Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Sold my 2014 SRT (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/sold-my-2014-srt-63938.html)

SRTgeek 08-09-2013 11:32 PM

Sold my 2014 SRT

Well - it's been fun! :lol:

I loved my SRT but I recently moved to British Columbia (land of mountains and streams) and truth is, so. many. hills. here.

I couldn't resist. I came from sports cars before owning my SRT and although I loved it - I never could hit the corners the same way I was used to. Not surprising, twice the weight, higher centre of gravity etc,

I have nothing bad to say about my five months owning my SRT. It was magical.

My wife and I traded it in on a 2013 Rubicon Unlimited and within 24 hours, I had the doors off, stored and tube doors in place. Been driving all over with my foot hanging out the door.

I never really got it before I guess but those of you with "jeep jeeps" get it I suspect. I didn't, now I do. It's a different lifestyle, much slower. In a perfect world I'd have kept the SRT and bought a Rubicon but I hate debt. I had my SRT paid down 100%, and in trading I was able to get a new Rubi plus a nice check back.

I plan to grab a 2015/2016 Challenger hellcat when they hit next year/year after. So I'll be back in SRT land.

Thanks to the friends I made here, you're all a great bunch of guys! Best of luck with your SRT's! :thumbsup:

NoRice 08-10-2013 12:00 AM

Re: Sold my 2014 SRT

Holy sh*t! I wish I had the money to pay off a 2014 SRT. I still owe a little less than 10 on my '05 WK. However I'm still in college but still it must be nice. Congrats on the new ride!

boss.man 08-10-2013 05:57 AM

I was a huge fan of the blog, shame we wont see any more SRT updates on it, congrats on the new car

salsfirst 08-10-2013 07:48 AM

Bummer, loved the blog. Your instructions for tapping into the mirror was awesome and I followed it step by step to get my radar detector set up. Thanks and good luck.

Scottina06 08-10-2013 08:05 AM

Congrats bro....I have a 13' jku rubi 10a. I couldn't give up my SRT for it though....LOL. You should go to a track experience....the Jeep outhandles the Chally

hankwedge 08-10-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 873278)
Congrats bro....I have a 13' jku rubi 10a. I couldn't give up my SRT for it though....LOL. You should go to a track experience....the Jeep outhandles the Chally

My fav at experience was 300. Lots of room and super quiet. Haven't seen one in pa yet.

Fght On 08-11-2013 07:20 PM

Just got home from my track experience. What a great day! Please don't say the jeep can't handle corners. I can assure you if you're saying that - you haven't seen or tried. The thing is a beast and totally amazing!!

Scottina06 08-11-2013 07:26 PM

Yep....I think it was john hammer or R Gilles that said the jeep is faster through the slaloms etc. than the chally

Red Suns 08-11-2013 11:51 PM

Sorry to see you move on so soon! Your posts have been informative and entertaining at the same time.

SRTgeek 08-12-2013 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fght On (Post 874152)
Just got home from my track experience. What a great day! Please don't say the jeep can't handle corners. I can assure you if you're saying that - you haven't seen or tried. The thing is a beast and totally amazing!!

Wide sweeping course corners? All day long the Jeep can handle that. Just like all the videos on racetracks, it is amazing. :thumbsup:

Tight twists though? No, not like a lighter sports car mainly because it's not a sports car and is not supposed to be a sports car. On an open road course, I'd wager it'd hold it's own but I've driven SRT through tight corners, hairpins, chicanes and I've also driven smaller, lighter cars. There is a colossal difference. Centrifugal force comes into play I believe.

That's all I was saying, I'm not insulting the SRT. I loved mine dearly. There are a lot of very tight corners and rolling hills with tight corners near where I live and a 5150 lb machine is damn challenging going through them compared to a 2000/2500 car that is half the height.

I didn't buy my SRT for the tight corners, I bought it for the fun. it was fun, and then some. I just found myself wishing it was lighter with a lower centre of gravity - like a sports car.

SRTgeek 08-12-2013 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 874156)
Yep....I think it was john hammer or R Gilles that said the jeep is faster through the slaloms etc. than the chally

A straight line with some twists shouldn't be the deciding factor for how a car sticks to the road though, should it?.

The lateral acceleration test (lateral g test) on the other hand, is a good indication of how it's going to stick going through corners. Weight is often plays here, but even at 5150 lbs - the SRT posts unheard for numbers for an SUV

Jeep SRT - .88 *
trucktrend's test - several tests done, this was their average #

Nissan GT-R - 1.03
Porsche 911 - 1.02

Motor Trend and others tested these cars, their stats are available all over being that they've been around longer.

Now, this said.. the SRT is cheaper and can haul groceries, five adults and a boat. I'm not dogging on the SRT. I named mine beast for a reason. :)

GenevaSRT8 08-12-2013 04:10 AM

Woaw, quite some changes indeed... I understand your choice in the pursuit of enjoying travel time as much as possible. Part of me still regrets my '94 YJ (despite the leaf springs front and back and the square headlights ;) ).
The new Chally should be loads of fun indeed, especially when they shoehorn the new Hellcat engine under the hood.
Enjoy the new ride, and thanks again for the numerous posts, pics, videos and blog entries!