Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   SirusXM Cuts Out (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/sirusxm-cuts-out-64587.html)

dons2346 08-24-2013 11:13 PM

SirusXM Cuts Out

While listening to XM, the audio cuts out anywhere from 2 to 5 seconds. Would this be a function of the radio or service from XM? Any way to get a reset from XM?

I haven't done the software upgrade yet so would this help or do I have a more serious problem?

jacko15 08-24-2013 11:34 PM

Re: SirusXM Cuts Out

Probably Sirius/XM causing cut outs. Happens to me too, even in wide open spaces. I've watched their service deteriorate slowly but surely for a number of years now. You can try a reset from here: https://care.siriusxm.com/retailrefresh_view.action

2014RedHemiGC 08-25-2013 08:50 AM

Have noticed this as well on my other vehicles - must be XM/Sirius

dons2346 08-25-2013 10:50 AM

Funny thing is, two friends have XM and neither of theirs cuts out. I'll try the reset and see what happens. Thanks for the info.

bibowles 08-25-2013 11:20 AM

Coming from a 2011 GC I've noticed that our 2014 GC has a lot more "drop outs" and "searching for signal". When we go over to Seattle I'd say the increase is in the range of 20-30 times greater traveling Hwy 2 (Stevens Pass).

Will bring this up when I go in for the first service visit, just to get it on record in case there is a solution, otherwise radio seems to function OK for me.

jdavid 08-25-2013 12:02 PM

I have a 2014 GC and my main disappointment with the car is with the SXM dropping out. Drove on a cloudy day up in the mountains with clear sky overhead and it was pretty much unusable. My last car, the SXM was rock solid unless I went under an overpass, in a tunnel or parking structure, etc. I don't know if there are two different receivers technologies, one that was Sirius and one that was XM and we get the poorer performing technology.

jdavid 08-25-2013 01:52 PM

I just confirmed that we have XM radios and from reading, this is supposed to be there go forward technology and they will be retiring Sirius in the future. Generally people think XM has the better sound quality although this can vary. I think reception of the technologies may vary depending on your location, couldn't find anything confirming or denying one has better reception then the other. SXM customer support says there is no difference :) and to try an activation reset.

lstowell 08-26-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dons2346 (Post 882140)
Funny thing is, two friends have XM and neither of theirs cuts out. I'll try the reset and see what happens. Thanks for the info.

Does it always cut out in pretty much the same location? Or does it cut out sometimes here and sometimes there?

Mine cuts out in deep canyons presumed to have a lot of metallic content rocks.... but it also reliably cuts out near the junction of So Boulder Road and 96th street, and the only metal I see in the area is a liquor store!???

blackknight 08-26-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 882799)
Does it always cut out in pretty much the same location? Or does it cut out sometimes here and sometimes there?

Mine cuts out in deep canyons presumed to have a lot of metallic content rocks.... but it also reliably cuts out near the junction of So Boulder Road and 96th street, and the only metal I see in the area is a liquor store!???

In addition to my GC, I have a Jeep wrangler also. It seldom ever cuts out. It is something to do with either the radio or the antenna of the grand cherokee IMHO. I listed this on my Jeep survey.

dons2346 08-26-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 882799)

It cuts out here and there but it appears to get better the further south I drive maybe 15 miles. Sitting in my driveway it is terrible. I'm going to do another SXM reset tomorrow.

dons2346 08-27-2013 09:29 PM

Another reset appears to have cured the problem.