Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Help w/ rear passenger doors stuck shut (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/help-w-rear-passenger-doors-stuck-shut-64346.html)

nAGLFAR 08-19-2013 04:43 PM

Help w/ rear passenger doors stuck shut

Hello,
I recently purchased a 2004 GC w/ a few issues one of which is both rear passenger doors are both stuck shut. I have already removed the door panels and fiddled around with the medal rods that operate the handle and lock.

My question is - How would i go about getting the door open to repair/replace the lock mechanism?

Frango100 08-19-2013 08:48 PM

Re: Help w/ rear passenger doors stuck shut

I heard about this for one door only, but two rear doors at the same time not yet. Maybe the child lock is activated and the door can only be opened from the outside. Did you try using the outside lever rod to unlatch the door?

nAGLFAR 08-20-2013 03:31 AM

Not sure about the child locks because i cant get to the mechanism except through the inside of the door. I have attempted to take the door off the hinges but the door latch is stuck on the lock pin thats attached to the body.

Any info on what others have had to go through would be very helpful. When i get home from work this afternoon im gonna try a cutting wheel and open up the lock mech. form the inside(back of mech.) if i cant think of a better idea.

kennzz05 08-20-2013 04:53 AM

you didnt mention where youre located but were it me id go to a body shop and let them give it a try seems more logical than cutting shit up

have you tried saturating all the lock mech. with penatrating oil

TJXJWJ 08-20-2013 08:38 AM

Honestly, I'd consider welding the 2 front door shut and just "Dukes of Hazzard" it from now on.

I would imagine you've tried everything by now, but I think it's worth double checking the connecting rod for the outside door handle in case it is the kid locks.

Another shot in the dark might be to see if you can access the back of the bolts that hold the strike on the body and maybe cut them flush and drill them out. Then you're just replacing bolts which would be less expensive then mechanisms. I'm not sure if that's accessible from the rear wheel well or not. I doubt it, but it's worth a look.

nAGLFAR 08-20-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennzz05 (Post 879231)
you didnt mention where youre located but were it me id go to a body shop and let them give it a try seems more logical than cutting shit up

have you tried saturating all the lock mech. with penatrating oil

I agree just cutting shit up probably isnt the best idea and yes i have been spraying them in the morning before i take off for work in the hopes of by the time i get home what ever is stuck wont be. As for my location im in Upstate NY just outside Albany.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 879301)
Honestly, I'd consider welding the 2 front door shut and just "Dukes of Hazzard" it from now on.

Rofl
Quote:

I would imagine you've tried everything by now, but I think it's worth double checking the connecting rod for the outside door handle in case it is the kid locks.

The passenger side rear outside door handle moves with ease unlike the rear driverside.
Quote:

Another shot in the dark might be to see if you can access the back of the bolts that hold the strike on the body and maybe cut them flush and drill them out. Then you're just replacing bolts which would be less expensive then mechanisms. I'm not sure if that's accessible from the rear wheel well or not. I doubt it, but it's worth a look.

This seems to be my best bet definitely better than just hacking away.
- thanx for the info and i will post back here again with what i had to do to get this resolved.

TJXJWJ 08-20-2013 07:57 PM

Good luck! That's a new one....

cheapjeep 08-20-2013 11:18 PM

Both doors and the outside handles won't work? Man that sounds like a power lock problem to me. The outside handles will open the door no mater if the child locks are on or not unless they're locked.I'd recheck the rod going to the lock actuators. Also try unlocking your driver door with the key.

nAGLFAR 08-21-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheapjeep (Post 879708)
Both doors and the outside handles won't work?

-- yup and nope
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheapjeep (Post 879708)
Man that sounds like a power lock problem to me. The outside handles will open the door no mater if the child locks are on or not unless they're locked.I'd recheck the rod going to the lock actuators. Also try unlocking your driver door with the key.

-- When i use the power lock switch the "Lock Rod" moves and the actuator is burnt out on the driver door so i can only open it w/ a key.