Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Still can't decide: Overland or BMW X3 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/still-cant-decide-overland-or-bmw-x3-64543.html)

JWS360 08-23-2013 09:07 PM

Still can't decide: Overland or BMW X3

Talk about 2 totally different vehicles- after years of BMW driving I am pondering either a loaded X3 with the 3 liter engine (as in the 335xi) or a JGC V6 Overland. Gas mileage too crappy with the Hemi.

The spouse likes the Jeep, but I'm still not sure I can drive an SUV every single day. Our other vehicle is a Toyota Sienna. I love the 535xi, but just can't justify the money.

The X3 is almost as fast as my 335xi, but more comfortable and practical. The Overland is nice and soft and can go places the BMW fears to even look at, but I still fear quality and long term reliability as well as the lack of sportiness & ability to effortlessly pass the doddering. Wouldn't have either without a warranty of sorts.

Sorry for the rambling. Looking to see if others faced a similar decision & if they're happy.

JeepGCOverland 08-23-2013 10:34 PM

Keep in mind that you are on a Jeep forum, so everybody who responds is going to tell you to get the Jeep.

Long story short, if you want a flashy, sporty, less rugged, and more feminine looking (in my opinion) vehicle that MAY (I am only saying "may" because the WK2 reliability is yet to be proven, and some people on the forum have had issues with their WK2s) be more reliable but is more expensive to fix when stuff breaks, go for the X3. If you want a more understated, off-road/all-weather capable, and rugged (in looks and the vehicle itself), and patriotic vehicle which will be cheaper to maintain, go for the Jeep.

Oh and one more thing to keep in mind: the BMW X3 was nominated as one of the "Worst Cars in the History of the World" on TopGear (UK) last Monday.

So, if you couldn't tell, my vote is for the Jeep. :)

Radknight 08-23-2013 11:49 PM

Re: Still can't decide: Overland or BMW X3

Contemplated the X3 myself very nice and hammers with the 3.0 turbodiesel. I just couldn't get around the size and pokeyness of it for what i wanted it for (and the price in Oz) and a lot if it seemed liked they just designed it to only be a smaller version of the X5 not a separate car in itself. Just my assessment as I've research the hell out of SUV's for the last couple of month before deciding on the SRT. All avenues pointed to the Grand Cherokee as best value for dollar and a more masculine vehicle without also being too posh or prissy.

Supertech30 08-24-2013 12:20 AM

My father and bother in law have BMW's and to call them reliable is very funny. My brother in law's 335i is on it's second set of turbos at $8000 a pop.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

YjagetaJeep 08-24-2013 01:03 AM

If you're looking at the X3, you owe it to yourself to test drive an Audi Q5 3.0....That will REALLY make you think about just what you want.

Radknight 08-24-2013 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supertech30 (Post 881493)
My father and bother in law have BMW's and to call them reliable is very funny. My brother in law's 335i is on it's second set of turbos at $8000 a pop.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I'm not sure where German cars got this reliability reputation from especially when you have Japanese cars to compare them to. It must have come from the '70s and '80s when they were compared to American cars built then but have come a far long way since.

YjagetaJeep 08-24-2013 02:35 AM

I think the pendulum has swung back...Audi and BMW are outclassing the major Japanese manufacturers these days. The quality is superb

YjagetaJeep 08-24-2013 02:37 AM

Besides...We're all pretty much talking Jeeps here...A European manufacturer!

j breeze 08-24-2013 06:52 AM

X3... Really? Unless you wear a dress or you wear your pants 2 sizes too small because you're trying to be "hip" you should never be seen in an X3. I personally went from a 328xi coupe to my jeep now and I couldn't be happier. Love it and it makes a perfect daily driver. Something special about driving an American jeep. Btw.. No way is an x3 almost as fast as a 335. Nothing against BMW.. They make great cars, besides repairs I had no complaints about her drive. Weird decision.. But I feel it's a no brainer. Jeep hands down.

Other points to other comments.. My gf recently got into a Lexus rx.. We test drove the audi q5.. I was shocked because I went into this pushing the Q5 for her.. Think it's a better looking car and its the younger cooler choice. But getting into the RX after the q5 I had no argument. I see now why every other woman on this earth chooses the RX. Really is the superior car.. Better seats.. Better ride quality .. Better everything except for looks. So if anyone out there .. Women of course.. Us men will stick with our American jeeps. I recommend test driving the rx before you sign for anything else.

Radknight 08-24-2013 07:08 AM

Have to agree with you there. I love the Lexus and would've kept with it if not for their center console and that outdated wavy design. Other than that - amazing SUV. The new spindle grill makes it look sooo much better than the previous design. Simple yet elegant without begin too posh. Also, Lexus service CRUSHES the competition so I'm a bit weary because I've heard 'things' about Jeep Service in Australia.

ernestd 08-24-2013 07:18 AM

BMW quality has really dropped over the last decade.I wouldn't touch one,its all flashy with no substance. Then,when you have a warranty repair,they tell you that their shop is so busy that you must leave your vehicle with them for several days before a technician can have a look at it.Buyer beware!

moosehead 08-24-2013 09:11 AM

Since your spouse likes the Jeep, be generous and let him get one. You can enjoy the Sienna.

Win, win.