Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Front Suspension Groan/Creak (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/front-suspension-groan-creak-64417.html)

MDBJGC 08-21-2013 09:03 AM

Front Suspension Groan/Creak

3 Attachment(s)
I have a 2011 Overland Summit with QL with 31,000 miles. About 1 month ago I noticed that I get a groan/creaking sound from the right front suspension area when I am making a slow, hard right hand turn such as in a parking space. I scheduled an appointment for service. Both sides were groaning/creaking by next weeks service appointment. I dropped it off for the 3rd time this morning to try to get the problem resolved. I have added video clips that include the sound. You'll need to turn the volume up to hear the groan/creak.

The 1st attempt included replacing front sway bars & bushings. That didn't solve the problem.

The 2nd attempt included re-torquing the cradle bolts on the front suspension. That didn't solve the problem either.

I dropped the Jeep off this morning for a third attempt at resolving the groan/creak in the front suspension. Hopefully they'll get the problem resolved. At least the dealer is paying for a rental this time so I don't have to borrow friends' vehicles and bum rides from coworkers.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? :(

rortiz25 08-21-2013 11:29 AM

I think I had the same issue with my 2012 limited. Every time I made a u-turn, the front right would creak. Took it to the dealer and they replace the front right control arm. That took care of the issue. Now the front left side is starting to do the thing when making slow turns, like pulling into a driveway.

MDBJGC 08-21-2013 12:49 PM

Re: Front Suspension Groan/Creak

I think you're right. I was reading your reply when the dealer called and said the lower control arm on both the left and right side need to be replaced. Parts will be in next Tuesday.

MDBJGC 08-28-2013 09:49 PM

They replaced the lower control arms on both sides. The groan/creak when making a slow sharp turn has been resolved. However, they called before I picked it up and said the discovered a sound coming from the rear suspension during the test drive after the repair. Now they have to replace the rear struts and mounts. They called to check on the availability of parts. The parts are back-ordered and I'm #60 in line. I guess there's some type of "known" issue with that as well.

The only problems I've had with the JGC are suspension related. The first one was a faulty compressor with the quadra lift...now this. Both trips have required multiple trips to the shop to get repaired. That's a little frustrating.

FHLH 11-13-2014 03:00 PM

OLD Topic, but these videos are a huge help in diagnosing my issues. I searched JeepGarage for 'suspension groan'and this is the best post I can find that matches my issue... My 2014 w/ QL sounds JUST like this. If bumping this back up for others helps then my work is done here :)

I've sent the link to my service manager in hopes they can fix this. Can't stand this sound.:mad: