Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Frequent remote start use? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/frequent-remote-start-use-63812.html)

pfp_az 08-07-2013 01:20 PM

Frequent remote start use?

Please forgive what may be a noob question. The 2014 JGC is my first new vehicle in more than a dozen years and I've never used one with remote start, or even push button start.

The remote start feature look like something I'd probably like to use 90% of the time so that it's nice and cool before I get in. I'm wondering if this would be a problem or if there is some reason it should not be used that much.

Thank you

Willx 08-07-2013 01:36 PM

Re: Frequent remote start use?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfp_az (Post 871336)
Please forgive what may be a noob question. The 2014 JGC is my first new vehicle in more than a dozen years and I've never used one with remote start, or even push button start.

The remote start feature look like something I'd probably like to use 90% of the time so that it's nice and cool before I get in. I'm wondering if this would be a problem or if there is some reason it should not be used that much.

Thank you

Welcome to JeepGarage,

The Remote Start functions the exact same way as the push button as far as wear and tear on the vehicle so no worries there. You may go through Fobs a little quicker and or batteries but even that is doubtful.

Jim_in_PA 08-07-2013 01:51 PM

The only downside to using remote start frequently is fuel consumption because presumably your vehicle will be idling more than if you waited to start it up until you're in the steamy hot (or freezing cold) interior... :)

pfp_az 08-07-2013 06:05 PM

Great, thank you. I'm also guessing that the new Jeep will not take nearly as long to get cool as the old truck so perhaps I won't "need" to do this as much as I may think. Good to know that it's not an issue though.

Tony407 08-07-2013 06:11 PM

You can also use the Uconnect app for your smart phone and start your vehicle that way too. It extends the range basically anywhere there's cell service. It's not immediate like using the fob though, a couple of minutes of delay.

Tony

acilate 08-07-2013 09:01 PM

I would not let the GC idle for to long for the first few thousand miles. Low oil pressure while idling could result in a poor break in period. Engines are much more resilient than they used to be, but better safe than sorry.

NYCDrew 08-08-2013 03:12 PM

In my past vehicles I've gone so far as to not turn on the A/C until the engine warms up to not have the added work on a cold engine. The convenience of the remote start and getting into a cool car has so far been outweighing that with my Jeep. :)