Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Alternative to OEM Roof Cross Rails (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/alternative-to-oem-roof-cross-rails-64324.html)

mswlogo 08-19-2013 10:07 AM

Alternative to OEM Roof Cross Rails
 
I went to pickup some cross rails for my new GC and was shocked how ugly, 1980's they look. My 2002 GC had more sleek looking cross rails.

Does anyone make something a more sleek.

In particular I don't like seeing the rail sticking out beyond the mount.

They are also quite high.

bigben733 08-19-2013 02:48 PM

Re: Alternative to OEM Roof Cross Rails
 
thule whisp bar- quite pricey though

mfa81 08-19-2013 05:29 PM

thule aeroblades also are good ones

weck 08-19-2013 05:48 PM

Re: Alternative to OEM Roof Cross Rails
 
From all the research I've done, I've come across several sources that say the mopar ones ARE Thule. Seeing as you can find them @ $220 online, I'm planning on just removing them when not needed. That's a big price jump to get into anything lower profile and then you need to consider antenna and hatch spoiler clearance... Just my 2 cents.

mswlogo 08-19-2013 09:23 PM

Re: Alternative to OEM Roof Cross Rails
 
Good point on Antenna. Ugh.

mfa81 08-19-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weck (Post 879008)
From all the research I've done, I've come across several sources that say the mopar ones ARE Thule. Seeing as you can find them @ $220 online, I'm planning on just removing them when not needed. That's a big price jump to get into anything lower profile and then you need to consider antenna and hatch spoiler clearance... Just my 2 cents.

antenna and hatch spoiler won't be a problem because of where the flush rails will allow you to place the bars they won't get in the way. they might become a problem depending on what you are gonna place on top of the bars, but then that doesn't depend on the bar

barnettdlb 08-20-2013 06:56 PM

Re: Alternative to OEM Roof Cross Rails
 
Yakima Whisper Bars... might be a look you are after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p-L5y_sMRs

If the link doesn't work... go to youtube.com and type Yakima whisperbars grand Cherokee... etrailer has a good installation video

mceb 08-21-2013 05:52 AM

Both Thule and Yakima have aero bar type cross bars which are sleek. Can also go with square or round bars and low profile tower for less $ than aero type.

Mendo 08-21-2013 06:32 AM

Re: Alternative to OEM Roof Cross Rails
 
I Have the Thule whispbar. I think the cross bars on the OEM are Thule. However the feet are different. The OEM feet have a higher load rating than the Thule feet. The Thule feet are a lot lower profile and thinner.

mswlogo 08-21-2013 10:26 PM

Re: Alternative to OEM Roof Cross Rails
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfa81 (Post 879196)
antenna and hatch spoiler won't be a problem because of where the flush rails will allow you to place the bars they won't get in the way. they might become a problem depending on what you are gonna place on top of the bars, but then that doesn't depend on the bar

Sure it does. A higher bar will allow you more flexibility of what and where you put stuff on top. Every once in a while I need to grab a 4x8 sheet of something and any rail below the antenna will be a big problem.

I'm not putting skies up there.

mfa81 08-21-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 880264)

Sure it does. A higher bar will allow you more flexibility of what and where you put stuff on top. Every once in a while I need to grab a 4x8 sheet of something and any rail below the antenna will be a big problem.

I'm not putting skies up there.

I see what you say now!

weck 09-04-2013 07:59 PM

Re: Alternative to OEM Roof Cross Rails
 
1 Attachment(s)
Factory bars with Thule evolution 1600 leaves only about an inch and a half clearance to the shark fin antenna. Also, with the front bar as far forward as it will go, it just clears the hatch spoiler by only a couple of inches as well when open. I don't think you want to go lower if you are planning to ever use a larger cargo carrier.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community