Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   2014 GC Summit Bumper Flaw (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2014-gc-summit-bumper-flaw-64564.html)

Tabby 08-24-2013 01:44 PM

2014 GC Summit Bumper Flaw
 
3 Attachment(s)
I thought my new GC was near perfect except for having glitches with Uconnect. Well, I was removing bugs from the front bumper when I discovered this flaw. I sure hope there is an easy fix. My DH wants to take a look at it before I bring it back to the dealer. We bought it last Saturday (8/17). I thought we had looked it over pretty well, but somehow we missed this. :(

As you can see in the pics, the inner corner of the passenger side looks fine but the driver side isn't attached right. I hope y'all can see what I'm talking about from these pics. Any suggestions?

Bppierce2 08-24-2013 05:05 PM

Re: 2014 GC Summit Bumper Flaw
 
I recently had my driver side front wheel well cover replaced due to the 3M tape or glue coming loose while driving. It looked as if though it was falling off. Haven't noticed any other issues, but warranty replaced it.

Tabby 08-25-2013 08:19 AM

Re: 2014 GC Summit Bumper Flaw
 
I'm just torn on whether I should attempt to take it to the local Jeep dealer which is much closer to home or if it is necessary to take it back to the dealer that I bought it from. My DH says that the local dealer shouldn't give me any hassle about fixing it. I'll probably call them Monday morning to set up an appointment.

jeepman917 08-27-2013 07:43 PM

Re: 2014 GC Summit Bumper Flaw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tabby (Post 882103)
I'm just torn on whether I should attempt to take it to the local Jeep dealer which is much closer to home or if it is necessary to take it back to the dealer that I bought it from. My DH says that the local dealer shouldn't give me any hassle about fixing it. I'll probably call them Monday morning to set up an appointment.

Im pretty sure the dealers make money when doing warrantee work - I dont think you will have any issue at all.

Tabby 08-28-2013 07:27 AM

Re: 2014 GC Summit Bumper Flaw
 
Well, it turns out that the local dealer does not want me as a customer...EVER! As luck would have it, the bumper wasn't my only problem. I hit a pot hole and busted a tire on Sunday. :(

I brought it in to the local dealer first thing Monday morning. His demeanor changed once he noticed that the Jeep was bought at another dealer. He told me that they would not honor the tire & wheel protection plan that I had. I was almost speechless! I asked him if he expected me to drive 2 hours on my spare to get service. He said, "Yes, and while you are there you can get them to take a look at the bumper." :mad:

I called up the dealer where it was bought. They told me to head on over, and they would take care of it. I was told that if they didn't have the tire in stock they would take one off of one of the other Summits sitting on the lot. I went, and they put on a new tire and fixed the bumper. :D

All is well again, but I'll never forget the treatment I received at the local dealer. I'm sure the evil thoughts will diminish in time. :lol:

BTW, I called Safe-Guard about the tire plan and was told that it covers at any dealer, but it is up to each individual dealer on whether they will accept it. The local dealer apparently doesn't want my business now or in the future!

jeepman917 08-28-2013 11:19 AM

Re: 2014 GC Summit Bumper Flaw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tabby (Post 883799)
Well, it turns out that the local dealer does not want me as a customer...EVER! As luck would have it, the bumper wasn't my only problem. I hit a pot hole and busted a tire on Sunday. :(

I brought it in to the local dealer first thing Monday morning. His demeanor changed once he noticed that the Jeep was bought at another dealer. He told me that they would not honor the tire & wheel protection plan that I had. I was almost speechless! I asked him if he expected me to drive 2 hours on my spare to get service. He said, "Yes, and while you are there you can get them to take a look at the bumper." :mad:

I called up the dealer where it was bought. They told me to head on over, and they would take care of it. I was told that if they didn't have the tire in stock they would take one off of one of the other Summits sitting on the lot. I went, and they put on a new tire and fixed the bumper. :D

All is well again, but I'll never forget the treatment I received at the local dealer. I'm sure the evil thoughts will diminish in time. :lol:

BTW, I called Safe-Guard about the tire plan and was told that it covers at any dealer, but it is up to each individual dealer on whether they will accept it. The local dealer apparently doesn't want my business now or in the future!


thats absolutely terrible. If the dealer was smart he would work to earn your business for the next vehicle you purchase - instead hes now alienated you for life. Glad you got everything fixed! Just left my dealer with an issue they cannot seme to fix -- traction control light on - adaptive cruise not available and service 4 wheel drive system...

jrein 09-02-2013 03:16 PM

Re: 2014 GC Summit Bumper Flaw
 
Tabby- Sorry to hear about your experience with your local dealer. Like you, I bought mine out of town and later found my bumper wasn't installed properly. I took it to the closest Jeep dealer and they took care of it with no problems.

Peter_K 09-02-2013 06:26 PM

Re: 2014 GC Summit Bumper Flaw
 
The biggest issue was the tire plan. If a dealer isn't set up to handle the plan through that independent company, they are perfectly within being reasonable not to accept it. Expecting them to take it straight out is a bit like expecting them to honor any plan for anything out there. They may not have heard of the plan before, or they may have dealt with it before and been burned by it.

Now, I'm not sure how the exact conversation went down, but they SHOULD have offered to do the warranty work on the bumper/fascia, and simply suggested that you might want to take it to the original dealer or one that was set up to take your tire plan as it could be done all at once.

A lot of people assume that a dealer's service department goes cold on them as soon as they realize you didn't buy the vehicle from them. That's usually not the whole story. It usually has to do with some other factor, such as an expectation of a third party service plan being accepted, etc. Dealerships generally will go a little further (at least at first) for a customer that bought their car there (and for repeat customers--they track how much money you've spent with them), but they will also work not to alienate customers who bought the vehicle elsewhere. They want you to come back for service (they make most of their money through service and used cars, not new car sales), and potentially you might buy your NEXT car there if you have good experiences.

Tabby 09-02-2013 07:55 PM

I didn't get upset because they wouldn't accept that particular tire plan. I got upset because the service guy didn't even bother to ask what plan I had. For all he knew I could have had a plan that they sell/accept.

I have no doubt that I was denied service simply because the Jeep was purchased elsewhere. I've done a little research since it happened, and I discovered that others have had similar experiences with this dealer.

Willx 09-02-2013 08:00 PM

Re: 2014 GC Summit Bumper Flaw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tabby (Post 886592)
I didn't get upset because they wouldn't accept that particular tire plan. I got upset because the service guy didn't even bother to ask what plan I had. For all he knew I could have had a plan that they sell/accept.

I have no doubt that I was denied service simply because the Jeep was purchased elsewhere. I've done a little research since it happened, and I discovered that others have had similar experiences with this dealer.

I suggest you check your tire plan (call them directly usually will cover most places). On the dealer's behaviour towards you, write down everything exactly as that Dealer had said to you and contact Chrysler. That is simply unacceptable behaviour.

Peter_K 09-02-2013 08:10 PM

Re: 2014 GC Summit Bumper Flaw
 
Then I would agree with you, although it isn't as common as people tend to believe. At a minimum I would report the behavior to Chrysler corporate. Although people don't tend to believe this matters, it does. A large number of complaints about such behavior will get noticed and will go against that dealership.

Willx 09-02-2013 08:17 PM

Re: 2014 GC Summit Bumper Flaw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_K (Post 886600)
Then I would agree with you, although it isn't as common as people tend to believe. At a minimum I would report the behavior to Chrysler corporate. Although people don't tend to believe this matters, it does. A large number of complaints about such behavior will get noticed and will go against that dealership.

^^^^^ :thumbsup:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community