Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Want to add Royal Purple- Purple Ice on my 2012 Jeep GC 5.7L (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/want-to-add-royal-purple-purple-ice-on-my-2012-jeep-gc-5-7l-64245.html)

Jeep Qatar 08-17-2013 09:51 AM

Want to add Royal Purple- Purple Ice on my 2012 Jeep GC 5.7L

I want to add Royal Purple Ice to my GC's coolant. As per their instructions, it is said that to add 1oz per quart of coolant.

Does anyone know how many quarts of coolant does the Jeep GC 5.7L Hemi take?

f1anatic 08-17-2013 10:17 AM

Re: Want to add Royal Purple- Purple Ice on my 2012 Jeep GC 5.7L

does it not say in the user manual in the maintenance section?

I've used Redline Water Wetter in the past to my turbocharged Subaru. I am not sure it made a difference to be honest, and coolant temperature is one of the digital gauges I always glance at when driving

what you can also do is run a more diluted coolant or straight up water (distilled water only) since you guys don't experience freezing temperatures

Jeep Qatar 08-17-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 877749)

I've used Redline Water Wetter in the past to my turbocharged Subaru. I am not sure it made a difference to be honest, and coolant temperature is one of the digital gauges I always glance at when driving

what you can also do is run a more diluted coolant or straight up water (distilled water only) since you guys don't experience freezing temperatures

Thanks for the reply. I found from the manual that it takes 16 quarts ,if with trailer tow package, and 15.4 quarts if without trailer tow package.

I think your ideas is good about running a more diluted coolant.
But how much should I dilute it?
I am thinking about flushing out 5 quarts from the radiator and then adding 5 quarts of distilled water.
But when the coolant is more diluted, would that affect the durability of the water pump or radiator?

f1anatic 08-17-2013 03:41 PM

I've seen Subaru guys run water with water wetter only for 5 months a year on temperate climates.

over here, when you buy coolant concentrates bottles, there is a label on the back with a diagram and different mixing options: 50-50%; 25-75% and so on and the freezing temperatures that the mixture is rated for.

the glycols in the coolant act to lower the freezing point but in itself has no anti-corrosion properties.

brando26 08-17-2013 08:19 PM

it does help lube the water pump bearings - so keep that in mind.

moosehead 08-17-2013 11:34 PM

Per wk2jeeps.com

Hemi coolsnt capacity is 14.5 quarts

V6 is 14.0 quarts

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - 2011 Grand Cherokee engines

Milous 08-17-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep Qatar (Post 877734)
I want to add Royal Purple Ice to my GC's coolant.

AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!

CAUTION: Do not use coolant additives that are claimed to improve engine cooling.

kkreit01 08-20-2013 12:39 PM

^ What he said. Leave it alone, and follow your manual for maintenance.

lstowell 08-20-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Pure water may not boil at as high a temperature as mixed coolant, and it definitely wouldn't keep the internals from corroding into oblivion.

lstowell 08-20-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 877867)
I've seen Subaru guys run water with water wetter only for 5 months a year on temperate climates.

over here, when you buy coolant concentrates bottles, there is a label on the back with a diagram and different mixing options: 50-50%; 25-75% and so on and the freezing temperatures that the mixture is rated for.

the glycols in the coolant act to lower the freezing point but in itself has no anti-corrosion properties.

If it were just a water wetting agent, suspect it wouldn't hurt a thing.
Since it also has corrosion inhibitors, those may or may not be compatible with the coolant requirements in the hemi--which is an awful expensive engine to replace.

The 10 year antifreeze also has wetting agents, as does most antifreeze these days...

Baalic 08-20-2013 05:22 PM

Unless you have done some engine work, "Cam, turbo, etc" I dont see why you would even need this in a stock application in such a new vehicle. I was going to use some in my old 4.0 but that was a 5k dollar truck vs my 50k dollar truck.....

Your truck though, let us know if it actually works.

The Evil Twin 09-02-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 878030)
AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!

CAUTION: Do not use coolant additives that are claimed to improve engine cooling.

^^THIS!
HOAT coolant is a finicky thing. My advice is to leave it alone. If you are having cooling issues on a stock motor there may be an underlying cause.
Quote:

True, glycol antifreeze actually reduces the heat capacity of a system. Distilled water will move more heat than 50/50. Some family down in TX use a 25/75 mix in their truck used to tow horse trailers. There is also MoCool in it to further reduce corrosion. I also use 75/25 in my ZX10 as it never sees freezing temps. HOWEVER, neither of those vehicles used HOAT coolant.