Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   Performance Upgrade Options (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/performance-upgrade-options-6443.html)

GCL06 02-10-2010 09:12 PM

Performance Upgrade Options

Myself and I'm sure many others are always looking for ways to boost the power and efficiency of our Jeeps. I think it may be helpful to have a list - sorted by engine - for available upgrades that have proven themselves to work. If this works out well enough, maybe a mod will want to sticky it.

I'm only familiar with my 3.7 so if others would comment on additional options it would be greatly appreciated :D

Basics
- No single mod involving air flow will make that big of a difference alone. A CAI can suck in more air, but if it all gets bottle necked going through a stock throttle body or muffler, the gains will be minimal.

- The more aggressive the tire tread, the worse the mileage. In addition low tire pressure will cause poor efficiency.

3.7L
- Cold air intake - K&N, Airaid, (please comment with other brands) and the option of building your own PVC intake. Most brand name intakes will run $180-$300. I built my PVC intake for about $50.

- High flow muffler - plenty of options out there, just depends on what sound you like.

- Ported/Polished Throttle Body - Flyin'Ryan is a vendor here who does this work.

- Power Wire - said to show some improvements on 3.7s. Tricks the IAT into thinking it's 20 cooler, causing the engine to run more efficiently. Very cheap mod at $55 from Airram.

- Cat back systems with wider exhaust pipes allow for more air flow and less restriction. (additional info plz)

4.7L
- Cold air intake - K&N, Airaid, (please comment with other brands) and the option of building your own PVC intake. Most brand name intakes will run $180-$300. I built my PVC intake for about $50.

- High flow muffler - plenty of options out there, just depends on what sound you like.

- Ported/Polished Throttle Body - Flyin'Ryan is a vendor here who does this work.

- Cat back systems with wider exhaust pipes allow for more air flow and less restriction. (additional info plz)

- Power Wire - doesn't show quite the same level of improvements (or so I hear) as the 3.7, but every bit helps!

- Tuners - Superchips, Diablo (others? details?)

Have some things to get done tonight (gotta love homework :sleepy:) but this will have to do for now. I'll add in anyone else's info and post some helpful links later.

Scottina06 02-10-2010 09:33 PM

Re: Performance Upgrade Options

sorry bro.....but we have huge threads for all 3 engines.

and a high flowe muffler adds 0 performance....only sound

GCL06 02-10-2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 148762)
sorry bro.....but we have huge threads for all 3 engines.

Oops, my bad. Delete please? :o

Scottina06 02-10-2010 10:17 PM

no its good...I just dont want a new member to see this thread and stop searching. Know what i mean?

GCL06 02-10-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 148812)
no its good...I just dont want a new member to see this thread and stop searching. Know what i mean?

Ah I gotcha

FlyinRyan 02-10-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 148762)

Generally speaking that usually isn't true. Its not the biggest restriction in the exhaust however

Scottina06 02-10-2010 11:41 PM

well....I have yet to see anyone show any proof of adding a muffler and increasing performance. Until then....IMO...it adds 0

DJ BoNiOmArIo 02-10-2010 11:43 PM

I never understood adding a muffler to be honest ... just get a full cat back to have better flow and make it breathe better ... granted the ones out there for the 3.7 are only 2.5 but having a stainless steel exhaust setup full with the muffler having an aftermarket design would flow better ... just IMHO

FlyinRyan 02-10-2010 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 148894)
well....I have yet to see anyone show any proof of adding a muffler and increasing performance. Until then....IMO...it adds 0

Define proof.

FlyinRyan 02-10-2010 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boniomario (Post 148900)
I never understood adding a muffler to be honest ... just get a full cat back to have better flow and make it breathe better ... granted the ones out there for the 3.7 are only 2.5 but having a stainless steel exhaust setup full with the muffler having an aftermarket design would flow better ... just IMHO

Well, if you have the right size piping, and it's already mandrel bent, then adding a muffler is appropriate. OEM exhaust is also stainless (just a different grade). If it isn't the right size....well, it's a different story.

I went to a stock exhaust, then to a high flow 3rd cat, then to a Magnaflow 5x8x18 into stock tailpipe, then to a 3" system, to the system I have now... I did feel a gain even from adding a cat to a stock muffler, as well as the Magnaflow 5x8x18. Subtle? sure, but it helped.

I went from a already high flow 2.5" system to a 3" system and saw leaner indications at WOT on my wideband (a half point). I also have track-proven results of my times dropping going to a 3" system in comparison to the 2.5".

DJ BoNiOmArIo 02-11-2010 12:02 AM

hmm interesting ... although in English would have helped :D

but generally speaking if u r going to mess with the exhaust why not get the whole setup ? Instead of having to cut and weld and cut some more and weld some more ...

Scottina06 02-11-2010 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleepy4.7 (Post 148906)
Well, if you have the right size piping, and it's already mandrel bent, then adding a muffler is appropriate. OEM exhaust is also stainless (just a different grade). If it isn't the right size....well, it's a different story.

I went to a stock exhaust, then to a high flow 3rd cat, then to a Magnaflow 5x8x18 into stock tailpipe, then to a 3" system, to the system I have now... I did feel a gain even from adding a cat to a stock muffler, as well as the Magnaflow 5x8x18. Subtle? sure, but it helped.

I went from a already high flow 2.5" system to a 3" system and saw leaner indications at WOT on my wideband (a half point). I also have track-proven results of my times dropping going to a 3" system in comparison to the 2.5".

I see what your saying....BUT....adding a muffler to a stock exhaust with no other mods is what were talkin here. Does adding a muffler to a completely stock Jeep....or any car/truck/suv for that matter...add any hp?