Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   2014 Limited - Lemon Law? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2014-limited-lemon-law-63872.html)

Woogie 08-08-2013 06:22 PM

2014 Limited - Lemon Law?

Greetings,

I just wanted to let everyone know about my experiences with my 2014 Limited thus far, and get everyones take on what options I might have here on out.

I purchased my Grand Cherokee in May, I currently have 3,700 miles on the clock. Here have been my issues so far:

-Failed dash illumination lights, cluster replaced
-A/C overfilled from factory, drained and refilled
-Uconnect replaced
-Uconnect replaced, 2nd time... now on my 3rd unit overall.

*not to mention the trans shifting issues that were just addressed with the recent TSB and the power hatch not operating with the 2 clicks which I haven't even brought up to the dealer yet.

I have been in touch with corporate as well as Uconnect engineers. The dealer is useless and keeps replacing the Uconnect per Chryslers direction.

Needless to say I'm extremely disappointed with my Jeep experience and have no faith that my Uconnect will last more than a few weeks before it goes bad on me again. In my state, the Lemon Law states 3 repairs of the same significant component have to be made before filing for Lemon status. To me, I feel like the Uconnect is significant since it contains many critical features. To that end, does anyone have any input on my options and future plan of action for when my Uconnect likely bites the dust for the 3rd time?

lml52169 08-08-2013 06:32 PM

Wow. I dont know the laws but i just wanted to subscribe to this thread. I have 3000 miles on my 2014 GC ltd and the radio was just replaced 1 week ago. I had numerous issues with it. My husband is furious about the way the car shifts. My dealer says he doesnt have the new flash yet for shifting issue. I sure wish i saw this and other posts before i bought this car and hope we dont have lemons. Good luck

2012 Summit 08-08-2013 06:32 PM

Re: 2014 Limited - Lemon Law?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woogie (Post 872178)
Greetings,

I just wanted to let everyone know about my experiences with my 2014 Limited thus far, and get everyones take on what options I might have here on out.

I purchased my Grand Cherokee in May, I currently have 3,700 miles on the clock. Here have been my issues so far:

-Uconnect replaced

*not to mention the trans shifting issues that were just addressed with the recent TSB and the power hatch not operating with the 2 clicks which I haven't even brought up to the dealer yet.

I have been in touch with corporate as well as Uconnect engineers. The dealer is useless and keeps replacing the Uconnect per Chryslers direction.

Needless to say I'm extremely disappointed with my Jeep experience and have no faith that my Uconnect will last more than a few weeks before it goes bad on me again. In my state, the Lemon Law states 3 repairs of the same significant component have to be made before filing for Lemon status. To me, I feel like the Uconnect is significant since it contains many critical features. To that end, does anyone have any input on my options and future plan of action for when my Uconnect likely bites the dust for the 3rd time?

I'm not familiar with the lemon law in VA, but I doubt the problems you are experiencing with the Uconnect system will qualify. Typically the problem would have to involve safety or driveabilty issues.

If Chrysler can't fix the problem you could possible go after them for breech of warranty.

nonopr01 08-08-2013 06:33 PM

Dont think that because of a factory option the lemon law most apply.

nonopr01 08-08-2013 06:36 PM

Shifting fixed Check as per TSB this month.
Uconnect App in my radio deleted at assembly
Sirius XM in my radio deleted at assembly.
No tow package no problem with self leveling shocks as it does not have it.

StaticFX 08-09-2013 08:13 AM

yeah, the radio is not a significant part of the car, i know it controls a lot, but mostly comfort features. The lemon law applies to items like the transmission, engine, axles, etc.. stuff like that. I also think you need to have the same item serviced 3 times within a certain period.

It sucks to get a new vehicle and have so many issues. Maybe put a call in to Chrysler customer service and complain a bit... see if it gets you something for your troubles.

tryan77 08-10-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Greetings,

-Uconnect replaced

You dont qualify for lemon law protection, yet. 1) Make sure you get all your repairs before your warranty runs out. 2) Be ridiculously anal with documentation. Here is the deal with the lemon laws...(for most states)

Your vehicle must have been in service for over 30 days. These 30 days must be 30 days of you not able to use your vehicle.

