Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   8 speed transmission feedback? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/8-speed-transmission-feedback-64195.html)

JRNYC 08-15-2013 11:20 PM

8 speed transmission feedback?

Searched but couldn't find any info.

How is the new 8 speed tranny on the v6 working out?

Worthwhile to pick up a used 2014 Laredo next year ( more money ) as opposed to a 2011-13 with 5 speed?

bill_de 08-15-2013 11:47 PM

Re: 8 speed transmission feedback?

Where did you search, under the bed?

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/flash...ine-63639.html

---

jacko15 08-16-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 877015)
Where did you search, under the bed?

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/flash...ine-63639.html

---

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::slapfight:

JRNYC 08-16-2013 08:32 AM

I'm scared to look under my bed! But that didn't come up in my 8 speed transmission search or any of the variants I tried. Thanks for the link :thumbsup:

JRNYC 08-16-2013 08:50 AM

Ahh after looking at the link I read that whole thread last night.

So it's all 8 speeds having the problem then? I don't see any comments of people happy with the tranny or any feedback of improved power/torque feel or better gas mileage. Maybe its still too fresh on the road and no feedback from a fixed bunch.

I thought my 5 speed was just fine. Maybe a little sluggish in some situations on the highway but much better than what appears to be in the 8 speeds.

lstowell 08-16-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRNYC (Post 877154)
Ahh after looking at the link I read that whole thread last night.

So it's all 8 speeds having the problem then? I don't see any comments of people happy with the tranny or any feedback of improved power/torque feel or better gas mileage. Maybe its still too fresh on the road and no feedback from a fixed bunch.

I thought my 5 speed was just fine. Maybe a little sluggish in some situations on the highway but much better than what appears to be in the 8 speeds.

Not all 8 speeds. The one on the hemi and diesel is a native ZF. The one on the V6 is a Mopar/ZF.

If you pick one up, get it flashed.

As for info on the 8 speeds in general, there are polls, there are threads, boy are there threads.

When working well, it really improves performance across the board on either the Hemi or the V6--mileage, driving, and all.

tomk 08-16-2013 05:25 PM

The 8sp rocks in terms of mileage behind the V8.

Swapping off in daily driving between my '07 WK 5.7L and my '14 WK2 5.7L, they are very different.

I do wish there was a menu checkbox in the UConnect that says "just shift dammit" though..

At this point I'm lovin' both my Hemis.

...tom

1rawZ06 08-18-2013 05:23 PM

I love my 2014 with 8spd... way better then my 2013

mswlogo 08-18-2013 09:23 PM

He's talking about next year. So why worry about flashing unless he's considering used.

I just got mine Friday. Built 3 weeks ago or so. Took about 1 month from the time I ordered it.

So far transmission is silky smooth and MPG is looking very promising.

I got a limited with Tow Package and Nav. Nothing else.

jacko15 08-18-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRNYC (Post 877154)

So it's all 8 speeds having the problem then?

Mine was delivered on 4-13. If you really spend some time reading the threads on this forum you'll see others besides myself that like the way the 8 spd works. I haven't had the update, and don't plan on it either. My Jeep shifts fine. I rarely go out of eco mode. I'm happy. I've owned dozens of different vehicles, and my JGC is right up there with the best I've ever driven. I'm not minimizing the problems others are experiencing with the shift of the 8 spd, but it's just not my experience.

JRNYC 08-19-2013 08:43 AM

Thanks for the input. I'm still a year out before my next jeep purchase which I hope to pay all or mostly cash. So the 14 will be an off lease and pre owned option then.

Thorough searching On forums is tough on an iPhone and just a little better on an I pad. Very tough on one and half eyes ;)

Thanks for the feedback.

04blackz 08-19-2013 08:33 PM

Well after having our 8 speed swapped I love it. Driving it with Eco off seems like it shifts and has plenty of power. And I love driving in manual shift mode. Also it shifts nice and smooth when you're heavy on the pedal haha