Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Mileage discrepancy (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/mileage-discrepancy-63801.html)

msavard 08-07-2013 07:46 AM

Mileage discrepancy

Hello group

I found an strange this while playing around with the different screens from the gps (430N). It shows 13200km while the car odometer shows 12600, 4.6% more..... The other strange thing is the max speed of 192km/h?!?!?! I never exceeded 150 for sure.:confused:
Any thoughts on this? Is it possible that the dealer resetted the main odometer before selling it? I bought it at +/- 50km which seems normal since it was transferred from another dealer

Thanks for your input!

2012 Summit 08-07-2013 09:14 AM

Re: Mileage discrepancy

Quote:

Originally Posted by msavard (Post 871181)
Hello group

I found an strange this while playing around with the different screens from the gps (430N). It shows 13200km while the car odometer shows 12600, 4.6% more..... The other strange thing is the max speed of 192km/h?!?!?! I never exceeded 150 for sure.:confused:
Any thoughts on this? Is it possible that the dealer resetted the main odometer before selling it? I bought it at +/- 50km which seems normal since it was transferred from another dealer

Thanks for your input!

I would guess the GPS is incorrect. I've often seen a GPS indicate 1 MPH while stopped.

Roki303 08-07-2013 09:38 AM

GPS will not be as accurate as the car odo. GPS is radio based so reception, tree cover, bridges and other structures will impact it. Additionally will not react as fast to speed changes. Those small things will accumulate over time. 5% seems like is within error range for GPS.

I wouldn't worry about it. Continue driving it and you will see the gap widen as well.

turbospartan 08-07-2013 05:44 PM

Mine is off too. I figured it could have been partly when my tires were spinning but not going anywhere. The GPS can't recognize that your tires are spinning (such as on snow, or loose rocks when climbing, etc.) as your vehicle appears to be stationary (according to the GPS location).

adamchrtrnd 08-10-2013 12:01 PM

Just like other have said, I would imagine that your GPS is incorrect. I don't think a dealership would risk the legal ramifications for tampering with mileage on a vehicle.

Dan JGC 08-10-2013 12:06 PM

Either GPS is simply not as precise as the odometer or aliens occasionally beam up your Jeep and erase your memory afterwards.....four words of advice "get a dash cam" so you'll have it on tape! LOL

2012 Summit 08-10-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan JGC (Post 873394)
Either GPS is simply not as precise as the odometer or aliens occasionally beam up your Jeep and erase your memory afterwards.....four words of advice "get a dash cam" so you'll have it on tape! LOL

Most likely alien involvement.