Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Huge Problem - Jeep only moves in Low (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/huge-problem-jeep-only-moves-in-low-6450.html)

Devilsmed98 02-11-2010 12:57 AM

Huge Problem - Jeep only moves in Low

Okay here's the situation: I'm parked in about 15 inches of wet snow. I turn the car on, hit the gas slowly my car starts to inch forward and BAM! Huge clunking noise, my Jeep rolls back into it's spot. I put it into drive, wheels don't spin. I put it into reverse, wheels still don't spin. I then proceed to dig out under the car and inspect everything. I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH CARS OR THERE PARTS. I see what I'm guessing is an axle going to the rear, and as far as I can see a short one going to the front. In between these two is a box, which I am guessing is the transfer case. I have my friend put the car in drive which moves a little tiny arm on the side of the box, still no movement, then reverse, which moves the arm again. Still no movement.

I then try 4wd low. I put it in reverse, movement from rear tires only. I put it in drive, movement from rear tires only and I'm still stuck. Finally an hour later my friend comes with his F350, yanks me out. I drive a mile home in 4wd low going 15mph, still rear wheels only.

Can anyone tell me what this looks like to them? Any help would be appreciate. My guess is that I blew the transfer case? I don't know if that's even possible? Any help/advice/repair estimates/experiences are appreciated as I have no clue how to explain this to my parents.

Thanks in advance, Frank.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 02-11-2010 01:01 AM

Re: Huge Problem - Jeep only moves in Low

Welcome Frank what year and model Jeep you got lets start there and let the rest of the members chime in ... welcome by the way :D

Devilsmed98 02-11-2010 01:03 AM

Sorry, new forum forgot to enter all that stuff, I have a 2007 4.7 WK with Quadratrac II, thanks for the welcome just joined here looks like a pretty informative place with tons of posts.

Escape 02-11-2010 01:43 AM

Could be the governor solenoid pack inside the trans or the trans itself. Any codes? Best bet is to open her up and see whats going on in there.

Devilsmed98 02-11-2010 11:55 AM

No codes at all. My dad's flight comes in tonight, I'll see what he thinks it is.

Scottina06 02-11-2010 11:59 AM

I believe its def. beyond us finding the problem over the internet. I would find a good tranny shop. Look for recomendations from friends, your mechanic etc. I have never heard of a Jeep not moving in awd...but willl in 4lo. It almost doesn't sound like something mechanical...and more of a bad sensor or something.

Devilsmed98 02-11-2010 12:04 PM

Ya I am hoping that it is something small like that. I've been looking at replacement cases and they are like $1300 new around $800 used. It does sound pretty nasty tho when I shift so there is definitely something mechanical going on down there.

Scottina06 02-11-2010 12:11 PM

any parts you need...look on

www.car-part.com

Ijeep was quoted $2200 to replace his transfer case from a dealer. he bought the case on car-part.com for $135(no lie) and had it replaced for like $350

vvbob 02-11-2010 10:32 PM

Did they have the 100K warranty in 2007? If so the case should be covered.

robpp 02-11-2010 11:21 PM

07 would have lifetime but that is only good for the original owner. NOT TRANSFERABLE.

brent 02-12-2010 10:04 AM

Stupid question, but did you check your transmission fluid level?

Devilsmed98 02-13-2010 04:27 PM

Ya fluid levels are all good, me and my dad were gonna take the transfer case apart and see what the problem was but my mom decided to act alone, and buy a bumper to bumper warranty for $2200. The problem now is that they asked her if the car had any modifications and she forgot that I put on a aftermarket muffler. I'm hoping they won't find this as an excuse to void it since it has no direct relationship to the problem.