Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Front Driveshaft Noise**HELP* (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/front-driveshaft-noise-help-64335.html)

GratefulDeadWK 08-19-2013 01:05 PM

Front Driveshaft Noise**HELP*

For the past 2 weeks I've been getting a very odd and irritating noise from the front end of me Jeep. The noise occurs only when under load and is present from slow speeds to higher speeds. I've checked my front axles and they look fine. I'm thinking the noise is comming from the back end of the front driveshaft, where it meets the transfer case.

The driveshaft seems to be position down in the rubber boot and is not centered. Does this sound familiar and can anyone please post a picture of the NV140 transfer case where the driveshaft meets it? I been hoping whatever is causing the noise would break and help me narrow my search down, this of course has not happend. Going to be putting it up in the air later today and a picture of the NV140 from a basic 05-07 WK 3.7 would def help esp showing the front driveshaft going into the transfer case.

This noise is not a little click here and there its a very obtrusive ratcheting sound, any help would go a long way. I've also looked at the front dif mounts and they look ok, tranny is shifting normally and turning the wheel doesn't change the noise, it happens in straight lines turns, etc. The only time you can not hear it is 60+ mph at highway speeds.

Thanks! :)

GratefulDeadWK 08-19-2013 08:27 PM

Re: Front Driveshaft Noise**HELP*

bump anyone>

GratefulDeadWK 08-21-2013 01:29 PM

Turns out to be 2 things. 1. the front diff mount furthest from the front of the jeep is torn, this unfor is the hardest one to replace and will require dropping the front diff. Also the majority of my road noises were comming from a torn boot around the front driveshaft where it meets the transfer case. The boot wore away and the bearings became rusty, etc.

tomk 08-21-2013 05:39 PM

I just had a new front prop shaft put in my '07. Took many weeks to get it, which MAY mean there are starting to be issues with them.. I did not have any torn boots or such however.

GratefulDeadWK 08-22-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomk (Post 880115)
I just had a new front prop shaft put in my '07. Took many weeks to get it, which MAY mean there are starting to be issues with them.. I did not have any torn boots or such however.

The front prop shaft is OK its the boot on the end of it where it meets the transfer case that is messed up. Did you do the work yourslef?

tomk 08-22-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GratefulDeadWK (Post 880430)
The front prop shaft is OK its the boot on the end of it where it meets the transfer case that is messed up. Did you do the work yourslef?

no, had the dealer do it under the lifetime powertrain warranty..

GratefulDeadWK 08-22-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomk (Post 880459)
no, had the dealer do it under the lifetime powertrain warranty..

hmm I have 167K+ think I can still get this covered?