Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Hey Everyone (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/hey-everyone-64208.html)

Bobbytaz 08-16-2013 02:13 PM

Hey Everyone

Just traded in my 300C and picked up a 2006 WK 5.7 Limited, Stone White.

I was able to get my Mild Steel Air Hammer to fit from my 300, so I am very happy, hopefully she will breath better.

For these Jeeps, should I get a 180 or 190 thermostat?

Is there a resonator delete kit out there? Will go with a flow master 40 series also, don't care about the drone, my 300 had it, and I just play the stereo louder.

Which programmer is better for these? I had a Diablo Predator for my 300, but it does not work with this Jeep, Sold it, waiting to buy one for this.

I also have a BT catch can, was looking for an install location, which is what brought me here.

I am sure I will have a ton more questions, first priority is better gas mileage. Hahahaha

Bob

Scottina06 08-17-2013 12:36 AM

Re: Hey Everyone

WELCOME to the JeepGarage family!!!

Be sure to check out the "Jeep Garage" mobile app at the Google and Itunes app stores!

Shafer57 08-17-2013 09:00 AM

I have a 180 stat, per tuners request. There's no "Horsepower" gain or anything, but it is necessary for tuning. Just don't forget to change your fan settings after you put the new one in.

My catch can is where most others are as well, right behind the overflow coolant tank. On a custom Home Depot bracket.

Bobbytaz 08-17-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shafer57 (Post 877711)
I have a 180 stat, per tuners request. There's no "Horsepower" gain or anything, but it is necessary for tuning. Just don't forget to change your fan settings after you put the new one in.

My catch can is where most others are as well, right behind the overflow coolant tank. On a custom Home Depot bracket.

Thank You!! I know no horsepower gain with the stat, just runs cooler. Is it the same one I used for my 5.7 Chrysler 300?

I put in a Mild steel air hammer CAI, and I have room in front for the catch can, but behind the overflow is a great spot. Thanks

Shafer57 08-17-2013 01:52 PM

I do believe they're the same stats. Here's two links, I bought mine on Amazon and it was cheaper. I recommend you get in touch with Hemifever also to tune your truck if/when you're ready. Either buy a Diablosport and run data-logs so he can tune based on that, or buy a handheld directly from him.

He will also adjust the fan settings for you.

JET 10183 Thermostat : Amazon.com : Automotive

JET Performance 10183 JET Performance Low-Temp Thermostats

jeepgcoman 09-05-2013 09:39 PM

Welcome to the forum, Bob. I still have my LX (Magnum RT), and just about everything on the engine is interchangeable. For that matter, both my LX and WK are modded almost exactly the same. I used to be very active in the LX community (magnuman) when the LX's first came out. We were all on a learning curve back then, and there were no aftermarket goodies. Back in 05 I came up with the MDS "ON" light mod. for the LX's, and it too works (same wiring pinouts) for the WK, Thermostats are the same, but I finally gave up on the 190* units and went back to the stock 205's. The only difference it makes is at the race track, which I only do about 3-4 times a year.

Since you're not concerned with the MDS drone, just cut the resonator off and add your Flowmaster. Bare in mind that the WK has a single exhaust with absolutely terrible log manifolds. They are the big weak spot in the exhaust. Here's a thread I did on the differences between the LX and WK logs. This would be a good, inexpensive mod. if you're on a budget, and have access to some LX logs. http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/a-bette...-wk-19490.html No one makes tubular headers specifically for the 5.7, but some have gone with the stock SRT's (require some modding to fit), and some have gone with the 6.1 after market long tubes. I run custom tubulars with a 3 in. Magnaflow/Xlerator AP cat. back on the WK and JBA shorties and high flow cats. with the stock 2.25 in. tubing and Daytona Charger muffler and stock resonators on the LX.

There are a number of threads on mounting the BT Catch Can. Most use the LX can and do a custom mount. I mounted mine to the strut support bar. As on the Hemi LX's, the catch can is a must on the WK Hemi's too.

Glad you got the AirHammer to work. Those were good CAI's. I've got a modified LX SRT airbox (K&N) and tube on mine and a stock LX SRT box (TruFlow) on the LX. The CAI will make the most difference if you improve the exhaust, otherwise you're not helping the volumetric efficiency that much...with just the CAI.

Tuners are a matter of preference. I have both tuners for both vehicles, but I run the DS on the LX, and the SC, with the Advanced Transmission Tuning App. on the WK. Like Shafer57 said, you can go with the DS and a CMR tune, but again, IMO, you should improve the exhaust before a CMR tune is done on it. By all means get a tuner early on though. The reason I prefer the SC on the WK is totally because of the ATT App. The WK's have the POS 545RFE tranny, and not the NAG1 like the LX. IMO, this App. is a must to make it bearable. It cannot (at least the early ones) be made into a true autostick like you can with the NAG1. After you drive yours a bit, you'll see just how bad it is compared to the NAG1. On mine I added the Sonnax Line Pressure Booster first, and when the ATT App. came out for the SC, I modified the up/down shift schedules, torque management settings, and WOT shift points. Now, it is actually pretty decent. Prior to the introduction of the App. I almost always ran the DS, because it performed a little better and delivered slightly better fuel economy. Not so anymore with the ATT App.

Anyway, let the mods. begin, and have fun.