Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/)
-   -   skipping mp3 discs (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/skipping-mp3-discs-63958.html)

naeem 08-10-2013 01:41 PM

skipping mp3 discs

Hi all,

I have a 2007 WK (5.7 overland) with an RAQ system (or the middle east equivalent).

Everything works great but every time I use an MP3 disc (I use Nero and use burn session at once, I have heard this is the most reliable way to burn an mp3 cd), it plays the first 10 or so songs OK and then pops, cracks and hisses through the rest of the disc. It plays audio discs (factory or home burnt) without any problem

The annoying thing is, sometimes it just works fine. I have read that it might be the laser.

Anyone have similar problems?

tomk 08-10-2013 05:07 PM

Re: skipping mp3 discs

the REC player in my '07 is rock-solid on the MP3 CDs I've burned. Sorry I don't know anything about the RAQ.

Now if the friggin NAV DVD drive was as rock solid.. :(

...tom

naeem 08-10-2013 05:35 PM

Hmmm. I have considered an upgrade, is the rec really worth the dough? It is quite a bit of money. Aside from the nav, anything else that sets it aside from others?

tomk 08-10-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naeem (Post 873551)
Hmmm. I have considered an upgrade, is the rec really worth the dough? It is quite a bit of money. Aside from the nav, anything else that sets it aside from others?

I wouldn't.

The NAV sucks (I made a custom cubby mount for my Garmin in the '07).
The six-disc changer is handy.
As far as I can tell the rest of the audio system is identical (I have the "Boston" system in my '07, so all that comes out of the head unit is low-level L/R audio)

...tom

brentwoodkris 08-15-2013 09:47 AM

The REC isn't worth the upgrade. It's entirely obsolete. As for your issue, you should enable the function on Nero to verify the disc AND make sure to disable multi-session burning, ensuring that the disc is finalized. I've also found the the player will only recognize files in the root directory plus one level. So if you try to burn nested levels of directories, it won't find the files. Once you follow those steps, you'll take out the variable of your CD burner.

As for the player, why not try one of those old fashioned "lens cleaner" discs where it has the brush for the laser lens. Can't hurt to try. If it is indeed the lens, you're probably SoL and should put in an aftermarket unit for replacement.

naeem 08-15-2013 10:53 AM

Thanks for the verify tip, i have done the burn at once thing, doesn't appeared to have made any difference the cd player is moody and skips when it wants to.

I had a poke around on eBay and found an raq will just do a straight swap. I'm totally off the idea of the rec after coming on here!