Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Technical Service Bulletins and Recalls (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f76/)
-   -   How much labor time to replace head gasket? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f76/how-much-labor-time-to-replace-head-gasket-63799.html)

AudreyHell 08-07-2013 07:36 AM

How much labor time to replace head gasket?

Hey,

I have a 2001 jeep cherokee with a straight 6 and a blown head gasket..

I have to admit I'm a lil poor.. :/
BUT, I have been doing some research and I found an automotive school where students work on cars for $25/hr + cost of parts (head gaskets are cheap though)

How much labor time does it usually take for the following;
-replace blown head gasket
-fluids clean-up
Also,
-if heads are warped, how much more labor time?

The school said its cheap, but it might take a little extra time since they're students.. I was think to add an extra 4 or 5 hours to my estimated average labor time..

Can anyone help?

(Also, I've been looking into enrolling in automotive myself anyways and if I do, this particular school will let my classmates and I fix my jeep for free.. Its an expensive school though, so I want to eliminate that option for now)

LQBlues 09-13-2016 10:19 AM

Re: How much labor time to replace head gasket?

In a shop it ran me nearly $1,200.00 to remove and send the heads out to a machine shop to be cleaned and leveled with no cracks. This was based on standard mechanic labor rates. It the heads were cracked I was told it could be around $2,400.00 depending on the availability and condition of the pistons, rods and other parts. If you have a second car I think the idea of letting a school do the work is the best. My son whom I have issues with teaches at one of California State Colleges in Auto mechanics. If our relationship was better I might have considered asking him for help when my 97 ZJ needed a head gasket repair. I used a local mechanic that warranties his work. His specialty is transmissions but his general mechanics are good and I've been loyal to him for six years now. He couldn't machine the heads in his shop and sent it out. Took about five days to get the heads back clean and flat and another day or two to put it all back together and test it.

I'm in the same boat financially, was on disability at the time and running a small in-home structural engineering office needed to get my wife who was just turning 65 to Mayo Clinic from Southern California to Rochester Minnesota where she was diagnosed with a neuromuscular disease. I had been diagnosed with Crohns Disease in 1984 which was my reason for having my shingle outside our home and in 2010 spent Thanksgiving until nearly Christmas in the hospital following surgery. Realized I couldn't keep up my practice that year and my wife was working as much as she could to pay for health insurance or we would have lost everything.

So if you can use another ride you would also be helping those students get a good education at the same time you'll save money on repairs.

Best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

Governor 09-13-2016 11:13 AM

Re: How much labor time to replace head gasket?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudreyHell (Post 871177)
Hey,

I have a 2001 jeep cherokee with a straight 6 and a blown head gasket..

I have to admit I'm a lil poor.. :/
BUT, I have been doing some research and I found an automotive school where students work on cars for $25/hr + cost of parts (head gaskets are cheap though)

How much labor time does it usually take for the following;
-replace blown head gasket
-fluids clean-up
Also,
-if heads are warped, how much more labor time?

The school said its cheap, but it might take a little extra time since they're students.. I was think to add an extra 4 or 5 hours to my estimated average labor time..

Can anyone help?

(Also, I've been looking into enrolling in automotive myself anyways and if I do, this particular school will let my classmates and I fix my jeep for free.. Its an expensive school though, so I want to eliminate that option for now)

Have you looked into a Pell Grant? It sounds like you could qualify. Talk to Admissions at the school. There are also other grants if I remember correctly.