Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Miles per tank? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/miles-per-tank-64178.html)

Sigz 08-15-2013 05:23 PM

Miles per tank?
 
Took a nice drive from Madison, WI to Gurnee, IL the other day. Had some drives around town and to work for a couple days... and finally filled up:

Got 401.1 miles on a full tank of gas. Overall MPG 22.4mpg.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2sal46c.jpg


Stock 2008 3.7L V6 4x4.


http://i40.tinypic.com/2k1zk8.jpg


This is for sure a record for me. Anyone else with PR's?

zeprider25 08-15-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigz (Post 876761)
Took a nice drive from Madison, WI to Gurnee, IL the other day. Had some drives around town and to work for a couple days... and finally filled up:

Got 401.1 miles on a full tank of gas. Overall MPG 22.4mpg.

Stock 2008 3.7L V6 4x4.

This is for sure a record for me. Anyone else with PR's?

i once got 18.7 with mds off... on 92 gas. normally average 14.5-16

SvenskaJeepGuy 08-16-2013 01:09 AM

Re: Miles per tank?
 
with my 4.7 running the performance 87 tune with my SC I get 23-24mpg on the highway with cc set on 65. without the tune I was lucky to hit 20-21

Scottina06 08-16-2013 02:23 AM

Wow...thats incredible for a 4.7.

Blackout 08-16-2013 02:37 PM

Re: Miles per tank?
 
I'll be lucky to get 3/4 that... :( Just took a 60 mile round trip drive to a dr appt cruising about 75 and was averaging 14.5....Crazy how once you get over 2 rpms, the gas gets drank like kool aid

Walt 08-24-2013 08:38 PM

Re: Miles per tank?
 
Combined driving is normally 320 miles per tank, although I normally do not let it get that low. One quarter (1/4) tank is my normal fill point.

The 320 mi number is distance travelled plus distance-to-empty from the EVIC.

This equates to about 16 mpg overall on 89 octane.

jeepgcoman 08-24-2013 10:08 PM

Re: Miles per tank?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackout (Post 877338)
I'll be lucky to get 3/4 that... :( Just took a 60 mile round trip drive to a dr appt cruising about 75 and was averaging 14.5....Crazy how once you get over 2 rpms, the gas gets drank like kool aid

It's not so much the RPM as it is the lack of aerodynamics, the weight of the vehicle, and the speed you're driving. You'll lose ~5% for each 5 mph over 60 mph. With the cam I have in mine, I get better fuel economy running it at 60-65 mph in 4th gear.....around 2200 RPM than I do at the same speed in 5th gear. I think it would do even a little better if I could get it up around 2500 RPM and still keep the MDS on.

Strongjeff 09-10-2013 07:09 PM

Re: Miles per tank?
 
I easily get 26-28 hiway

Strongjeff 09-10-2013 07:18 PM

Re: Miles per tank?
 
ive gotten 500 on the highway

Bikemobile 09-13-2013 09:17 AM

Re: Miles per tank?
 
425-450 miles per tank highway. 300 around town

Switchback 09-13-2013 08:17 PM

Re: Miles per tank?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 881965)
It's not so much the RPM as it is the lack of aerodynamics, the weight of the vehicle, and the speed you're driving. You'll lose ~5% for each 5 mph over 60 mph. With the cam I have in mine, I get better fuel economy running it at 60-65 mph in 4th gear.....around 2200 RPM than I do at the same speed in 5th gear. I think it would do even a little better if I could get it up around 2500 RPM and still keep the MDS on.

Dont forget tire inflation.

Walt 09-15-2013 06:14 PM

Re: Miles per tank?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Switchback (Post 893028)
Dont forget tire inflation.

Interesting point.

In years past (....back in the day...), everyone held the mfgrs' recommend inflation pressure, even on replacement tires. Gives very smooth ride at the sacrifice of some tire wear and mpg's.
Now, I see the replacements tend to be sent out at 1-3 psig higher than the original values with little ( -or- no) loss of comfort and a small increase in mpg's.

The '08 WK tire placard calls for 33 psig and now I run 35 psig with no adverse symptoms. Belle Tire filled the Michelins with Nitrogen (free). I've not had to adjust the tire pressures very often, even though I check them on a weekly basis. When I do, I use their Nitrogen fill line.

My 2 cents worth. Anybody else notice this trend?

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community