Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Mystery Squeak HELP (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/mystery-squeak-help-63927.html)

NEWJEEP14 08-09-2013 05:08 PM

Mystery Squeak HELP

So my Summit just hit 1400 miles and so far nothing major (fingers crossed) however, intermittently over some rough patches of road there is this mystery squeak. Try as I might I can not pinpoint it. It is definitely coming from the passenger side somewhere. Could be sunroof, seat, door, suspension. I have no idea. It is a faint noise but it is really starting to make me crazy because I know it can be fixed if I can find it. Has anyone else had some mystery squeaks or creaks in the 14? I did check the clips around the pano roof and all were secure.

mceb 08-09-2013 07:23 PM

I have a creak coming from rear passenger side. I'm pretty sure it's the pano roof. I hear it when the body flexes like turning into my driveway or any rough patch on road. Think i read there are a bunch of adjustment points they can do on pano roof. I'm gonna have dealer look at when I go in for oil change.

Can try to have someone drive jeep while you sit in back and search for squeak.

NEWJEEP14 08-09-2013 07:48 PM

Yep that sounds about exactly like what I am hearing. I need to find a new dealer. My current dealer would say something like "couldn't replicate" or "that's normal". I will ride in the back tomorrow and try to see if the pano is the source.

mceb 08-10-2013 06:04 AM

Yeah try another dealer. I'm gonna take the direct approach and just tell them straight up its the pano roof and I'm sure there are many adjustment points to fine tune it. Gives em less wiggle room to say they couldn't find it etc.

jeep5.7 08-10-2013 03:15 PM

Re: Mystery Squeak HELP

im getting a humming or vibration by the glove box,dealer said they adjusted it its back

BobsWK2 08-10-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep5.7 (Post 873483)
im getting a humming or vibration by the glove box,dealer said they adjusted it its back

I get the same vibration sound from what I think is the glove box area when I run over some bots dots or similar. My 2012 Overland did the same thing. Must be designed this way from the factory. That is where the extra money goes for a M-B, BMW, Audi. They look for and usually stop these kind of annoyances from day one.

weck 08-11-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mceb (Post 873036)
I have a creak coming from rear passenger side. I'm pretty sure it's the pano roof. I hear it when the body flexes like turning into my driveway or any rough patch on road. Think i read there are a bunch of adjustment points they can do on pano roof. I'm gonna have dealer look at when I go in for oil change.

Can try to have someone drive jeep while you sit in back and search for squeak.

Had something very similar. Found one loose headliner clip, loosened/retightened the passenger side grab handles... Didn't help. I think it was actually the sunroof accordion strip on the passenger side but never nailed it down... Started taking a different route to work over a really bad stretch of road and the squeak/rattle went away.

I think whatever was making contact just wore itself down over the potholes...

scottj63 08-12-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEWJEEP14 (Post 872936)
So my Summit just hit 1400 miles and so far nothing major (fingers crossed) however, intermittently over some rough patches of road there is this mystery squeak. Try as I might I can not pinpoint it. It is definitely coming from the passenger side somewhere. Could be sunroof, seat, door, suspension. I have no idea. It is a faint noise but it is really starting to make me crazy because I know it can be fixed if I can find it. Has anyone else had some mystery squeaks or creaks in the 14? I did check the clips around the pano roof and all were secure.

I had as similar squeak that was coming from the passenger seat rubbing against the center console ... spacing was off. There was no adjustment possible but the dealer treated the side of the seat with a lot of leather conditioner/softner. Problem solved.

NEWJEEP14 08-12-2013 10:05 PM

Almost positive it is the pano. Either that or there is a mouse in my jeep.

weck 08-12-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEWJEEP14 (Post 874853)
Almost positive it is the pano. Either that or there is a mouse in my jeep.

Nothing like looking for bumps while applying pressure to various parts of the roof.. That black piece across the middle... The headliner on the passenger side... The overhead console... The glass...

Been there done that.:o

NEWJEEP14 08-14-2013 07:39 PM

Ok here is the update. Drove around as a passenger in the thing. NOT the pano roof to my surprise. The "Chirp" as I now call it was sounding like it was from the front passenger side. So I pulled out the glove box and rode around some more.
It wasn't until pulling into the driveway that we realized it was a chirp over slow smooth bumps and it was coming from the front passenger side wheel well. Bushing maybe?

NEWJEEP14 08-14-2013 07:40 PM

It doesn't sound like it is coming from the air suspension components. Maybe some secondary suspension part.