Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   MIL light? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/mil-light-64348.html)

StaticFX 08-19-2013 05:00 PM

MIL light?

Can the malfunction indicator light come on if you are low on gas?? Mine came on, was low on gas.... Filled up stayed on still for the short trip around the corner, then on the next start it was gone.

weck 08-19-2013 08:50 PM

Re: MIL light?

How low? I ran mine down to nothing showing for range, no mil.

padgett 08-19-2013 09:59 PM

Have to know what the error code is to tell what may have happened. If the MIL light was or is on, there is at least one set.

2011Laredo 08-28-2013 05:28 PM

Just picked up my 2014 limited and as soon as I got home the light went on....figures...lol

lstowell 08-28-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StaticFX (Post 878977)
Can the malfunction indicator light come on if you are low on gas?? Mine came on, was low on gas.... Filled up stayed on still for the short trip around the corner, then on the next start it was gone.

As long as it is on solid, it is probably nothing to worry about.
When it flashes, best to call a dealer.

There is an EVAP code it can set that is bogus and has a TSB
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - Grand Cherokee Service Bulletins and Recalls

I've hit it twice, it will go away if you reset the fault with a cheap OBD or just a couple of start stop cycles.

bill_de 08-28-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StaticFX (Post 878977)

Low fuel should not trigger a malfunction light.

Whatever the malfunction, if it is no longer present the light will go out after a few shutdown/restart cycles. The codes will be stored for your next service visit.

---

StaticFX 09-28-2013 07:55 PM

The light is back and has not gone off yet (6 hrs). So I guess it's time for a trip to the dealer.

bill_de 09-28-2013 08:27 PM

Time has nothing to do with it. If there is a temporary fault that no longer exists, the light will go off after a number (not sure the exact number) of starts. But, even if it goes out I would stop by the dealer, or other shop, and ask them to retrieve the codes that should be stored.

Good Luck.

---

padgett 09-28-2013 10:04 PM

It seems to me that with a $50k car, investing $25 to be able to read trouble codes and engine parameters on your smart phone is a no braner.

bill_de 09-28-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 901101)
It seems to me that with a $50k car, investing $25 to be able to read trouble codes and engine parameters on your smart phone is a no braner.

On the other hand, I bought a new vehicle with a warranty so somebody else can deal with the problems. If the car actually breaks down I'll use a phone to tell them where to pick it up. ;)

---

StaticFX 10-06-2013 07:08 PM

MIL light?

Lol yeah

Ok it's on again, and again, I'm low on gas. This is too much of a coincidence.

padgett 10-06-2013 10:18 PM

Without the code just go to the dealer, I can't help you.