Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   Interior Door Handle Insert Replacement (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/interior-door-handle-insert-replacement-64119.html)

Dynomyte97 08-14-2013 06:29 AM

Interior Door Handle Insert Replacement

My door handle inserts for my front passenger interior door completely cracked, thanks to a boneheaded move by a family member of mine. I found new inserts instead of replacing the entire door panel, and I was wondering if anyone else in here has replaced theirs. If so, was it a difficult fix? I appreciate any pointers anyone has. Thanks.

brentwoodkris 08-14-2013 08:33 AM

Re: Interior Door Handle Insert Replacement

If you're talking about the portion with the actual handle lever, it's probably not your family member's fault. All of mine had cracked and became unusable by 70k miles. It was a bad batch of resin that Jeep used, but they won't warranty them 99% of the time. I had to fight with corporate for months just to get a discount and get all the full panels replaced because at that time there was no separate kit.

Luckily for you, a couple guys started making great kits on eBay with detailed instructions. They work great (I installed them on my dad's WK when his all broke too). They run about $30/door.

Dynomyte97 08-14-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentwoodkris (Post 875598)
If you're talking about the portion with the actual handle lever, it's probably not your family member's fault. All of mine had cracked and became unusable by 70k miles. It was a bad batch of resin that Jeep used, but they won't warranty them 99% of the time. I had to fight with corporate for months just to get a discount and get all the full panels replaced because at that time there was no separate kit.

Luckily for you, a couple guys started making great kits on eBay with detailed instructions. They work great (I installed them on my dad's WK when his all broke too). They run about $30/door.

Thanks for the information. I don't know why I didn't think to check Ebay first. So used to "googling" everything I guess. :thumbsup:

brentwoodkris 08-14-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynomyte97 (Post 875623)
Thanks for the information. I don't know why I didn't think to check Ebay first. So used to "googling" everything I guess. :thumbsup:

Wow looks like based on their success, they've decided to become more proud of their pieces. Averaging closer to $80/each now...

jeep handle replacement kit | eBay

Dynomyte97 08-14-2013 04:39 PM

I looked earlier and was able to find a set of 4 for about $120, so $40 each. Still not bad since the original set I found was for $200 for all four.

brentwoodkris 08-14-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynomyte97 (Post 875997)
I looked earlier and was able to find a set of 4 for about $120, so $40 each. Still not bad since the original set I found was for $200 for all four.

Good find. Work has been pretty busy today so I didn't get to take much time to find you the best deal.

Jon Krol 08-15-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentwoodkris (Post 875598)

I've replaced all my inside door handles because 3 were cracked and one was completely unusable. I bought the aftermarket ones for $30.00 each off ebay. THEY ARE ALL THE SAME so buy the least expensive ones that are available there. Color matched my interior, Lt. Graystone, perfectly My interior color combo is Dk. Khaki and Lt. Graystone. The handles were Lt. Graystone. I gave a detailed description on how I did it over on Jeepforum.com. Do a search and I'm sure it will come up. Be sure you get the right handles! There are differences, there are two types. The years 05-07 had the handle pockets with the exposed screw hole in the center. The later ones, 08-10 have the ones that have a cap that covers the screw hole. The interior colors were different between the two sets of years so be sure to buy the right year handles for your WK. One other thing. You may be able to reuse them but when I removed the door panels some of the mounting pins broke. You will need to have some to reinstall the panels properly. I got mine from Au-ve-co Products. P# 20765. Don't buy them from Jeep. They will charge you $5.00 per piece. You can get a whole box full for not much more from Au-ve-co.

Dynomyte97 08-16-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Krol (Post 876767)
I've replaced all my inside door handles because 3 were cracked and one was completely unusable. I bought the aftermarket ones for $30.00 each off ebay. THEY ARE ALL THE SAME so buy the least expensive ones that are available there. Color matched my interior, Lt. Graystone, perfectly My interior color combo is Dk. Khaki and Lt. Graystone. The handles were Lt. Graystone. I gave a detailed description on how I did it over on Jeepforum.com. Do a search and I'm sure it will come up. Be sure you get the right handles! There are differences, there are two types. The years 05-07 had the handle pockets with the exposed screw hole in the center. The later ones, 08-10 have the ones that have a cap that covers the screw hole. The interior colors were different between the two sets of years so be sure to buy the right year handles for your WK. One other thing. You may be able to reuse them but when I removed the door panels some of the mounting pins broke. You will need to have some to reinstall the panels properly. I got mine from Au-ve-co Products. P# 20765. Don't buy them from Jeep. They will charge you $5.00 per piece. You can get a whole box full for not much more from Au-ve-co.

I noticed that there were a few with and without those covers, so I'll make sure to get the proper ones. As for the instructions, what I had seen was for Jeep Commanders, but it stated that the process was the same for Cherokees as well. I'll make sure to check out your post in Jeepforum.com. Is your screen name the same on that sight? This information has been very helpful. Thank you.

brentwoodkris 08-16-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Krol (Post 876767)

The trim panels pop pins are the same as those used on the doors of the WJ. I bought a pack of 50 of them on eBay for my last WJ and paid around $5 shipped. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they were the same on the WK when I removed the panels to do the speaker upgrade.