There must be a repair for the same item at least 4 times. Minimum. (i guess its 3 in your state but make sure that is correct)

If you do not have very clear documentation of either of these you will not win. When you file against a car maker and your case is not very clear they will drag it out for a very long time with the hope that you will just cancel your lawsuit. This very situation happened to me so if your case is not crystal clear - DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME! If your case is crystal clear you wont even need a lawyer. Your state has all the proper documentation on line and you can file yourself. The state always favors the consumer but only when these laws have been violated.

TL;DR: Have your ducks in a row and read your local lemon law.
Source: I filed for lemon law on a Ford Explorer 2011 - it was a pile of garbage but I needed to get out of the vehicle so i canceled the suit.

bertball50 08-11-2013 01:22 AM

I'm on my second time in the shop for major electrical issues. Hopefully they can get it fixed because next time would be the lemon time. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but if it does I won't hesitate to get rid of it. I'll keep you guys posted

AudreyHell 08-11-2013 05:01 AM

Quote:

Greetings,

-Uconnect replaced

Im posting my comment without reading the rest of the comments, but do you live in MA?
Here, you have to had paid more than 5k for the vehicle to qualify.
Dealers only. Private sales dont count anymore (im screwed with my cherokee at the moment)
Also, I think you have to prove that the dealership was aware of the related problems you are having, so you might want to invest in getting the carfax? (I think thats what its called)...
Sounds like your 3 repairs would qualify as well, but it all depends on the state your car is registered in.
Im sure you already have, but if not, thoroughly read ALL paperwork you have regarding the vehicle, ESPECIALLY paperwork you signed.
If for some reason the lemon law isnt on your side (it should be), maybe you can find a loophole in the paperwork..
DO IT FAST!!! Theres always sketchy "limited amount of days" on stuff like that!

(You can also google and call a lemon law lawyer and ask what they think.. Call a mid-high priced lawyer, get as much of an opinion as you can out of them and bring that opinion down to a less expensive, but still reputable lawyer if need be)

AudreyHell 08-11-2013 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tryan77 (Post 873696)

You dont qualify for lemon law protection, yet. 1) Make sure you get all your repairs before your warranty runs out. 2) Be ridiculously anal with documentation. Here is the deal with the lemon laws...(for most states)

Your vehicle must have been in service for over 30 days. These 30 days must be 30 days of you not able to use your vehicle.

There must be a repair for the same item at least 4 times. Minimum. (i guess its 3 in your state but make sure that is correct)

If you do not have very clear documentation of either of these you will not win. When you file against a car maker and your case is not very clear they will drag it out for a very long time with the hope that you will just cancel your lawsuit. This very situation happened to me so if your case is not crystal clear - DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME! If your case is crystal clear you wont even need a lawyer. Your state has all the proper documentation on line and you can file yourself. The state always favors the consumer but only when these laws have been violated.

TL;DR: Have your ducks in a row and read your local lemon law.
Source: I filed for lemon law on a Ford Explorer 2011 - it was a pile of garbage but I needed to get out of the vehicle so i canceled the suit.

TOTALLY agreed on the documentation aspect.
Get your car an emissions inspection.. Just for "fun".. See if theres anything critically wrong with it..
Go to a mechanic and claim you have no idea, but funny things are happening.. Play ditz.. See what garage you can get a front to back inspection/quote from for free..
Waste all the time you want if youre serious about it, but please dont waste more money if you havent done thorough research..
If worse comes to worse, part it out...

AudreyHell 08-11-2013 05:16 AM

Ya know what.. Sorry.. Im not familiar with newer models.. If its your radio, youre not gonna qualify.. Like said above, safety and drivability does.. Not a radio...
It doesnt mean you cant still read the paperwork..
If that doesnt work, call JEEP corporate and freak out. They probably already know about it if its common..

But yeah.. When I said i was screwed.. I meant that i am not a mechanic. Im just a small chick with a decent brain and no money, who will be swapping out my straight 6, by myself with all kinds of pulley systems and rented tools in a restaurant parking lot..

I dont qualify because it was a private sale of which I only bought her for 1200..

Good luck!

bill_de 08-11-2013 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudreyHell (Post 873818)
Call a mid-high priced lawyer, get as much of an opinion as you can out of them and bring that opinion down to a less expensive, but still reputable lawyer if need be

That sounds like a reputable plan. :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

---