Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   2014 GCs that have steering shimmy over 60MPH (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2014-gcs-that-have-steering-shimmy-over-60mph-64286.html)

shewstring 08-18-2013 11:54 AM

2014 GCs that have steering shimmy over 60MPH
 
I know a number of members have commented in various threads about having the shimmy at speeds over 65MPH. Trying to get a sense if you have it if there is any commonality in level of vehicle (ie. power telescope column, 20" wheels)

Roadmaster45 08-18-2013 12:14 PM

Re: 2014 GCs that have steering shimmy over 60MPH
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shewstring (Post 878234)
I know a number of members have commented in various threads about having the shimmy at speeds over 65MPH. Trying to get a sense if you have it if there is any commonality in level of vehicle (ie. power telescope column, 20" wheels)

Took mine into service this past wednesday had 1 wheel out of balance also put upper end weights svce mgr said it may even be the tire itself and rim had it out once over 60 no shimmy, will be taking it out later to see if its good I have overland with 20in tires hope this helps a few members here that have been going back a few time with issue make sure they redo weights

shewstring 08-18-2013 12:48 PM

Re: 2014 GCs that have steering shimmy over 60MPH
 
RoadMaster, great to hear your issue appears to be resolved. They swapped 3 different sets of wheels/tires on mine, rebalanced everything 2 times (they took the vehicle to different tire place to verify the balance - they actually achieved a zero road force balance on 2 of the 4 wheel/tires). So far, everything to no avail.

GRB1 08-18-2013 01:36 PM

Re: 2014 GCs that have steering shimmy over 60MPH
 
Ok, so call me crazy, but here's what mine has been like. It's a 2014 JC Limited with 20" wheels. The shimmy was not present at any speed up to about 90 mph when I first got it. At about 400 miles, the shimmy developed from about 60 to 70 mph. Below 60 or above 70, no issues. At approximately 1100 miles, the shimmy significantly diminished. At approximately 1500 miles, it has virtually disappeared. Tire wear in? Suspension wear in? What?

NEWJEEP14 08-18-2013 05:48 PM

I had a similar issue with some vibration at between 60 and 70 mph.

NEWJEEP14 08-18-2013 05:48 PM

I had a similar issue with some vibration at between 60 and 70 mph. At about 1100 miles it vanished. Now at 1600 and no more vibration. I suspect it was the tires breaking in or wearing themselves round.

Roadmaster45 08-18-2013 07:34 PM

Re: 2014 GCs that have steering shimmy over 60MPH
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shewstring (Post 878252)
RoadMaster, great to hear your issue appears to be resolved. They swapped 3 different sets of wheels/tires on mine, rebalanced everything 2 times (they took the vehicle to different tire place to verify the balance - they actually achieved a zero road force balance on 2 of the 4 wheel/tires). So far, everything to no avail.

Good news shewstring, at least that is an issue hopefully resolved just keep a watch on this and follow thru other members here are saying after 1100 miles problem seems to have corrected itself, just turned 1100 on my overland so lets all hope for the best. Good luck to ya

shewstring 08-18-2013 10:46 PM

Re: 2014 GCs that have steering shimmy over 60MPH
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadmaster45 (Post 878424)
Good news shewstring, at least that is an issue hopefully resolved just keep a watch on this and follow thru other members here are saying after 1100 miles problem seems to have corrected itself, just turned 1100 on my overland so lets all hope for the best. Good luck to ya

I was hoping the multiple balances and such would have addressed mine, unfortunately, at 3400 miles, mine is still shimmy strong - thought she'd be tired by now :). Seems the votes are all shimmy on the V6, the V8 does have different steering components. I'm glad for most folks this issue seems to have vanished on its own.

GCLimited 08-19-2013 07:04 AM

Re: 2014 GCs that have steering shimmy over 60MPH
 
My steering wheel has a slight vibration between 65 and 75 mph...had it since new. I plan on having the dealership re-balance the wheels when I go in for my first oil change.

I have 20" wheels, and the V6.

JeepGator 08-19-2013 08:54 AM

Re: 2014 GCs that have steering shimmy over 60MPH
 
My vibration was felt both in the steering wheel and seat/floor. The dealer has been able to get rid of the one in the steering wheel by replacing tires. Now I just have the one in the seat/floor.

jeep5.7 08-19-2013 11:57 AM

Re: 2014 GCs that have steering shimmy over 60MPH
 
I have the v-6 with 17"wheels,took it to my dealer and they replaced both rims and tires,gone now

GCLimited 08-19-2013 12:22 PM

Re: 2014 GCs that have steering shimmy over 60MPH
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep5.7 (Post 878802)
I have the v-6 with 17" wheels,took it to my dealer and they replaced both rims and tires,gone now

Do you mean 18" wheels?


:confused:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community