Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   power steering cooler for 2001 grand cherokee (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/power-steering-cooler-for-2001-grand-cherokee-6390.html)

itsme1123 02-09-2010 06:51 PM

power steering cooler for 2001 grand cherokee

Hi I seem to have a leak in my power steering cooler. I changed my power steering pump and my steering wheel is still real hard to turn. My dad said it looks like fluid is coming out of the cooler. I called all the dealerships but they said they have never seen a 2001 v8 grand cherokee with a power steering cooler. Everywhere I call just says they have universal power steering coolers. Please does anyone have advice on this issue. I've been barrowing a vehicle from my parents and I hate using other peoples vehicles.

Scottina06 02-09-2010 07:01 PM

Re: power steering cooler for 2001 grand cherokee

first I have ever heard of a PS cooler

Chaoul1 02-09-2010 07:10 PM

I think he means where you Fill it up with Fluid. I's called the reservoir

Denny boy 02-09-2010 10:04 PM

we need pictures, i have never heard of a power steering cooler. and what color is the liquid. and i would try running some power steering cleaner or conditioner through it. they sell it at most auto parts stores.

206WJ 02-09-2010 10:25 PM

The most common PS issue on the WJ is the high pressure hose leaking. But without a pic I dunno either.

vicpick58 02-10-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsme1123 (Post 147823)
Hi I seem to have a leak in my power steering cooler. I changed my power steering pump and my steering wheel is still real hard to turn. My dad said it looks like fluid is coming out of the cooler. I called all the dealerships but they said they have never seen a 2001 v8 grand cherokee with a power steering cooler. Everywhere I call just says they have universal power steering coolers. Please does anyone have advice on this issue. I've been barrowing a vehicle from my parents and I hate using other peoples vehicles.

I don't know about the 2001 but my 2000 did have a little cooling coil for the power steering. It was just behind the grill in front of the condenser at the very edge of the drivers side.

The 2000 did not have the hydraulic fan, it had an electric fan and an engine driven fan.

My 2004 with the hydraulic fan seems to have a power steering fluid cooler built into the drivers side of the condenser.

Go look at your p/s lines, you will see they go to the cooler as well as the fan and steering box.

If yours does have the little coil for a cooler, it may be damaged or if you have the cooler built in to the condenser, it may be leaking at the gasket.
Just look though the grill with a flashlight, you should be able to see where the leak is. If it is actually leaking at the cooler. But most p/s leaks are the high pressure hose.

206WJ 02-10-2010 01:43 PM

There may be a cooler... It's an option as part of the TOW package with a V8

pinguino50 02-21-2010 04:30 AM

There is a cooler, mine has it; if is a Ltd. will have it, if not has to come with the tow package.
Mi best advise is take the fascia out and check whats is going on, because is very rear what you say.
I'm inclined is the gear.