Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Kid locked in car (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/kid-locked-in-car-64133.html)

kaflyboy 08-14-2013 02:54 PM

Kid locked in car
 
Bad situation today.

My wife had the key in the center console after unlocking my 2011 jeep summit. She put the fob in the cup holder and put our daughter in the back seat. She went to close the tailgate via the button and the car locked after the tailgate closed.

We had to call the fire department to shimmy the door open after the dealership said they couldn't get there for at least an hour. The door was scratched when the fire department shimmied the door open.

I have a lifetime warranty on the jeep.

They're saying its 260 for a new fab. Wtf.

What are my steps to get this fixed, for free??????? I'm pissed.

AZhiCntry 08-14-2013 03:01 PM

Re: Kid locked in car
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaflyboy (Post 875886)
Bad situation today.

My wife had the key in the center console after unlocking my 2011 jeep summit. She put the fob in the cup holder and put our daughter in the back seat. She went to close the tailgate via the button and the car locked after the tailgate closed.

We had to call the fire department to shimmy the door open after the dealership said they couldn't get there for at least an hour. The door was scratched when the fire department shimmied the door open.

I have a lifetime warranty on the jeep.

They're saying its 260 for a new fab. Wtf.

What are my steps to get this fixed, for free??????? I'm pissed.

So why are they telling you a new fob is needed? The fob didn't lock the car! Hide an extra key on the veh somewhere.

Specx 08-14-2013 03:06 PM

Re: Kid locked in car
 
I'm guessing because the fob triggered the door lock when the tailgate was closed?

AZhiCntry 08-14-2013 03:11 PM

Re: Kid locked in car
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Specx (Post 875898)
I'm guessing because the fob triggered the door lock when the tailgate was closed?

That's a $260 guess! :lol: The fob can't trigger the door locks unless a button is pressed or stuck on.

Specx 08-14-2013 03:18 PM

Re: Kid locked in car
 
That's my best interpretation of why they are charging without the posters answer. I don't understand why the car would lock by just closing the gate and why the fob is requiring a replacement unless it was determined to be the cause of the locking and has a internal issue.

weck 08-14-2013 03:20 PM

Re: Kid locked in car
 
I'd say more likely the jeep didn't realize that a door was opened after the vehicle was unlocked, and then relocked itself (mine does this if you unlock and don't open a door for 60 seconds). That is unlikely because you would have opened one front door, one rear door, and a tailgate in there.

Is it possible the lock button was inadvertently pressed en route to the cup holder? If you hit lock on the fob, does the jeep lock automatically once all doors are closed?

I feel for the OP, not a good situation but atleast no harm other than a scratch and a story to tell.

padgett 08-14-2013 03:20 PM

Re: Kid locked in car
 
I am not hearing everything. The only way I have been able to get my heep to lock with a fob in the cupholder is if one of the doors is partly but not completely (first click) closed.

Then pushing that door shut gave the three beeps and an unlock.

Of course this is on a '12. Maybe they fixed something.

AZhiCntry 08-14-2013 03:32 PM

Re: Kid locked in car
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Specx (Post 875909)
That's my best interpretation of why they are charging without the posters answer. I don't understand why the car would lock by just closing the gate and why the fob is requiring a replacement unless it was determined to be the cause of the locking and has a internal issue.

That's why I asked why the dealer thinks a new fob will fix a probable 1 time problem. It was most likely caused by electronic interference from another source. The electronics in these cars can have these types of occasional glitches for a number of reasons.
:mad: My 2014 JGC locked on it's own the other day with a fob inside the passenger compartment. They are not supposed to do this but it did! The dealer could find nothing wrong. I had to drive out with the other fob to unlock the veh. I now have a hidden key on the veh as I can not trust that it will not happen again.

Willx 08-14-2013 03:35 PM

Re: Kid locked in car
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 875912)
I am not hearing everything. The only way I have been able to get my heep to lock with a fob in the cupholder is if one of the doors is partly but not completely (first click) closed.

Then pushing that door shut gave the three beeps and an unlock.

Of course this is on a '12. Maybe they fixed something.

I have a 2011 Durango and the only way you can get it to lock while a FOB is inside is buy double pressing a lock button... or something to that affect. I will need to look again but it is not easy. It gives you a warning beep.

I am going to check though. We do lock a Fob in the car from time to time for someone esle to pick up and it is tough to do sometimes because I forget how to do it.

1Jeepmover 08-14-2013 03:36 PM

Re: Kid locked in car
 
You probably don't need a new fob. Just replace the battery. It's a 2011 model and probably ran out of juice. Go to Radio Shack for the replacement they have the little round watch style batteries that it requires!

AZhiCntry 08-14-2013 04:05 PM

Re: Kid locked in car
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Jeepmover (Post 875934)
You probably don't need a new fob. Just replace the battery. It's a 2011 model and probably ran out of juice. Go to Radio Shack for the replacement they have the little round watch style batteries that it requires!

Can you explain how a fob transmitter with a dead battery can cause the veh to lock by itself. :confused:

Willx 08-14-2013 04:12 PM

Re: Kid locked in car
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AZhiCntry (Post 875958)
Can you explain how a fob transmitter with a dead battery can cause the veh to lock by itself. :confused:

well, it can't there still would have been some inadvertant locking of the vehicle. but if the battery was dead or really low it would have allowed it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community