Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Instrument Cluster Went Nuts!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/instrument-cluster-went-nuts-64344.html)

Dave in Pa 08-19-2013 04:38 PM

Instrument Cluster Went Nuts!!

Up till today @ 5,591 miles I have not had one hiccup on my limited, nothing at all; even the 8 speed has not been too bad. Went to come home from work and after starting the ABS light, passenger seatbelt light, traction control light, parking brake light, and check engine light ALL stayed on! Shut-off & re-started it 3 times to no avail and drove home. No speedo either in digital or circle guage, does not work, only the tachometer and turn signals seem to work. Called the dealer and cannot look at it till Wednesday morning. I thought I had a keeper!Anyone else experience this particular problem? Very heartbroken. :( Dave

greenwayer 08-19-2013 04:45 PM

Re: Instrument Cluster Went Nuts!!

Some times a loose ground battery cable can do this. I would check that first. Hope I could help.

bill_de 08-19-2013 05:08 PM

It's very common and no big deal. the lights will go out after a few starts with the exception of the mil ... it will take a couple more starts to go out. Everything will be working normally.

They have been aware of it for a while.

Mine happened at around 1,000 miles and they changed the pcm ... good since to 4,000 miles. For some they change the abs module.

Really, don't be too concerned.

---

Dave in Pa 08-19-2013 05:20 PM

Thanks for the info Bill, I feel better already that they will be able to deal with it. Hopefully will get the trans. flashed/updated at the same time. Thanks a lot! Dave

bill_de 08-19-2013 05:36 PM

For more reading on the Christmas tree dash;

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

---

lstowell 08-19-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenwayer (Post 878970)
Some times a loose ground battery cable can do this. I would check that first. Hope I could help.

There's allegedly a cable connector down just on the passenger side of where the transmission tunnel meets the dash, and there should be a service bulletin.

When you restart, was this right away, or did you wait until every indicator including the ones for the media plugins had gone dark?

bertball50 08-19-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave in Pa (Post 878956)
Up till today @ 5,591 miles I have not had one hiccup on my limited, nothing at all; even the 8 speed has not been too bad. Went to come home from work and after starting the ABS light, passenger seatbelt light, traction control light, parking brake light, and check engine light ALL stayed on! Shut-off & re-started it 3 times to no avail and drove home. No speedo either in digital or circle guage, does not work, only the tachometer and turn signals seem to work. Called the dealer and cannot look at it till Wednesday morning. I thought I had a keeper!Anyone else experience this particular problem? Very heartbroken. :( Dave

I had all of those. It was a bad ground that needed to be replaced below the TIPM on the rail.

Dave in Pa 08-19-2013 07:14 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone, I made some notes to give to the service manager. I am pretty sure I waited for everything to go "dark" before I re-started but no luck. I will be curious tomorrow morning when I go to work what happens. Bill De has alleviated my "un-fixable" fear!! Dave

bill_de 08-19-2013 07:41 PM

Dave,

For whatever reason, according to documentation from uConnect, the Jeep does not totally shut off until you open and close the door. This was in the instructions for doing the software updates. So, unless you opened the door, the system may not have recognized your restarting the vehicle three times as restarting the system.

Good luck in the morning.

---

AGRADELEOUS 08-20-2013 05:05 PM

Yeah, mine happened with about 300 miles or less on the car. I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery for 5-10 mins. It reset and hasn't happened again so far. 3300 miles on her now.

Yeti 10-04-2013 11:39 AM

Mine did this yesterday, :-(

mswlogo 10-04-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeti (Post 904074)
Mine did this yesterday, :-(

There is a recall for this problem. The TSB is not released yet.

Some have had it fixed with a new ABS Unit. The Recall is using a software only fix.

Search other threads with "Xmas tree" (ss in dash board lights up like one).