Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Possible new Jeep owner worried about realibity (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/possible-new-jeep-owner-worried-about-realibity-64548.html)

dragon672 08-23-2013 11:43 PM

Possible new Jeep owner worried about realibity

In the next couple of weeks I plan on purchasing a brand new SUV. I have my heart set on a JGC but a little concerned after reading everything on here. The crossover I am getting rid of is a 2005 Chevy Equinox POS. I purchased it used with 34,000 and have replaced

shocks 3 times, had brake hoses issues,
blown head gaskets,
blown upper and lower manifold intake gaskets,
timing chain gasket cover,
3 left Front side wheel bearings, 1 on right side
Water pump, thermostat-2, ABS sensors too.

I hope the GJC doesn't have issues like this. I am actually torn on the simple issue of the back up camera. My dealer actually has the GJC that I want with the Quatra Track 2 system, but it has a sun roof. I'm afraid of leaks. I'm also a little leary of all the tech on this thing and worried with the Limited trim that I like it will have too much. I want the back up camera but concerned about all the extra stuff. Any suggestions or thoughts will be helpful.

jgc4ever 08-24-2013 12:31 AM

Re: Possible new Jeep owner worried about realibity

I have a 2012 Overland with 21,700 miles and no problems. The back-up camera is definitely worth having. My last G.C. was an '05 and the sunroof leaked...got a new sunroof under warranty and that fixed that Jeep.

Deception 08-24-2013 01:50 AM

2011 Jeep Overland Summit with 37,000 miles, no major issues, small squeaks but that's common with all new cars nowadays. I have a panoramic sunroof as well, no leaks either.

enjens 08-24-2013 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deception (Post 881509)
2011 Jeep Overland Summit with 37,000 miles, no major issues, small squeaks but that's common with all new cars nowadays. I have a panoramic sunroof as well, no leaks either.

2011 Limited, 53,000 klm, no problems,sun roof with no leaks.

denis4x4 08-24-2013 08:40 AM

While there is a tendency to check out owner forums in anticipation of a purchase, they are worth exactly what you're paying....nothing! Perhaps I'm not as picky as some posters here. I've had a Jeep product in my driveway for the past 28 years, most of them brand new and none of them lemons. I'm towing a 25' Airstream (6300 pounds) with my '13 Overland Summit without any issues. I'm a car guy with classics, sports cars and hot rods in the garages and quite frankly, the WK2 is the first new car I've really got excited about driving in a long time.

Either it works for you or it doesn't.

dragon672 08-24-2013 12:29 PM

Well I do have an old Willis Jeep sitting in my back yard rusting but other than that I've never owned anything besides GM. My mechanic; who is a GM person advised me to get a Jeep some of sort since he doesn't believe GM quality is as good as it once was. After my experiences with my Equinox I believe it.

I've always wanted a GJC so I'm excited to finally be able to purchase one but also a little worried about all the electronic stuff on the 2014's but as long as there's no blown head gaskets and stuff I think I'll be okay.

Scottina06 08-24-2013 01:02 PM

the Jeep engines are pretty bullet proof and been around awhile. Theres a few bugs with the 8.4an uconnect...but nothing that updates wont fix as they figure them out.

jacko15 08-24-2013 01:12 PM

My Overland has exceeded all of my expectations. :D :thumbsup:

Forest53 08-24-2013 03:00 PM

We took delivery of our 2014 Overland two weeks ago. The fit and finish are as good as anything I have owned including some much more expensive European automobiles. So far ( still under a thousand miles) their have been zero issues. The 8 speed transmission is as smooth as silk, the electronics have performed flawlessly and the the power and smoothness of the 6 cylinder has my wife all smiles and confirmed to me that for our purposes it is the perfect engine.

We are happy that we sprang for the advanced technology package. Our previous car had a wicked blind spot. Although the GC seems much better in that respect we love the fact that the electronic system is watching out for us as well or as my prefers to put it " our Grand Cherokee is making sure we don't hurt it"

We are very happy with our decision to buy a Grand Cherokee

pfp_az 08-24-2013 06:44 PM

I was recently in the same boat as you - shopping for a new SUV. I drove almost everything in the same class as the limited. I almost didn't even drive the Jeep because I didn't want to consider a Chrysler product (for reliability fears). I'm sure glad I did though as it was my clear favorite. But I still had the nagging fear of their reliability. In the end I decided to get it and also got the maxcare warranty to alleviate by reliability concerns. I'm still under 600 miles but absolutely loving it.

AAAA 08-24-2013 08:21 PM

Just under 37,000 miles and zero mechanical problems. Fit and finish are as good as an assembly line car could be.

dons2346 08-24-2013 11:06 PM

Can't say a lot about the new stuff as I just bought the '14 a month ago however our "00 GC had 165,000 driving plus 130,000 towing and the only problems were a throttle sensor and a rear door that wouldn't open from the outside.

The wife totaled out the "00 so I found a '99 GC and bought that.