Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   aftermarket headunit install in WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/aftermarket-headunit-install-in-wj-6406.html)

mrjaydeeone 02-09-2010 10:42 PM

aftermarket headunit install in WJ

I installed a pioneer primere 840 headunit in my WJ last week. I had a few problems along the way with the harness but got it installed. The harness I got is the METRA 70-6503 as my headunit has rcas in the back for front, rear, and subs. The issue is the volume on FM is a lot lower then it should be. XM and CD are fine as they have another volume. I have had the headunit in 2 other cars. 1 was with aftermarket speakers, and then an interior amp and the other car was just aftermarket speakers. And the radio sounded much better. I was told by a friend of mine that did installs for best buy and he told me that he has always used the metra 70-6502 harness and never had any issues. So I am awaiting that in the mail and see if that will solve the issue. I am not bypassing the stock amp, I am using that in this set up. I am guessing the volume issue might be cause the RCAs from the headunit use the preamp and the regular speaker wires do not?
Also the 1st person that told me to get the 6503 harness also told me to get a dash kit which was just a trim plate for in front of the radio. The METRA 99-6503 when I shoulda gotten the METRA 99-6505 which is also on its way to me.
anyone else have problems like this with their headunit installs?

Jason

206WJ 02-10-2010 10:40 AM

Re: aftermarket headunit install in WJ

I had about the same problem with my X910 in the WJ. I just used the high levels instead of RCA pre-outs. The factory amp is designed to have a high level input not a 2-4v low level RCA input going to it.

mrjaydeeone 02-11-2010 08:03 AM

okay so I should be cool after I rewire with the new harness?

206WJ 02-11-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjaydeeone (Post 148986)
okay so I should be cool after I rewire with the new harness?

Yes sir

mrjaydeeone 02-12-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 206WJ (Post 149458)
Yes sir

cool thanks. New harness arrived today. Hopefully the weather will hold out around my work schedule next week to allow me to rewire.

206WJ 02-14-2010 07:46 PM

Best way to do it is just to take both harnesses (New harnedss, and aftermarket HU harness) out of the Jeep and solder the connections together. If you do it right it just pops in when you get back to the jeep.

mrjaydeeone 02-14-2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 206WJ (Post 150900)
Best way to do it is just to take both harnesses (New harnedss, and aftermarket HU harness) out of the Jeep and solder the connections together. If you do it right it just pops in when you get back to the jeep.

yeah exactly. That is how I did the harness that is currently there. I am now just waiting on the new dash kit to come in so I can do it all at once.
thanks again