Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Technical Service Bulletins and Recalls (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f76/)
-   -   Curious if i can part out an engine with a blown head gasket? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f76/curious-if-i-can-part-out-an-engine-with-a-blown-head-gasket-63871.html)

AudreyHell 08-08-2013 06:20 PM

Curious if i can part out an engine with a blown head gasket?

I have a blown head gasket but i need to save money towards a new engine..
Can i part out an engine with a blown head gasket?
Its a gm straight 6, 6cyl...

LQBlues 09-13-2016 09:55 AM

Re: Curious if i can part out an engine with a blown head gasket?

Just curious, why would touch need a new engine if I lyrics the cylinder block
K head gasket is blown? I hade a 4.0L in line 6-cylinger 97 ZJ 4x4 that had a blown head gasket. The Block easy not cracked, only the Cylinder head was warped and the heads were pulls and sent out to a shop tho have only the cylinder heads machined and flattened. The Crankshaft block was not replaced and the labor and parts ran around $1,200.00 US. Had the cylinder heads cracked the replacement would have cost closer to $2,000.00 US including parts. Replacing the entire engine would be much more expensive especially if I was able to find a refurbished engine the included pistons, rods, crankshaft, camshaft, rings, valves etc. Assuming the cylinder block is the only part damaged and cracked why consider replacing the entire engine?

I'm no expert here and it's been many years since playing around with the early pre-2000 combustion engine but I do have the Haynes manual that covers major repairs and rebuilds. The cylinder block sits on top of the Crankshaft block and below the valve cover and gasket on my '97 ZJ. The cylinder block covers the full stroke of the pistons and I would assume if you could pull a head cylinder off of a dismantled engine it would only need to be verified that it wasn't bored larger (although I still would think there would be enough tightness in the ring compression to avoid any coolant or oil from leaking around the ring compression. The top and bottom of this block needs to be flat so it needs to be verified with no warp. Checking for potential weakness in the metal prior to a crack forming would, I think require the use of a magnaflux tester to check for any subsurface cracks.

Please be honest, if I'm wrong then let me know but I don't think the entire engine needs to be removed and replaced unless you cracked the lower block as well. Then the choice is whether or not to replace the vehicle depending on year and Bluetooth value or the cost of a refurbished engine and all the labor involved in installation.

This has been my considerations after owning and taking good care (following the service recommendations) on my 19 year old Jeep. I prefer the simplicity of the pre-1998 combustion in line 6 cylinder engine. I've had my share of major work done and since 2010 probably put $5k into repairs including warped heads, new fuel pump after dropping the heavy Off-road skid plates and gas tank to get to the fuel pump. But I can't replace this "Cherry" 97 on Social Security and Medicare retirement plus dipping in our equity on a paid off home. No rust, never had an accident, original clean interior and non smoker and less than 154,000 original miles. I think it would less costly to keep it running. Besides the longer I own it the more attached I get to her. Am on my second four legged travel companion that grew up in this Jeep and I've been back and forth from Illinois to California including a lot of Off-road in between that I can't imagine the memories I'd lose if I traded her in.

Good luck on you decision.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

Governor 09-13-2016 10:41 AM

Re: Curious if i can part out an engine with a blown head gasket?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudreyHell (Post 872176)
I have a blown head gasket but i need to save money towards a new engine..
Can i part out an engine with a blown head gasket?
Its a gm straight 6, 6cyl...

Insufficient data. gm as in Chevy? Was it run hot after the blown head? How hot? Depends on condition of the parts and how they spec out in regards to machine work, etc. needed to restore or repair parts like block, rods, crank, etc. compared to cost. Is the head damaged or just the gasket? How many miles? Which engine? What year? Part out for what? Which new engine are you looking to buy? Rebuilt or brand new? Can you be a little more specific?