Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Members Rides-Showoff (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/)
-   -   New Black Overland with Mods (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/new-black-overland-with-mods-64315.html)

Tgreen839 08-18-2013 09:59 PM

New Black Overland with Mods

First off, I want to thank all the members for their contributions to this forum. I have been regularly monitoring this site for the past year knowing I would eventually have a WK2 of my own. I got a lot of good ideas and finally got to put some in action. Link to pics below

Picked up my 2011 new-to-me Overland a week ago and couldn't be happier. She is perfectly clean with 30K miles, fresh oil, and brand new spark plugs :D

First thing I did was purchase the SRT8 Vapor grill and brought it to the dealership when I went to pick up the car. They switched it out at no cost. I also got the rear brow in brilliant black and switched it out with the chrome. I ordered the version w/o the camera and pried the face plate from the mounting bracket and snapped it in to the original mount on my tailgate. This was the quickest and simplest mod I have done. The whole thing took less than 10 min. I now have a chrome Overland grill and chrome rear brow for sale.

Next came the fun stuff. I took off the side chrome mouldings and hood decal and replaced both with black lettering. Very happy with the result of both. I spent 4 hours this morning clay barring and waxing, and it is shining like a brand new ride. The previous owner put the window visors on. I was not a fan at first, but they are starting to grow on me little by little. Not sure what I will end up doing with those. Opinions welcome

Black rims and off-road tires are most likely next, but that will probably wait until the fall. I am getting ready to take it on a 10hr road trip to VA / OBX next weekend, so I will stick with the OEM for now.

Check out the pics here: https://picasaweb.google.com/117430602143971612276/WK2#

aedubber 08-19-2013 08:37 AM

Re: New Black Overland with Mods

Looks great ! I was looking into the Vapor grill myself but wasnt sure how it would come out but it def looks nice . Your suv looks similar to mine ! Ill have to get some pix up eventually . Personally i would ditch the window visor things but thats just me .

The Jeep emblem in the front , is that held in but any screws or just the typical 3m double sided tape ? Thanks !

Vivid 08-19-2013 09:27 AM

Looks nice. Now you just have to take off all that free car dealer advertising you are driving around with.

fishe 08-19-2013 11:02 AM

nice job, I think it would look better with some black rims

Tgreen839 08-19-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aedubber (Post 878688)
Looks great ! I was looking into the Vapor grill myself but wasnt sure how it would come out but it def looks nice . Your suv looks similar to mine ! Ill have to get some pix up eventually . Personally i would ditch the window visor things but thats just me .

The Jeep emblem in the front , is that held in but any screws or just the typical 3m double sided tape ? Thanks !

Took the window visors off tonight. I am leaving a little chrome with the window trim and door handles, and removing the visors cleaned the look up a little.

All emblems / badges are just held on with adhesive on the WK2. On the hood I left a faint outline of the adhesive behind to use as a stencil to ensure I got the lettering exactly where it was supposed to be

Tgreen839 08-19-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivid (Post 878704)
Looks nice. Now you just have to take off all that free car dealer advertising you are driving around with.

I did that the second after I took the picture!

Probably should have reversed that order. I got a little excited about the look of the new back end

jgc4ever 08-20-2013 06:43 PM

Looks great! I did all of these changes to mine too, except I added chrome letters on the doors, and I replaced the chrome mirror caps with brilliant black mirror caps.

Ls9999 08-20-2013 11:09 PM

Was the SRT grill was a direct swap without having to modify anything? I was under the impression that a body shop would have to make some modifications to make it fit on non-SRTs.

JeepGCOverland 08-20-2013 11:16 PM

Looking good! :thumbsup:

Tgreen839 08-21-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ls9999 (Post 879703)
Was the SRT grill was a direct swap without having to modify anything? I was under the impression that a body shop would have to make some modifications to make it fit on non-SRTs.

It is an easy swap. All grills for '11-'13 WK2s have the same dims