Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2014 UConnect (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-uconnect-64520.html)

Sh0rtBus 08-23-2013 10:35 AM

2014 UConnect

So I got an email from UConnect yesterday stating my trial access will expire Oct. 1, which I fully expected. In the email it also showed the pricing for access, which is $19.99/month. I don't know about anyone else, but I think that might be a little steep just to have access to the app that lets me use my smart phone (HTC ONE) to start my GC. Obviously none of the other apps associated with UConnect are live yet, so why pay that much just to have one added feature? I don't have NAV, so that rules that out.

What are your thoughts?

Also....lately....and more often than not....when I try to use the app to start my GC, it tells me "This operation could take up to null minutes. Would you like to proceed?" or something like that. Anyone have that issue?

GCLimited 08-23-2013 11:47 AM

Re: 2014 UConnect

IMO...UConnect is NOT worth that much a month, no way, no how. I think I've used UConnect twice since buying my Jeep in April 2013...and that was just to see if it works. Damn that site is slow!

The price Chrysler charges for WiFi is even MORE outrageous.

:fryingpan:

I don't think I'll even subscribe to Sirrus when my free trial is over since I only listen to a hand full of music stations during my daily 45 minute commute to work each way...unless I can get it for like $5.00 a month.

weck 08-23-2013 12:08 PM

The only things I tried that are uconnect cell based (and actually not vaporware) are the gas prices feature, the weather thing, traffic for the NAV, and Yelp of course.

Out of all of them, the traffic feed for the NAV is maybe the only thing I might actually want to keep, and I beleive that is SXM rather than uconnect.

The gas price finder is wrong 100% of the time, Yelp is slow and can't find a restaurant when I'm staring at it out the window, and the weather app is mostly useless since the smallest range is something like 500 miles.

If I can play the hold out game and get SXM for cheap enough, I might keep that. As far as uconnect, there is no way the cell connection is worth $20/month.

If I was the OP, I would push back that they owe you a free trial with all the promised and advertised apps actually being there before you would even consider paying for it...

Sh0rtBus 08-23-2013 12:46 PM

Oh, I've considered that. But they'd pretty much have to extend everyone's that has a 2014 with UConnect service until they get everything working. I do need to call them, though, and find out why I keep getting that message. Could be something to do with the dealership ripping the dash out to replace the A/C evaporator because it worked fine before then. Just need to get with UConnect to find out what's going on.

But there's no way I'm paying $20/mo to have access to one additional feature. I'll just use my keyfob. I can sit at my desk in the office and start my GC with the keyfob anyway.

Roki303 08-23-2013 05:53 PM

19.99 Is a rip off for what you get - basically worthless iphone app and "vehicle phone needs service" error. To be honest I think they actually should pay me for beta testing their system.

Yelp? Well for some reason I get tons of more hits when using my iphone app than the Uconnect app. Not sure if this is some different database or something.

I find NAV traffic, gas prices, weather helpful ... for 4.99 (I think that's the price) I think they are worth it. SXM I don't think I used once since I bought the car. Usually just stream pandora one.

jacko15 08-23-2013 08:04 PM

Uconnect Access might have some potential when it's fully developed, but it's definitely not yet ready for prime time.

Roki303 08-23-2013 08:23 PM

Are the apps still on track for early Sep release?

Supertech30 08-24-2013 12:25 AM

I would be willing to pay $100 a year if they get everything working but no more.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

not_too_shabby 08-24-2013 09:18 AM

I think the answer is no to all these questions

diagnose a check engine light

Call police if airbags deploy

Concierge type services

I think all they can do is unlock the doors for you. Not worth $20 a month

And the traffic takes 5 minutes to show up on Nav. Usually I need it before it updates.

Overland1 08-25-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus (Post 881148)
...But there's no way I'm paying $20/mo to have access to one additional feature. I'll just use my keyfob. I can sit at my desk in the office and start my GC with the keyfob anyway.

Agreed. Paying $240.00 annually is way out of line for what is provided. The UConnect folks must be smoking, drinking, snorting, and/or shooting some pretty good stuff. ;)

Remote starting the old fashioned way (with the keyless transmitter) works for me. If I want to do that, I start it from the third floor window facing the Jeep. By the time I walk down the stairs to to Jeep, it is ready to go. :)

Sh0rtBus 08-26-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overland1 (Post 882194)
Agreed. Paying $240.00 annually is way out of line for what is provided. The UConnect folks must be smoking, drinking, snorting, and/or shooting some pretty good stuff. ;)

Remote starting the old fashioned way (with the keyless transmitter) works for me. If I want to do that, I start it from the third floor window facing the Jeep. By the time I walk down the stairs to to Jeep, it is ready to go. :)

Yeah....I think I tested the distance pretty good Saturday. Was getting on a ferry in Galveston that afternoon and had to be at least 150 yards away and I hit the lock button just to see if it would reach.....worked like a champ!

Phone app is good for when you're leaving the mall and you want to confuse the valet. :D Don't get me wrong....it's a great feature....but certainly not worth $20/mo.

jacko15 08-26-2013 11:34 AM

Folks with more disposable income will think it's worth it just to have the latest and greatest, even if the functionality isn't worthwhile. Others will look at it as an unnecessary expense. I got three free months of OnStar and XM when I bought my Buick Enclave in 2007. When the free trial ran out I bailed. Good chance the same will happen with Access and Sirius/XM in the JGC. There are even more third party solutions for what they provide now. I have a huge, hand picked, music collection on an SD card that suits me fine. I can call 911 on my cellphone. There are things that won't be available to me without SAT radio and Access, but there is also a point of diminishing returns. It all turns into a personal decision.