Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   2009 Hemi into 2005 chassis (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/2009-hemi-into-2005-chassis-63900.html)

Verminator 08-09-2013 10:43 AM

2009 Hemi into 2005 chassis

Hello all,

Some of you may know that my 05 Hemi dropped a valve seat and it tore up the motor inside. I'm now looking into options for dropping in a used motor. I understand the 2009 hemi's are much better than the 05-08 ones, but which years would be pretty much plug and play? Would I be able to drop an 09 into my 05 chassis and have it wired up pretty easily or would I have to change other things like the ECU? Tuning is not an issue and I can get that taken care of if need be.

Thanks!

Strongjeff 08-09-2013 01:48 PM

Re: 2009 Hemi into 2005 chassis

as far as dropping it in the chassis is the same from 05-10, now I believe the ecu is different (not sure, others may be able to help) I think from 05-07 they had a jtec ecu and from late 07-10 they have the ngc ecu, but like I said other with a hemi will be better able to help

jeepgcoman 08-09-2013 03:40 PM

I think Jeff is right. I believe that 09 was the first year of the Variable Valve Timing, which would for sure throw a wrench into the works. Don't know if, aside from the PCM/TCM being different, the wiring harness is different too?? Just to be safe, I think I'd stick with the 05-08 engine. You'll have to be careful to, because your 05 has the wasted spark (spark plug wires over the top of the engine) ignition system, and the 06 and later do not. The coil plugs in the wirinig harness for the 05's is different and the wires reversed, so you won't be able to run the later system unless you rewire and change to the later model coil plugs. You can use your old 05 valve covers and coils though and not have to deal with all that. As a side note, if you do get a later engine (with or without coils), and don't switch to the newer setup, I'd be interested in purchasing the 06-08 valve covers from you when you get that far. Keep us posted on your progress.

Hey Jeff, did you ever get your wheels back??

Strongjeff 08-09-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 872867)
I think Jeff is right. I believe that 09 was the first year of the Variable Valve Timing, which would for sure throw a wrench into the works. Don't know if, aside from the PCM/TCM being different, the wiring harness is different too?? Just to be safe, I think I'd stick with the 05-08 engine. You'll have to be careful to, because your 05 has the wasted spark (spark plug wires over the top of the engine) ignition system, and the 06 and later do not. The coil plugs in the wirinig harness for the 05's is different and the wires reversed, so you won't be able to run the later system unless you rewire and change to the later model coil plugs. You can use your old 05 valve covers and coils though and not have to deal with all that. As a side note, if you do get a later engine (with or without coils), and don't switch to the newer setup, I'd be interested in purchasing the 06-08 valve covers from you when you get that far. Keep us posted on your progress.

Hey Jeff, did you ever get your wheels back??

no I didn't get the wheels back unfortunately, but I did manage to get the jeep back on the road...thank you for askin