Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   14' Cherokee Trailhawk vs 14' Grand Cherokee for off roading (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/14-cherokee-trailhawk-vs-14-grand-cherokee-for-off-roading-64045.html)

Pinoiako916 08-12-2013 05:57 PM

14' Cherokee Trailhawk vs 14' Grand Cherokee for off roading
 
Which would be better for off road performance, the 14' Cherokee Trailhawk 4WD vs 14' Grand Cherokee 4WD Diesel (Limited or Overland)?

Thanks!

2mad2bad 08-12-2013 06:03 PM

They'll both be just as good as each other off road, although the diesel GC might have the upper hand, just cuz it's got loads of torque.

Jim_in_PA 08-12-2013 07:45 PM

Re: 14' Cherokee Trailhawk vs 14' Grand Cherokee for off roaring
 
The "Cherokee" and the "Grand Cherokee" are totally different platforms. The latter can be an off-road powerhouse. I'm not sure how well the former will perform in that respect...

loveracing1988 08-12-2013 10:50 PM

Depends how much you want to spend, especially with the Quadra Lift the Grand Cherokee will have much higher grand clearance. If you have Quadra Lift you will have the ELSD rear axle which can 100 percent lock if it needs to, which would be the one perk of the Cherokee with the rear locker. The other perk would be the power, even with the 3.6 you will have more power which you will be needed for the brake lock axle in the front, you want to have enough power to overcome the brake pressure used to "lock" the front axle. If you end up with the diesel you would definitely have no issues with this, and the fuel mileage should be about the same, if not a hair better with the diesel. But the thing you have to ask yourself is if you want to spend a lot more money on the grand cherokee, because by the time you add the diesel and off rapid adventure 2 to a limited your looking at 45k plus, vs lower to mid 30's for a cherokee trailhawk.

bumpinjeep 08-13-2013 05:01 PM

Re: 14' Cherokee Trailhawk vs 14' Grand Cherokee for off roading
 
What type of "off-roading" will you be doing? From what i've seen of the "Cherokee Trailhawk," I think its more of a marketing term to overcharge for a car based crossover. It's about as capable as a Forester. I would hope that the Grand Cherokee with its much greater ground clearance and diesel motor would be a better choice. Then again, you're going to be taking a $50,000 vehicle off road. If you are even remotely serious about going through trails, I would purchase a ZJ or a WJ or even a older Wrangler and be set.

loveracing1988 08-13-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumpinjeep (Post 875248)
What type of "off-roading" will you be doing? From what i've seen of the "Cherokee Trailhawk," I think its more of a marketing term to overcharge for a car based crossover. It's about as capable as a Forester. I would hope that the Grand Cherokee with its much greater ground clearance and diesel motor would be a better choice. Then again, you're going to be taking a $50,000 vehicle off road. If you are even remotely serious about going through trails, I would purchase a ZJ or a WJ or even a older Wrangler and be set.

The difference is the trailhawk cherokee is lifted from the factory. Also you can lock the front and rear axles together, along with the two rear tires can be locked together. On the subaru that isn't ever going to happen.

bumpinjeep 08-14-2013 01:56 PM

Re: 14' Cherokee Trailhawk vs 14' Grand Cherokee for off roading
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by loveracing1988 (Post 875265)
The difference is the trailhawk cherokee is lifted from the factory. Also you can lock the front and rear axles together, along with the two rear tires can be locked together. On the subaru that isn't ever going to happen.

Lifted from the factory? Hell, they both have 8.7 inches of ground clearance. Come on dude, you can't fall for a marketing ploy. Its a taller version of a Dart, its def not the same Cherokee as it was before. And OP, I wouldn't do any real off roading with either vehicles. Taking it to the pass for snowboarding, sure. Going to the beach on the sand, why not. Going through an actual trail, of course not.

bill_de 08-14-2013 02:05 PM

Re: 14' Cherokee Trailhawk vs 14' Grand Cherokee for off roading
 
If the ground clearance is the same, the one with the shorter wheel base will have an advantage in some off road situations.


---

Aiyer 08-14-2013 03:27 PM

Re: 14' Cherokee Trailhawk vs 14' Grand Cherokee for off roading
 
I read today on Autoweek that their Cherokee ran the Hell's Revenge trail. Not sure if they did the Hell's Gate and Lions Back... no pictures.

Looks like Jeep is marketing the new Cherokee is worthy of its name. We can only wait and see...

Relbus 08-14-2013 03:37 PM

Re: 14' Cherokee Trailhawk vs 14' Grand Cherokee for off roading
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bumpinjeep (Post 875840)
Lifted from the factory? Hell, they both have 8.7 inches of ground clearance. Come on dude, you can't fall for a marketing ploy. Its a taller version of a Dart, its def not the same Cherokee as it was before. And OP, I wouldn't do any real off roading with either vehicles. Taking it to the pass for snowboarding, sure. Going to the beach on the sand, why not. Going through an actual trail, of course not.

There are PLENTY of actual trails that the cherokee trail hawk could run without issue. Heck, I'd take it on almost every trail in the San Juan's w/o thinking twice, and without a scratch.

No it has no place on the same trails I wheel my built TJ, but it is more than capable of getting you off the beaten path and onto some mild trails.

That being said, I imagine the wk2 will be superior offroad.

Relbus 08-14-2013 03:37 PM

Re: 14' Cherokee Trailhawk vs 14' Grand Cherokee for off roading
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiyer (Post 875921)
I read today on Autoweek that their Cherokee ran the Hell's Revenge trail. Not sure if they did the Hell's Gate and Lions Back... no pictures.

Looks like Jeep is marketing the new Cherokee is worthy of its name. We can only wait and see...

Lions back has been closed for some time:mad:

Relbus 08-14-2013 03:48 PM

Re: 14' Cherokee Trailhawk vs 14' Grand Cherokee for off roading
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bumpinjeep (Post 875840)
Lifted from the factory? Hell, they both have 8.7 inches of ground clearance.

Incorrect.......


Ground Clearance - at curb weight - Running Ground Clearance Sport =7.9" Latitude = 8.2" Trailhawk = 8.8" Limited = 8.2"

http://www.jeep.com/model-compare/de...08&variation=1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community