-07-2013 12:33 AM

I bet you could work out a deal with the dealer so that you wouldn't take too big of a hit. I would trade in for the 4x4 as soon as possible. Trust me, come winter, you will really regret getting the 4x2. 4x4's are far superior to 4x2's in snow. Remember, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Tony407 08-07-2013 02:06 AM

Where in WA are you?

Tony

LaberoC 08-07-2013 02:59 AM

Federal Way

Tony407 08-07-2013 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaberoC (Post 871136)
Federal Way

I'm not real familiar with Federal Way, but I'm assuming you've got a bunch of hills around you like the rest of the Seattle area? Does the entire city shut down if there's even one inch of snow on the ground? If yes, you're gonna miss the 4x4 on those rare days when you get snowed in. On the other hand, it only happens once or so a year...usually.

Tony

bill_de 08-07-2013 03:43 AM

The 4x4 would be nice. But rear wheel drive cars (and station wagons) have been getting people to the slopes long before you were born. And, as poor as you may think it is today, they didn't clear the roads as well 'back in the day'.

If you can swap without taking a big hit, why not? But don't break the bank to do it.

---

FD12ME 08-07-2013 02:51 PM

I had a 4x2 Explorer I bought when I lived in VA. It really never snowed but I drove 22k a year so it made sense with the new ford ecoboost explorer (only available in 4x2 in early MY13 models). But when I moved to MA, I kept getting stuck and sliding...that's a lot of weight for 2 wheels to pull through high snow. I had two dealerships offer me NOTHING for my trade, another that made me a really nice deal on a 4x4. Search around, you'll do okay in the end-but know how much you can spend vs. how many times you will actually be inconvenienced in the life of the car. If it's once a year at the ski slope, I'd say the hell with it. Being you live in Federal Way (I lived on Bainbridge for a year), you seem to either have no snow, or a ton...

HemiFan 08-07-2013 05:59 PM

If I lived anywhere but Florida I would have gotten a 4x4.