Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Color matched door handles and mirrors on overland (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/color-matched-door-handles-and-mirrors-on-overland-64092.html)

Dark_Shadow_GC 08-13-2013 04:45 PM

Color matched door handles and mirrors on overland

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not a fan of chrome. So I decided to do a mini project. I ordered a set of door handle and mirror covers for my GC. Then I ordered factory matched paint and clear coat. I just finished painting the covers to be color matched and will hopefully install them tomorrow. In all I've spent about $90 to get it all done.

So far they look great and match my paint. The moment of truth will be once I get them installed.

Has anyone else tried this? If so, how has it turned out?

Attachment 27799

twobars 08-13-2013 04:48 PM

Re: Color matched door handles and mirrors on overland

where did you buy the door handles?

Dark_Shadow_GC 08-13-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobars (Post 875236)
where did you buy the door handles?

Got the whole set off of amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006GF...AC_SX110_SY190

adthebadstud 08-13-2013 04:53 PM

So you bought chrome covers and handles and then painted them? Why not just paint the chrome ones that were on there already?

Dark_Shadow_GC 08-13-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adthebadstud (Post 875241)
So you bought chrome covers and handles and then painted them? Why not just paint the chrome ones that were on there already?

I considered that. But went the route of buying them in case I did not like it after done. They can be easily removed. Plus I don't have to take my mirrors or doors apart to do this.

adthebadstud 08-13-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Shadow_GC (Post 875243)
I considered that. But went the route of buying them in case I did not like it after done. They can be easily removed. Plus I don't have to take my mirrors or doors apart to do this.

Gotcha. I'm interested to see how this turns out as I went the cheaper Plastidip route on my brilliant black overland.

Dark_Shadow_GC 08-13-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adthebadstud (Post 875245)
Gotcha. I'm interested to see how this turns out as I went the cheaper Plastidip route on my brilliant black overland.

That's cool. Doable with the color you have. I considered doing that to mine, but it would not look the way I wanted it. I will post pics once I have them on. Truck is at the dealer getting some warranty work done, but I should have it back tomorrow. Will give the clearcoat time to dry.

bumpinjeep 08-13-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Shadow_GC (Post 875243)

Do they just pop on or something?

Dark_Shadow_GC 08-13-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumpinjeep (Post 875253)
Do they just pop on or something?

They have 3M tape on the back. You just put them on. Simple as that.

Matty470 08-14-2013 01:03 AM

Can't wait to see the end result.
I'm looking at doing the door handles too (my mirror caps come painted from the factory) and if the chrome covers work well I'll do that rather than painting them on the car.
I guess the only concern though is the chrome button on the front handles will still be chrome this way, rather than fully painted if the handles were painted on the car.

Wait and see....

Dark_Shadow_GC 08-15-2013 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So I got them installed today. I did not like the mirrors. Some of the chrome was visible so I took them right off. Might take the mirror covers off and paint those. The door handles look good. Some chrome is visible. After all they are covers. It gives the truck a different look, but I'm not sure I will keep them either. I'm liking the chrome now more that I see it without. Go figure.

Attachment 27912

Dark_Shadow_GC 08-15-2013 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 27913