Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Chrome mirror cover removal (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/chrome-mirror-cover-removal-6395.html)

NHWK05 02-09-2010 07:33 PM

Chrome mirror cover removal

My chrome mirror covers are looking like crap. They are bubbline and starting to peel. How do i remove them w/o breaking the mirror housing or the cover so i can sand the covers and potentially paint them?

They are attached with 3 strips of 3M tape and adhesion promoter was used.

robpp 02-09-2010 07:38 PM

Re: Chrome mirror cover removal

a little heat along with some wd-40 sprayed in there.......

bring it in the house to warm up. maybe the furnace room LOL

Scottina06 02-09-2010 07:39 PM

yep....heat them up

NHWK05 02-09-2010 08:15 PM

Ok cool. I have this friday off from work so i will take some heat to it and hopefully i can get the old tape and residue off my stock mirrors as well.

Then i need to decide if i really want to body match the mirrors or just leave them stock until i can get rare overland factory chrome/brushed mirrors.

Robert Palmer 02-09-2010 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHWK05 (Post 147908)
Ok cool. I have this friday off from work so i will take some heat to it and hopefully i can get the old tape and residue off my stock mirrors as well.

Then i need to decide if i really want to body match the mirrors or just leave them stock until i can get rare overland factory chrome/brushed mirrors.

Dude those mirrors are a fortune.

NHWK05 02-09-2010 08:22 PM

Are they really that much? Ive never seen them online any where so i have no idea how much they are. If they are that much i will just keep it stock or paint them to match.

Robert Palmer 02-09-2010 08:24 PM

Yeah they are a fortune because they are the power folding mirrors. A set of those mirrors will cost you half a grand at least if they are in mint condition.

NHWK05 02-09-2010 08:26 PM

Dayum. Mine are just power heated but not folding. Stock jeeps parts are so much money. The stupid chrome roof rails are $289 and the rear gate chrome handle is almost $300 for a chrome piece of plastic. WTF?

Megatron 02-09-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHWK05 (Post 147923)
Dayum. Mine are just power heated but not folding. Stock jeeps parts are so much money. The stupid chrome roof rails are $289 and the rear gate chrome handle is almost $300 for a chrome piece of plastic. WTF?

Yep. Damn so much chrome kyle, lol. But speaking of the rear chrome handle, DAVY27 found a set for around 80 if you're interested.

NHWK05 02-09-2010 09:16 PM

Yea but they are covers. I want the real thing. There are Stainless covers and plastic chrome covers but i am hating these stick on covers. too cheesy.

DAVY27 02-10-2010 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHWK05 (Post 147923)

hopefully the chrome side rails will go down. The 2010 Limited comes with it, so hopefully more will have it available on sale. yea $300 for just a chrome handle is ridiculous, i have the cover but i rather have the real thing.

elijah 12-01-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHWK05 (Post 147879)
My chrome mirror cover are looking like crap. They are bubbline and starting to peel. How do i remove them w/o breaking the mirror housing or the cover so i can sand the covers and potentially paint them?

They are attached with 3 strips of 3M tape and adhesion promoter was used.

Yeah, I have to agree that the chrom mirror covers are really dirty and it doesn't look really good on my friend's jeep. We had suggested him to remove it but we're all newbies on how to do it. Well, my friend is also frustrated about it and really wanted to get it out. Having read this post, it seems heating it up would be the solution. I think my friend would be glad to do this even if the mirror cost that much. Anyway, thanks for sharing the info.