Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Members Rides-Showoff (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/)
-   -   Some nice photos and 25 easy steps to going insane. Warning 2011-13 Content! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/some-nice-photos-and-25-easy-steps-to-going-insane-warning-2011-13-content-64251.html)

SixZeroFour 08-17-2013 02:39 PM

Some nice photos and 25 easy steps to going insane. Warning 2011-13 Content!

8 Attachment(s)
It's been awhile since I gave the old Jeep a mod of some kind so I figured it was time for the chrome grill to go - especially now that I wrapped the rear tailgate chrome in matte black and installed the black step pad surround.

Normally this would only take a couple hours tops, but unfortunatley fate had other plans for me this time around. :eek:

Step 1: Remove Chrome grill surround. Piece of cake, it's off in less than 5 min.
Step 2: Clean thouroughly
Step 3: Painstakingly wrap said grill with the same matte vinyl I used on the tailgate. Quickly discover this is NOT an easy piece to wrap. Finally after about an hour have it all wrapped and tucked around the brutal inside corners and... IT LOOKS AMAZING. I cant belive it came out as well as it did.
Step 4: Go to sleep a happy man.
Step 5: Wake up in the morning a happy man.
Step 6: Walk out to the garage and quickly become a very unhappy man as almost all of the inside corners have lifted or bubbled.
Step 7: See Step 1.
Step 8: Peel back all the vinyl - this is a PITA and left a bunch of residue
Step 9: Rub fingerprints clean off trying to remove residue (Yes I used goo gone, heat etc)
Step 10: Wash and dry grill completely to remove goo gone oils etc.
Step 11: Decide to plasti-dip this time around. Lay down the first 3 coats, everything loks great.
Step 12: Lay down final coat
Step 13: Realize that I had the can too far away so the finish now has a wrinkle texture to it. So much that you cant wipe a microfibre cloth over it or it sticks like velcro. It also looked too grey and didnt match the trim.
Step 14: See Step 1.
Step 15: Remove plastidip - once again my fingertips are loving me.
Step 16: Wash and dry completely.
Step 17: Back to Vinyl!! - and another hour plus carefully wrapping etc. (This time I am going to heat the crap out of all the corners so it causes the vinyl to loose its memory and hopefully increase hold.
Step 18: Admire your grill that once again looks amazing.
Step 19: See Steps 4 thru 10
Step 20: Talk to vinyl expert. Get told it will be VERY difficult to properly wrap the grill and have it last.

Step 21: Start loosing my shit.

Step 22: BACK TO MF'ing Plasti Dip this time vowing to pay more attention to distance of spray can.
Step 23: Lay down perfect coats - looks much better so far
Step 24: Use Plasti Dip Glossifier to darken things up (2 coats)
Step 25: (It's now 1:22am) Stand in shock looking at Jeep finally realizing that it actually worked and looks amazing again.

I'd like to personally thank my Jeep for this lesson in patience. I am a stronger person now because of you. :D

Sullivan4109 08-17-2013 06:39 PM

It certainly looks like all of your hard work paid off!

GMWK2 08-17-2013 06:52 PM

You're write up made me laugh. Well done!

And looks great too.

Wino 08-17-2013 08:27 PM

Re: Some nice photos and 25 easy steps to going insane. Warning 2011-13 Content!

I admit, I started giggling at Step 19 and laughing out loud at Step 21.

Looks great! :thumbsup:

Ls9999 09-04-2013 09:19 PM

604...what bulbs do you have in your fogs?

dslide 09-05-2013 10:21 PM

Re: Some nice photos and 25 easy steps to going insane. Warning 2011-13 Content!

Classic post. End result looks awesome!

scooterha 09-10-2013 06:09 AM

LOL I went through the same crap when I tried plasti-dipping my grille the first go round... your story made me laugh because, I'm sure when you saw the plasti-dip wasnt layering right you got the "wtf" look haha good write and Warning Label of the 2011-2013 content ha

GBJeep 09-13-2013 08:48 AM

Turned out great, but your write up is hilarious!
Thank you