Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/)
-   -   Camshaft Position Sensor 99 Jeep JGC Limited (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/camshaft-position-sensor-99-jeep-jgc-limited-64137.html)

Mojorizin 08-14-2013 04:37 PM

Camshaft Position Sensor 99 Jeep JGC Limited

I have a 99 JGC limited, and am having a difficult time locating the camshaft position sensor for replacement. Can someone provide a tip and or photo of where this is located on the engine block. Its an 8 Cylinder, 4.7L engine.

Symptom: car wont start. I have r & rd the crankshaft position sensor, and spark plugs, however the engine cycles once and cuts off. No check engine light.

Any suggestions?

Frango100 08-14-2013 08:45 PM

Re: Camshaft Position Sensor 99 Jeep JGC Limited

1 Attachment(s)
Camshaft sensor sits on the forward right side of the right cylinder head (as seen from drivers position).
Did you check if fuel pressure is ok first (you could just press in the schräder valve on the fuel rail and check if fuel under pressure comes out).
Also is the SKIS light (Sentry Key Immobilizer System) not ON on the dash?

Mojorizin 08-14-2013 09:23 PM

Yes the SKIS (Alarm) light is on flashing.

Mojorizin 08-15-2013 02:30 PM

Ok, I have my new camshaft position sensor installed, however it cranks but doesn't start, I have put the battery on the trickle charger since it has been driven in two weeks. The battery was indicating about 9v before charge.

Frango100 08-15-2013 03:21 PM

A flashing SKIS light means an invalid key or at least the SKIM is not seeing a valid key. Do you have a spare key to try out?
If you do the key dance, does the odometer show DONE? (ignition switch off/on three times and leave in on at the third time. The odometer will show DONE when all ok, or any fault code(s).
9V on the battery means that it is completely discharged. First charge it until it shows 12.7 V (check half an hour after charging) and then try to start again. A too low battery voltage can give strange behaviour.

Mojorizin 08-15-2013 03:44 PM

Yes, I have a spare key will try that out the key dance, two the battery is on the trickle charger will check it an hour. Initially it started to run then died when I took my foot off the accelerator.

Frango100 08-15-2013 04:24 PM

Could be that the low battery voltage errased the memory from the PCM, so that it lost its IAC stepper motor settings and will not idle. Next start keep your foot on the accelerator for some minutes (not that high, but enough to stay running, say 1500 rpm) and then see what it does.

Mojorizin 08-15-2013 05:59 PM

Ok, I performed the key/code procedure. The original code display was 0340, this repeats every time I cycle the key 3 times. The car will cycle then shutoff, I did not hold my foot on the accelerator will try that next.

Not sure this is a valid code?

Frango100 08-16-2013 08:04 AM

P0340 JEEP - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit

Symptoms
- Check Engine Light ON
- Lack/Loss of Power
- Engine Stall

Possible causes
-
Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
- Faulty starter motor
- Starting system circuit
-
Dead (Weak) battery

Tech notes

Sometimes and in some models, low battery voltage or a weak starter can can trigger a
Camshaft Position Sensor code.

So try first to start it and let it run with your foot on the accelerator for some minutes and then see what it does.

Mojorizin 08-16-2013 08:08 AM

I've found the 0304 is a valid code, indicating a misfire with cylinder 4, the probable cause are:
  • Faulty spark plug or wire - Spark plugs have been replaced
  • Faulty coil pack - needs to be investigated
  • Faulty O2 sensor- so far no code for this
  • Faulty fuel injector - doubtful
  • Burned exhaust valve- ?
  • Faulty catalytic converter- Highly doubtful
  • Low fuel- fuel is low less than a qtr tank
  • Poor compression - Suspect no way to check at present
  • Defective computer - ? Is there a way to reset?
Everytime I reset the code, code 0304 reappears, in the ODO display. The misfire was ocurring before the plugs were replaced.:cool:

A code P0304 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: Faulty spark plug or wire Faulty coil (pack) Faulty oxygen sensor(s) Faulty fuel injector Burned exhaust valve Faulty catalytic converter(s) Running out of fuel Poor compression Defective computer

Read more at: OBD-II Trouble Code: P0304 Cylinder 4 Four Misfire Detected
Copyright © OBD-Codes.com
A code P0304 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: Faulty spark plug or wire Faulty coil (pack) Faulty oxygen sensor(s) Faulty fuel injector Burned exhaust valve Faulty catalytic converter(s) Running out of fuel Poor compression Defective computer

Mojorizin 08-16-2013 11:44 AM

Ok, replaced with a new battery, cranks but no start, still getting the 0340 code upon performing reset function. Interesting. New plugs, CPS, CKP sensors.

No change could the PCM be screwed up is there a way to reset it?

Mojorizin 08-16-2013 05:15 PM

After installing the new battery and checking the COP's, the car started to run and then shut off, engine pressure appeared to be, released, and oil started spurting from underneath the motor on the front center passenger side. Not good. It appears, I have a cracked seal or something underneath. I give up, the car will need to be towed, to the nearest service center.