Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   5.7L Muffler Delete (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/5-7l-muffler-delete-64059.html)

KSomes 08-13-2013 02:16 AM

5.7L Muffler Delete

Hello everyone,

I have been doing quite a bit of work to my WK lately and the one thing that keeps coming to my mind is the exhaust. I have a buddy who owns a shop and says he can do a true dual exhaust for me one day. Until proper funding for this can happen, I was wondering if simply removing the stock muffler and keeping the stock resonator on would create a better sound for the time being. I am skeptical in doing this, but it seems like a simple fix to a better temporary sound. Chances are that I will be doing this mod tomorrow around noon time, that is unless someone on this forum explains to me why this is potentially a terrible idea... We'll see! :thumbsup:

KSomes 08-13-2013 01:08 PM

So I did it, cut off the muffler. The sound difference is very slight, just more of a deeper growl. I have videos of it, but the noise difference isn't enough to be heard. If anyone is interested I can post them, just wasn't feeling it. The stock resonator is just too restricting.

dmsfun 08-14-2013 10:25 AM

Re: 5.7L Muffler Delete

On the 5.7, it is not the muffler or resonator, but the log style exhaust manifolds that are the major restriction, and why little to no gains are seen with costly aftermarket catbacks.

brentwoodkris 08-14-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 875673)
On the 5.7, it is not the muffler or resonator, but the log style exhaust manifolds that are the major restriction, and why little to no gains are seen with costly aftermarket catbacks.

Agreed. Swapping out the exhaust components past the headers will make a minimal difference performance-wise due to the huge amount of restriction that the 5.7L headers have. There have been some who have swapped to the 6.1L headers, but that requires a lot of other modifications as well and is costly.

Since you did the aforementioned exhaust "upgrades," hopefully you were just looking for a sound improvement and not much of a performance gain.

KSomes 08-14-2013 01:15 PM

Alright I gotcha. I was just looking for sound improvement, but after hearing what's really causing the muffling, I understand what has to be done...

Strongjeff 08-14-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSomes (Post 875824)
Alright I gotcha. I was just looking for sound improvement, but after hearing what's really causing the muffling, I understand what has to be done...

swapping out the logs to tube headers will be a dramatic difference, ive picked up 3 tenths of a sec in the 1/8 swapping to jba short tube headers. and this is on my 3.7. the hemi could pick up potentially .5 of a sec or more with long tubes, but to maximize the mods you would need a tune to take advantage of the headers. it is not necessary but will help it more

KSomes 08-14-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongjeff (Post 876215)
swapping out the logs to tube headers will be a dramatic difference, ive picked up 3 tenths of a sec in the 1/8 swapping to jba short tube headers. and this is on my 3.7. the hemi could pick up potentially .5 of a sec or more with long tubes, but to maximize the mods you would need a tune to take advantage of the headers. it is not necessary but will help it more

I would love to pick up long tubes, it's just the expense that's killer. And about the tuner, I am literally just about to pick one up when I get paid next. :thumbup:

johngreen1234 08-15-2013 09:34 AM

Pardon the hijack, but is the OP saying that deleting the gigantic stock muffler and just running on the tiny resonator makes very little difference in sound? How bout at highwa speeds? Is there a drone?

I'm pinching myself here because that muffler's as big as a coffin--I'd like to delete it just on principle, stuff the resonator in the muffler's place and run a slash pipe out from the reso under the rear passenger door, in front of the wheel. Is it possible this would still be acceptably muffled (and drone-free)?

Strongjeff 08-15-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johngreen1234 (Post 876444)
Pardon the hijack, but is the OP saying that deleting the gigantic stock muffler and just running on the tiny resonator makes very little difference in sound? How bout at highwa speeds? Is there a drone?

I'm pinching myself here because that muffler's as big as a coffin--I'd like to delete it just on principle, stuff the resonator in the muffler's place and run a slash pipe out from the reso under the rear passenger door, in front of the wheel. Is it possible this would still be acceptably muffled (and drone-free)?

it would muffle the sound but it will drone

jeepgcoman 08-16-2013 07:36 PM

I would think, with the 5.7, it'll only drone when in the MDS mode. That's where we've all had problems with "other than stock" exhaust systems. With my custom tubular headers, it took me 3 tries to get it to pass the "wife" test. I've ended up with a glass pack, a Magnaflow muffler, and a resonator.....all straight through 3 in. If you're on a budget and still wanting a little better setup, this may be the option you're looking for:
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/a-bette...-wk-19490.html
It should be better than stock, but not as good as tubular or SRT headers. IMO, should be worth ~5-15 hp.