Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   2014 WK2 SRT Missing Fuel Tank Shield and Skid Plate (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/2014-wk2-srt-missing-fuel-tank-shield-and-skid-plate-64128.html)

Red Suns 08-14-2013 12:33 PM

2014 WK2 SRT Missing Fuel Tank Shield and Skid Plate

2 Attachment(s)
I Need some help here. I've been dealing with a couple of assembly defects (damaged fuel tank heat shield and left rear wheel well fender liner) that I will cover later in my 3000 mile review.

After crawling under the vehicle last Sat to see what was previously done, I noticed an anomaly when comparing the left and right side underneath the vehicle. The right side was apparently missing a Fuel Tank Shield and Skid Plate.

When I brought this issue up with the service manager at the dealership, according to him, there are no shields on either the SRT JGC or the Limited JGC they have in the showroom.

1. Are you WK2 folks missing the same Fuel Tank Shield and Skid Plate too?
2. And if so, why would Chysler install one side (Left) and not the other (Right).
3. And if so, why would Chysler list the parts and not install them? (Cut costs?)

BigNorm4Life 08-14-2013 12:43 PM

Re: 2014 WK2 SRT Missing Fuel Tank Shield and Skid Plate

I would assume that the SRT WK2 because doesn't need them because
  1. It's not meant for off roading, its meant for the street and track
  2. Low ground clearance
  3. Adds weight and screws up aerodynamics

Red Suns 08-14-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigNorm4Life (Post 875798)
I would assume that the SRT WK2 because doesn't need them because
  1. It's not meant for off roading, its meant for the street and track
  2. Low ground clearance
  3. Adds weight and screws up aerodynamics

Very good points regarding that this vehicle is not meant for off roading and that aerodynamics may have a played a part in this. That makes sense.

The only confusing part I still have looming is that the service manager stated that the Limited JGC they have in the showroom does not have this as well. Go figure. :confused:

BigNorm4Life 08-14-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Suns (Post 875804)
Very good points regarding that this vehicle is not meant for off roading and that aerodynamics may have a played a part in this. That makes sense.

The only confusing part I still have looming is that the service manager stated that the Limited JGC they have in the showroom does not have this as well. Go figure. :confused:

hmm.. I assume that particular Limited Jeep is not trail rated and not really optioned out with the skid plated. what does the window sticker say

Red Suns 08-14-2013 01:02 PM

When I get a chance to make my way out to the dealership sometime today or tommorow, I will take a look.

I am just really curious to see if other folks who have a 2012-2014 JGC SRT and non SRT have JUST the Fuel tank skid plate missing on the RIGHT side.

Red Suns 08-14-2013 01:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So I think I figured this one out. BigNorm4Life got me thinking if these skid plate were optional and so I did some digging.

I ended up on: http://www.jeep.com/en/2013/grand_ch...d_performance/

It appears that the Fuel Tank Shield and Skid Plate are part of the "Off Road Adventure Group".

So, unless you are spec'd with these options as part of your build, you will not have these plastic skid plates that are quite pricey BTW.

Scottina06 08-14-2013 02:40 PM

yep...must have ORA2 to get skids

xJoshxx 08-14-2013 05:26 PM

I added the Fuel Tank skids and Front Diff Skid. Easy to do if your fuel tank is on E!

Diff Skid was 20 minutes lol.

Made no difference on my 0-60 times and piece of mind to me.

BobsWK2 08-14-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Suns (Post 875792)
I Need some help here. I've been dealing with a couple of assembly defects (damaged fuel tank heat shield and left rear wheel well fender liner) that I will cover later in my 3000 mile review.

After crawling under the vehicle last Sat to see what was previously done, I noticed an anomaly when comparing the left and right side underneath the vehicle. The right side was apparently missing a Fuel Tank Shield and Fuel Tank Skid Plate.

When I brought this issue up with the service manager at the dealership, according to him, there are no shields on either the SRT JGC or the Limited JGC they have in the showroom.

1. Are you WK2 folks missing the same Fuel Tank Shield and Fuel Tank Skid Plates too?
2. And if so, why would Chysler install one side (Left) and not the other (Right).
3. And if so, why would Chysler list the parts and not install them? (Cut costs?)

You do know that the 2 photos you supplied are of the floor pan, and not the skid plates. Whether your vehicle had them or not, the skid plates wouldn't cover those areas.

Red Suns 08-14-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 876151)
You do know that the 2 photos you supplied are of the floor pan, and not the skid plates. Whether your vehicle had them or not, the skid plates wouldn't cover those areas.

Yes, thanks for reminding me to clarify that error on my part. Post #6 best illustrates my issue regarding the skid plates. To prevent confusion I will remove the misleading pics in my first post.